• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best New Anime From Fall 2019 Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Cautious Hero is the only one that interests me.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Is fate grand order babylonia truly not a sequel though? What about the movie that came out a couple years ago?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Is fate grand order babylonia truly not a sequel though? What about the movie that came out a couple years ago?

Im sure it was mentioned on the preview guide that it was best to watch the movie before watching this anime.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

What came out wasn't a .movie. It was an OVA of sorts.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 non sequels from Fall are:

1. Ascendance of a Bookworm
2. Babylon
3. Blade of the Immortal
4. Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia
5. Chidori RSC
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this list is going to prove somewhat controversial. In other words, you must be joking!

5. Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
More like Cautious Hero: The Hero Is a C**t

4. Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia
It's OK, but totally opaque to non-fans of the franchise.

3. Babylon
This is the choice that strains my credulity the most. No, wait, actually it isn't.

2. Blade of the Immortal
All style and no substance alternating with all substance and no style. If they only had the budget and the time to do this justice it would be a masterpiece, but so many corners are cut that it's turning into a well-intentioned but fatally flawed mess.

1. Stars Align
For one thing, this isn't even about tennis, it's soft tennis. For another, how could anyone possibly put this top in a list? Unless the list was for "soft tennis anime trying but failing to come up to the standard of [Edit: lol OK it was late and I was tired, that shouldn't of course be Ro-Kyu-Bu! but instead] Softenni" And believe me, that's a pretty low bar.

Last edited by Netero on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

What came out wasn't a .movie. It was an OVA of sorts.

So I guess that means FGOB counts as a new series and not as one of the sequels they said they wouldnt be listing? Just trying to comprehend what is and is not actually a sequel
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I noticed Seven Deadly Sins and Blade of the Immortal are listed twice on the list.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm giving the top spot (of the non sequels) to oresuki

Why you ask? because it has one of the funniest running gag I have seen in recent anime right up there with the konosuba frogs.

Also am I the only one who found the second and third episodes of kenomo michi way better once they dropped the biggest edge pushing joke.

Shocked beaststars and seven deadly are doing so well on the poll since they are stuck in netflix jail
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
For new anime, my picks are Iruma-kun, ORESUKI, BEASTARS, Case files sherlock and Babylon.

-Iruma-kun: Glad to see it's high on the polls (as of this writing), I hope it make it into the daily reviews. The series is like the early parts of rosario x vampire, before that show took itself too seriously.

-BEASTARS: Also a great manga. Was worried about the animation but it has come to grow on me. The stop motion OP is fabulous, however.

-Oresuki: Great first three episodes, i am worried where it'll go from here though.

-Case files sherlock: I seem to be one of the few people who liked the premiere Embarassed

-Babylon: Liked the first two eps, although the 3rd kind of jumped the shark at the end. like Oresuki, i'm worried where it will go from here
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
For new anime, my picks are Iruma-kun, ORESUKI, BEASTARS, Case files sherlock and Babylon.

-Iruma-kun: Glad to see it's high on the polls (as of this writing), I hope it make it into the daily reviews. The series is like the early parts of rosario x vampire, before that show took itself too seriously.

-BEASTARS: Also a great manga. Was worried about the animation but it has come to grow on me. The stop motion OP is fabulous, however.

-Oresuki: Great first three episodes, i am worried where it'll go from here though.

Iruma is the surprise quality title of the season, and I will be watching all of it now.
Oresuki even if the rest of the series is trash, you can still watch the first three episodes and say that it ended happily ever after?

I just saw that op for beastars and we will have a repeat of last times fire force if that op is not at all mentioned in the best ops of fall list.
I mean to be fair this season has like no front runners yet that I have seen yet in the community, so I am saying this just on the production aspects of the op
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
As far as non-sequels are concerned, Beastars, Blade of the Immortal, OreSuki, and Babylon all had great premieres with Stars Align easily being my favorite of the year.

Also, I totally thought Stars Align was an idol show when reading a list of new shows until I actually looked at the poster.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Outburst Dreamer Boys, Kandagawa Jet Girls... I was split on that one until I found out it's another Go Zappa work; Those girls do what they do and I watch what they do... Africa Salaryman... I know this one is tanking in the user rating but I love it..., Assassins Pride and After School Dice Club.

No isekai shows, how did I do that? Just say "No isekai" You can too!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that considers Blade of the Immortal a repeat/sequel?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh neat the results are open this time animenewsnetwork.com/survey/836/result

And this reminds me of the "Your Score" feature, which apparently bugged really nicely for Gundam only, or I turned into a reviewer but forgot to turn my text in (in which case I'm sorry) https://i.imgur.com/yNLIysm.png
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4