• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ride Your Wave

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't really mind cliches in media as long as they're done well or have a new spin on them. Ride Your Wave looks amazing, and I really want to see it. Glad to know it's good! Very Happy
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
I can totally buy the premise of her dead boyfriend possessing various bodies of water
whenever she sings a pop song. But what I don't buy is how this girl can afford these gigantic apartments when she works part time at a flower shop!

All joking aside Yusasa is a master at creating appealing characters!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Just got back. By far Yuasa's most conventional work, of those I've seen- I haven't seen Lu Over the Wall yet. But it does have its magic and uniqueness, of course.

I think the most interesting aspect is that although it is set up as a tearjerker, it plays so straight with its emotions you never get manipulated. The end has the big crying moment but even that is not drawn out. You really get to watch, appreciate, and think about this story without a swooning orchestra telling you to cry.

I talked to my neighbors in the theater, a mother-daughter pair and the daughter was teasing her mother about her always crying- but all she admitted to was getting a little teary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I went to see it last night...but I kept dozing off. Ugh. It wasn't due to the movie, though, I was just tired. I was awake for more than half, though. I enjoyed what I saw.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The art was gorgious and parts of it were pretty cute, but it still felt a little flat for a Yuasa work, and most of the characters were very 2 dimensional for a story that revolved around character drama.

That being said, was I the only one who noticed some weird subtitle overlapping?
Was my theater the only one that experienced that?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
That being said, was I the only one who noticed some weird subtitle overlapping?

You weren't alone in noticing that. I saw it happen several times at the top and bottom of the screen.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

You weren't alone in noticing that. I saw it happen several times at the top and bottom of the screen.

Same at mine, which was shown at a different theater than the one that usually does the Fathom Events.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

Same at mine, which was shown at a different theater than the one that usually does the Fathom Events.

Guessing that GKIDS went with soft subtitles instead of baking them in, leading to rendering errors. I saw the same thing, though at a theater that has every anime movie release (aside from indie theater only releases like the upcoming Violet Evergarden movie).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of an interesting little detail.

in the Eunyoung Choi interview she mentions how Yuasa like to research everything. I just realized he researched the way people actually go under when drowning due to exhaustion or not being able to touch the bottom. The standard film practice is to show a person slapping the water wildly and gasping as they go down but the truth is a person will look absolutely normal and just sink suddenly. The only warning is noticing their face makes them look tired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
When I saw the movie, I didn't notice any subtitle problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1