• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Busty Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Blood Donation Drive Poster Sparks Online Debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Not offended, just repulsed. I heard there were people like you in the world, but I don't think it ever really set in. I'm somewhat aghast that there are humans who put political correctness ahead of their fellow human's lives; to actually encounter one (albeit online) is oddly surreal. If anything, I feel sorry for you.

For what? For pointing out the elephant in the room that some people won't do good unless they get a selfish reward for it? And you're supporting this? You do good because it's the right thing to do! It's the humane thing to do! To say otherwise just makes a mockery out of the cause and only sends a message that charity needs to be bought from human beings, which isn't what we should be as a species! It's beyond me that you would even support this!
Nick4x wrote:
I'll do you one better. Let's all go give some blood Cool

TO THE RED CROSS!!! Arrow

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Come on people, we all know the true hero in all of this is the person who made the tweet. Now the blood drive has more eyes on it because of their offense-taking, a round of applause to Keiko Ōta, a true champion for blood donation.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Ryomanagare wrote:
Even if the ad is targeted more towards men is that a bad thing? Donating blood when you are petite (5-5'2") is not a good idea as it can lead to anemia or loss of consciousness.. In general people in Japan are smaller than here in America and closer to that petite height. A lot less women are going to be viable donors. Advertisements focused on getting males to donate makes more sense.

I checked with an RN before replying to this, but there are no limitations to donating blood based on height. Women ARE more likely to have anemia but it is not related to shorter height.

I am an LVN and there is definitely a size limit on who is safe to donate. Some organizations use height, some use weight, some use a sliding scale based on both. Small and petite people are far more likely to pass out or take an extended amount of time to recover. Japan is not America and their population does not have the same average height and weight that ours does.

If I was paying for an advertising campaign and had to pick between a campaign that appeals to men, almost all of whom meet donation criteria or a campaign that appeals to women (Red Cross says minimum weight is 110 LBS and average Japanese Female weight is 116, so about 30-40% of women wouldnt meet the 110lb requirment) I would definitely pay for the male campaign. Obviously the Red Cross of Japan made that same choice.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:
If I was paying for an advertising campaign and had to pick between a campaign that appeals to men, almost all of whom meet donation criteria or a campaign that appeals to women (Red Cross says minimum weight is 110 LBS and average Japanese Female weight is 116, so about 30-40% of women wouldnt meet the 110lb requirment) I would definitely pay for the male campaign. Obviously the Red Cross of Japan made that same choice.

Minimum weight to donate blood in Japan is 40kg for women and 45kg for men. It does appear there are two donation sizes (of whole blood donation) depending on weight.

Source: http://www.jrc.or.jp/donation/about/terms/
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Ryomanagare wrote:

Minimum weight to donate blood in Japan is 40kg for women and 45kg for men. It does appear there are two donation sizes (of whole blood donation) depending on weight.

That's a smart way to do it, just take less blood as a standard for populations with smaller people. I wonder what the breakdown on fandom for Uzaki is in Japan? Sometimes its surprising what media catches what eyes.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
There's not even any cleavage here, the "moral guardians" are grasping for straws like desperate rats trying to climb a cabinet for a piece of cheese.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
36 posts in half a day, and no mention of any major franchises. Is this one of those times where I get to point out the irony of overreacting to a perceived overreaction? And the second layer of irony where I only noticed this article because everyone got offended over someone's offendedness? Because it sure looks it...Oh wow, and someone actually used the phrase "nothing burger." What year is it?

The ad itself seems pretty banal to me, honestly, but I feel like the overly defensive reaction to someone criticizing it says a whole lot more. Talk about proving someone's point for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'd donate my blood for that.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
People on Twitter do love to tackle the most useless issues don't they?

Why not use the Twitter platform to improve the lives of actual Japanese women... I don't know like more morning "Women-only train cars" (while at it, why not make it a higher offence if you catch a molester. I saw so many signs in Japan equivalent to pickpocket signs in Europe. Very disgusting!). How about not forcing women to wear heels to the office (just because it looks nice)? Or how about companies stop/regulate the senpais forcing their kohai to stay with them until they finish their work (even though the younger employee what finish theirs)? Or why having to fire either husband/wife once the company noticed that they are in a relationship (or got married)?

Nahhhh people, anime boobies be on the loose? No cleavage, wholesome work inform, trying to entice people to donate for a good cause... Still too large for my taste cancel everything. Mind you... This is an anime character not a real person.

This type of idiot is the reason that companies have "personhood" in the US and are rigging elections.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
If a sexualized advertisement for blood donation (like, actually sexualized, as opposed to the one here) were to inspire twenty people to donate blood, who otherwise wouldn't, and a child with hemophilia or leukemia gets to live another day... you'd be angry with that?

I'd be puzzled which is a valid reaction to have.

MidoriUma wrote:
Would you go to that kid and tell them it's better they were dead, because someone got butthurt over a poster?

Would you go to a kid and tell them that they the person who donated blood that saved their life only did so because they saw a poster with a cartoony big breasted high schooler encouraging them to so?

And don't bother playing the "you're getting offended by a drawing argument".

MidoriUma wrote:

You're offended over a drawing, rather than offended that people are dying. What the hell is wrong with you?

No no no what is wrong with you?

Getting offended at someone dying over a natural cause as opposed to someone dying because of the selfishness or reckless behavior of another is something I've never seen anyone realistically do. Why would anyone do this, what point are you even trying to make here?

MidoriUma wrote:
I heard there were people like you in the world, but I don't think it ever really set in. I'm somewhat aghast that there are humans who put political correctness ahead of their fellow human's lives;

Not for nothing but you don't need to have sexy anime characters to encourage people to donate blood something like this would make more sense for donating sperm not blood. It's doesn't have to be a matter of political correctness to criticize this it can be a matter of practicality and necessity.

