• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ultramarine Magmell

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRPictures

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Minor correction, SDI Media only dubbed the Kabaneri: Battle of Unato movie. Studiopolis handled the first season which is what's linked here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:26 am Reply with quote
I would argue against likable central characters. Zero alone is kind of petty and self centered, while Inyo is borderline a sociopath. The shopkeeper episode alone should be enough to highlight how much of a sociopath Inyo is, how he taunts the man and ruins his finances for no good reason. But he is also kind of responsible for many deaths, from clients he even was hired by or for, to other parts of inaction where he knew a danger but would warn no one, just so he could look cool, such as knowing that all the aircraft were going to be hit down by rocks, and rather than tell anyone he kept his mouth shut. Within the show I considered Inyo responsible for the deaths of all the pilots who were likely very innocent to the situation. He could have told the company people who were already doing bad things, so they could be responsible for sending the people in, but he didn't.

Maybe I was just taking it all too seriously.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
I felt like the series isn't sure whether it want to be serious adventure, or child friendly comedic (like store owner episode). Sure there are middle grounds and many series managed to achieve that, but Magmell isn't one. The lack of clear world building didn't help either.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
I liked the first two episodes, but then the show became a series of inconsequential adventures that barely scratch the surface of the Magmell continent and its potential for intriguing stories. After checking out the untranslated source material, I understood why: almost everything after the first two episodes is anime-original material, the only exceptions being the terrible shopkeeper-centric episode and the flashback portion of the last arc.

I honestly don't get why the show's staff took that route, considering the source material drew strong praise from the likes of Yoshihiro Togashi. They didn't even introduce the third regular character who joins Inyou and Zero very early on. Could it be because his name, クー・ヤガ・クラン ("Kuu Yaga Kuran", no idea what the official romanization is), sounds a bit similar to a certain white supremacist hate group's?
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Lost interest after a few episodes. Too many basic yet flabbergasting episodic adventures to keep my interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1