• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Anime Films Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Is this why 4Kids held Weathering from theatrical screenings until 2020 when everyone else in the world has already seen it?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Hard not to see Abominable, Toy Story 4, and Frozen II making it into the final five. Maybe an anime film will take one of the other two spots?
Xe4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
All films distributed by GKIDS hahaha
I suspect they will be pushing Weathering with You particularly hard, along with "Funan" a western film they distributed this year as well.
I would not be surprised to see either or even both nominated at the awards.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
Sad that no matter who enters, Toy Story or Frozen will win "cause my kids like it".
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Sad that no matter who enters, Toy Story or Frozen will win "cause my kids like it".

Sad, but true.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
GKIDS has a solid handle on awards season politics, marketing, etc... for nominations, even despite rule changes from a couple years ago that make it much harder for said indie films to break into the nomination field (which I was positive would have a more devastating effect).

Given how they are structuring the release of the film (wide release in January during prime voting season), I fully expect all their chips to go into Weathering With You (over Promare, Children of the Sea, their additional Japanese licenses). Even just based on trailers and genre alone, it feels like a more secure bet promote-wise for Academy members.

We'll see if it can make it in next to guaranteed nominees like Toy Story 4, Frozen II, How to Train Your Dragon 3, etc...
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
GKids distros 10 of these films by the way, I don't think they're really going to make any push outside of making sure they qualify for nomination. Getting academy nomination nods are good business, especially since they are definitely going to get steamrolled by Disney's campaigns for the win.

That being said, I'd be thoroughly (and pleasantly) blown away if Toy Story 4 doesn't win.

I think that's why Japan submitted Weathering With You as their International Film submission; it has a substantially greater chance winning there (but I think Parasite is gonna nab that one).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
This actually shows an extremely tough foreign language competition. Two CG Chinese folklore movies ("White Snake" is also GKIDS), I lost count how many French and France collaboration films are there, A movie animated alone by one Latvian animator... it goes on.

As for guaranteed noms... I think the Academy has been much harder on sequels, they really have to make an impact to get nominated. Frozen 2 will have to actually be a worthy successor no matter how much money it makes, I doubt HTTYDragon 3 will get nominated.

And while it bombed, and I wasn't all that impressed, Missing Link was critically acclaimed and Laika is also very good at campaigning (and only have one film to promote). Don't count that out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1