MidoriUma wrote:
To be clear, I'd happily strip naked if it means my little cousin gets a fighting chance at living to adulthood. I value life over prudishness.

Why would you strip naked to donate blood? hell why you would even hypothetically strip naked in the first place?

Couldn't come up with a less awkward looking scenario to justify your stance?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:
jyuichi wrote:
Ryomanagare wrote:

That's a smart way to do it, just take less blood as a standard for populations with smaller people. I wonder what the breakdown on fandom for Uzaki is in Japan? Sometimes its surprising what media catches what eyes.

If I'm reading your source correctly, women between 40-45kg are limited to donating 300mL. 40kg is equivalent to 88lbs, not 108lbs. A woman would have to weigh less than 88lbs to be denied the ability to donate and the original statement was about height, not weight. If the average Japanese woman is 5'2 and between 110–117 lbs. Most Japanese women can donate blood unless they are VERY slim.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Would you go to a kid and tell them that they the person who donated blood that saved their life only did so because they saw a poster with a cartoony big breasted high schooler encouraging them to so?

Wait, is there another ad out there with a large breasted high schooler?

And, if a kid were to have found out the blood they got was thanks to this campaign...would they even care? They may get a laugh out of seeing a drawing of a large breasted university/college student being something that led to someone donating blood. Though, can't imagine that a person's motivation would even be on their radar.

Quote:
"I want everyone who is in a position to make advertisements to re-evaluate who exists within public spaces other than cishet men. It's a space where everyone exists, from children to the elderly."

While I do believe that there should be more ads that would be for other audiences, this shouldn't mean that ads aimed at "cishet men" should disappear. It's an argument that I personally hate seeing, as if taking away things aimed at c-ms will then lead to others getting the spotlight. That's because I'm of the view that these other things should be added on top of, not instead of, things that are aimed at c-ms.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
I'm a feminist and I believe in a fair amount of PC, but what a lot of people don't realize on either side is that there has to be a reasonable foundation for it to matter. Like, we can definitely be critical and I wouldn't fault someone for being offended by something, even if I disagreed with them on the subject (as someone pointed out earlier, we all get offended by things, so there's a certain irony when people make fun of others getting offended by something because they disagree), but we have to weigh the thing itself as a whole before we take action on it. Think of it like a somewhat subjective, invisible point system.

This one is a bit complicated. On the one hand, I could see someone complaining about the woman being drawn like this for the manga in the first place, but the result is that she isn't (if I'm reading correctly) overtly sexualized in the manga, so the criticisms only extend to character design, giving the criticisms less weight. Here, the added context of the blood drive doesn't completely moot the point about the character design (since those who don't read the manga won't understand that she's not overtly sexualized and might assume the latter), but 1) this is a blood drive to save and better lives, and 2) the manga's popularity is almost definitely the force behind her being used, as opposed to just the sexual appeal. I find it weird to think that someone might be upset if their life was essentially saved by even a fully sexualized ad. They may not like it, but they'd probably still feel some relief knowing it went toward helping them. Not to mention, if the manga is popular enough to warrant a generic ad for the red cross, and the ad design is just a cover design of a popular manga, the thought might pass easier with that context.

As the original tweet stated (or maybe it was Professor Oak), there is a time and place for everything, but not here! Or rather, there's a good fight to be had on the miriad of other advertisements that use sexualized female characters to garner attention for less humanitarian causes, but complaining to the red cross about a generic copy-paste ad for a blood drive using a popular manga that does not actually sexualize the character at the focal point of the criticism is probably not the greatest.

Anyway, again, the complaint is fine. People are free to make discomfort they feel over something known. People are allowed to bring it up to the red cross to deliberate internally. The red cross, ultimately, is allowed to make its own decision, whatever that may be, and for whatever reason they feel is best. I just encourage people to think critically about the entire situation and look at every point both individually and as a sum before they make a case for or against it. Opinions are great, but informed opinions are way sexier. ;) And I encourage the red cross to do the same when deciding whether or not to remove the ad. Offending other people may be a strike against the ad, but it's not the entire story, so removing it just to appeal to a minority may not be in their best interest.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
I think people are missing a very basic thing with all of this. Uzaki is currently a fairly hot manga series in Japan. It's consistently sold very well with physical releases, and my assumptions are it's only a matter of time before it sees some sort of animated release. Take, the artist, likely JUMPED on any sort of collaboration and having Uzaki be on something as national as a Red Cross blood drive is a big thing for the series.

If you look into all of this in large context of having an identifiable character that, most likely, young people immediately identify then Uzaki with the teasing aspect of the text does a very good job. Sure there are plenty of other readily identifiable characters that probably could have been used, but again I think this is more of Take jumping onto a national collaboration that probably had better terms to work out than other more established characters that - I'm guessing - would have cost the Red Cross more to utilize.

Yeah Uzaki's breasts are drawn large but readers of the series know that sans a few moments in the story her breasts are not something that's a focal point. The teasing aspect is whats pronounced, and what readers will identify with.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I think people are missing a very basic thing with all of this. Uzaki is currently a fairly hot manga series in Japan. It's consistently sold very well with physical releases, and my assumptions are it's only a matter of time before it sees some sort of animated release. Take, the artist, likely JUMPED on any sort of collaboration and having Uzaki be on something as national as a Red Cross blood drive is a big thing for the series.

That's exactly what I've tried to point out here, and is precisely what I think the author of those tweets is missing.

They didn't use a random drawing of a woman with big boobs for advertising. Instead, they used the pre-existing cover art for a currently popular manga which just so happens to involve a woman with big boobs. The boobs aren't the selling point here. The fact that Uzuki is a hot trending manga is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4