• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Joins Forces With WEBTOON for New Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:

They might still have a drama section on the site but in reality, Crunchyroll hasn't touched a drama show in years. Use the season filter on the drama section and the last show was added in Fall 2016.
My point still stands though that most people didn't complain about Crunchyroll streaming Asian dramas when they were more active with it. They just didn't watch it and ignored if they didn't have any interest in it like most people do when there's a show on Crunchyroll they don't have an interest in. And having Asian dramas on their site didn't stop Crunchyroll from licensing lots of anime. Likewise Crunchyroll has also streamed most of Rooster Teeth's animated works which I feel like is even less anime related than adapting Korean comics would be but people have accepted Rooster Teeth being on Crunchyroll for years now.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The only series I read on webtoon was Noblesse so if they can animate that, i'd be awesome.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Hardcore Leveling Warrior anime.

More realistically, The Gamer anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
The only series I read on webtoon was Noblesse so if they can animate that, i'd be awesome.

Noblesse has already gotten two OVAs. The Awakening is still available of CR. The first is a Korean production, The Beginning of Destruction, which is up on YT.

Both are well done, but short. I'd be happy to see a full series done as well. I still haven't finished the series as later on it got kind of repetitive with all the swooshing and bam-pow of the battles. I still want to know how it ended though.

I'd kill for an animation of Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell, if it was faithful to the amazing art-style (dose faces!), but there's not nearly enough content yet, even for a short OVA.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I wouldn't have guessed that Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe was made in Korea. I have only briefly visited the Webtoons website but I remember a lot of comics with a western art style and several comics mocking Christianity. That is why I am somewhat skeptical of what comics are going to get animated.

I'd suggest looking deeper then, because Webtoon has a pretty substantial amount of comics by indie artists from all around the world. And yes, while it hosts a number of US and European creators, the majority of its catalog and currently running series are by creators from Korea, Japan, and Southeast Asia. I haven't had the time to check out everything on there (there's SO MUCH) but off the top of my head I'd suggest "Mage & Demon Queen" by Color_LES
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
That's really cool I don't really read Webtoons, but I'm all for animated content!

It is kinda sad Funimation picks up most of the good anime nowadays cause I can't afford three streaming services with my crap fast food job and I have been a loyal member of Crunchyroll since even before they became legal back in 2006. Surprised

Half my shows this season I'm watching fansubbed cause Crunchyroll nor HiDive have them cause Funi has exclusive streaming rights aside from MHA,Black Clover, and Doctor Stone. I'm guessing this has more to do with studios cause CR already has contracts with cause they also got Fruits Basket which was also a Funi title.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
More animated shows is a good thing! Some series won’t be good, but that has nothing to do with their country of origin.
(Been reading the whole thread waiting for someone to point out that Crunchyroll is involved in video games and manga. They’ve been branching beyond anime for years)
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
It be nice to get an actual "The Gods of High School" anime... a guy can dream.
pikabot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Y'all are sleeping on Sword Interval.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
FrodoGate222 wrote:
Lore Olympus anime when?

It was announced a few days ago
https://twitter.com/CulturessFS/status/1183018412844503041
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
This sounds...promising, let's hope this union bears fruit.

After a Tower of God adaption (which is apparently up in the air rn) I'd also love for Noblesse, Lessa and Bastard to get the same treatment. Bastard I think could potentially be a big hit, it certainly was when it was still running on Webtoon.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
After a Tower of God adaption (which is apparently up in the air rn) I'd also love for Noblesse, Lessa and Bastard to get the same treatment.

A Noblesse adaption got announced at the same time as the Tower of God one at Seoul Comic Con.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My point still stands though that most people didn't complain about Crunchyroll streaming Asian dramas when they were more active with it. They just didn't watch it and ignored if they didn't have any interest in it like most people do when there's a show on Crunchyroll they don't have an interest in. And having Asian dramas on their site didn't stop Crunchyroll from licensing lots of anime. Likewise Crunchyroll has also streamed most of Rooster Teeth's animated works which I feel like is even less anime related than adapting Korean comics would be but people have accepted Rooster Teeth being on Crunchyroll for years now.

I don't think people were really mad about non-anime being on CR so much as High Guardian Spice specifically rubbed people the wrong way with key infamous individuals attached to the project and what its purpose was

I see this as CR just getting into Korean stuff since Korea is the 3rd biggest anime market behind Japan and China so they want to capitalize on a growing market. The few Korean manwha I've read didn't seem too different from Japanese manga in the grand scheme of things so people will probably be more open to it than a cartoon that looks like it belongs on Cartoon Network.

Last edited by DavetheUsher on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I see this as CR just getting into Korean stuff since Korea is the 3rd biggest anime market behind Japan and China so they want to capitalize on a growing market.

While Webtoon does translate Korean origin webtoons, it also allows people from around the world to publish on it, for example Lore Olympus is written by a New Zealander.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
tbrown3514 wrote:
That sounds dope! While I haven’t used that particular platform. I’ve used LezhinComics and would to see many works get animated! R

yeah, i preferred to see their stuff made, like 4 Cut Hero. But the artist had medical issue, thus gone poof. I'd love seen that made into anime.

Too bad, Crunchy digging deep,. But there are good Korean mangaka out there that deserve to be made into anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4