• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Add Robotech TV Series, Films to Catalog

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather they re-release Macross, Macross Plus, and dubbed Macross Frontier, but I'm happy for people who are excited for this.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
A shame they still can't shake those crooks at Harmony Gold.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Because everyone wants to watch The Sentinels. Rolling Eyes

Go away HG. You're desperate and it shows.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Macross, Funimation, we want Macross. Accept no substitutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
FUNi is a Sony subdivision and Sony was sold a false bill of goods by Harmony Gold on a Robotech movie, which will NEVER happen.

All this is doing is giving Harmony Gold money and use of the license, which in turn is them just sticking the double bird salute at everyone who wants a Macross series localized. Their Anime Expo panel was them just going “We own Macross forever, die mad.”
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Would rather have Macross Frontier and a few others from the franchise since I already own Robotech and the original unaltered Macross, but that's probably not going to happen.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Can someone "calmly" explain this whole harmony gold/macross fiasco that has everyone up in arms?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I think this has less to do with any major change in the Macross situation and this has more to do with Sony merging more of their anime related content under Funimation like their recent streaming deal with Aniplex, and Sony has ties with the live action movie as mentioned earlier. Harmony Gold has also been trying to expand Robotech to as many streaming platforms as possible since the license renewal so this is likely going to be more of the same. Better quality subs for Macross than what they have on VUDU and a BD release of Mospeada would be nice to have though.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Can someone "calmly" explain this whole harmony gold/macross fiasco that has everyone up in arms?

There are two reasons why fans are irritated.

1) Harmony Gold made rather drastic edits to 3 completely unrelated anime in order to make "Robotech". A lot of fans see this as sacrilege.

2) Harmony Gold owns the legal rights to the trademark "Macross" in the west, and they have a history of not playing nice with others. This makes it all the more difficult for the original (un-edited) Macross, as well as the other Macross spinoffs which had nothing to do with the original, to be marketed in the west.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hard pass. When Funimation does something with MACROSS then we'll talk. They can keep that abomination known as Robotech.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

1) Harmony Gold made rather drastic edits to 3 completely unrelated anime in order to make "Robotech". A lot of fans see this as sacrilege.

2) Harmony Gold owns the legal rights to the trademark "Macross" in the west, and they have a history of not playing nice with others. This makes it all the more difficult for the original (un-edited) Macross, as well as the other Macross spinoffs which had nothing to do with the original, to be marketed in the west.

Don’t forget 3) After years of inactivity from the property and a court ruling that the rights would default to their original owners in 2021, at Anime Expo, Harmony Gold announced they had renewed the rights for an undisclosed period of time (reports initially announced it was a 35 year renewal but that was later proven false) and their announcement was framed as “We have the rights, die mad” essentially saying nothing would change, they would still block any attempt to localize Macross not going through them, and there was nothing fans could do about it.
Transformers03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think this has less to do with any major change in the Macross situation and this has more to do with Sony merging more of their anime related content under Funimation like their recent streaming deal with Aniplex, and Sony has ties with the live action movie as mentioned earlier. Harmony Gold has also been trying to expand Robotech to as many streaming platforms as possible since the license renewal so this is likely going to be more of the same. Better quality subs for Macross than what they have on VUDU and a BD release of Mospeada would be nice to have though.

I agree with everything, but they also said the new deal includes home entertainment. Do you think that Funimation will distribute new DVDs, and possibly new Blu-Rays, for Robotech? I'm pretty ignorant of this whole rights issues, and I also personally care more about Robotech and the original Macross rather than the sequels, so I am curious if this new deal can lead to new home media releases. A&E Home Video released a Robotech DVD, so surely that means Harmony Gold and Funimation have the rights to physical releases, right?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Can you go into more details for #1 please? That quote feels very vague.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
So Funimation goes from releasing Shadow Chronicles on Blu-ray and DVD, letting the rights expire and now gets it back for Streaming.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Transformers03 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I agree with everything, but they also said the new deal includes home entertainment. Do you think that Funimation will distribute new DVDs, and possibly new Blu-Rays, for Robotech? I'm pretty ignorant of this whole rights issues, and I also personally care more about Robotech and the original Macross rather than the sequels, so I am curious if this new deal can lead to new home media releases. A&E Home Video released a Robotech DVD, so surely that means Harmony Gold and Funimation have the rights to physical releases, right?

They are NEVER doing Blu-rays for Robotech. There is no possible way that will happen because of the Big West ordeal. It's going to be the same DVD set with likely the same extras, except maybe now you get The Sentinels.

MoonPhase1 wrote:
So Funimation goes from releasing Shadow Chronicles on Blu-ray and DVD, letting the rights expire and now gets it back for Streaming.

Shadow Chronicles is not on Blu-ray, only DVD. I doubt it would look good on the format because that CGI is horrendous and having it upscaled would highlight that even more. Same with the 2D animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5