• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haganai Manga Ends With 20th Volume in 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reinheit Hezen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
With that trash ending in the light novel, im surprised Haganai has 20 manga volumes, literally the worst ending in the history of romantic comedy light novels.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Reinheit Hezen wrote:
With that trash ending in the light novel, im surprised Haganai has 20 manga volumes, literally the worst ending in the history of romantic comedy light novels.

Without any big spoilers, was there something in particular that made the ending so bad? Like it wasn't what you wanted from the story, or did it just come out of left field?

Was mildly interested in the property for 2 seasons of anime, but after that didn't think enough to seek out the light novels.
Reinheit Hezen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Reinheit Hezen wrote:

Without any big spoilers, was there something in particular that made the ending so bad? Like it wasn't what you wanted from the story, or did it just come out of left field?

Was mildly interested in the property for 2 seasons of anime, but after that didn't think enough to seek out the light novels.

Well... i don't think it's possible to explain why i think the ending is so bad without giving you big spoilers, but i'll try.
The idea of friendship the author wanted to give to the readers was ok, an original one, not to good for a romantic comedy but it was acceptable. He fucked it with the development of that idea, destroying the harmony and friendship in the club with selfish actions of some characters (cough cough Kodaka and Yukimura cough cough), making Kodaka look like a d*ick and a very hateful character because of the decisions he made, and how he failed his friends, destroying the harmony and friendship of the club to the point that spoiler[ everyone left and stopped being friends ] ..... all that just to end the story like it actually started, spoiler[ with everyone returning to the club for a Christmas party 1 year later like nothing happened ] . I remember reading an article saying that the author actually ended up hating Haganai for all the criticism the ending had, but it's hard not to hate this kind of story development in a romantic comedy.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying this Manga since it began, though the last few volumes have been verging into more serious subject matter compared to its initial comedy.

Haven't seen the anime nor touched the light novels, but from what I heard, the Manga is considered the definitive version and there are divergences and apparently the story is going far past where the original novels ended? And so there's going to be a different ending, or a significantly altered one?

Anyway; good to know that it is ending soon. I look forward to it and 20 is a nice number, so I'm guessing the finish line is roughly a year away?
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The author forced the question of do you choose friendship over your personal future partnerships. The obvious happens and the consequences ruin that decision. Thats the non spoilery gist I get from people who went through with reading the end instead of pretending it doesnt exist.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
F*cking die! a give me back Hyakko damnit!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:26 am Reply with quote
I don't read the novels, so I'm not sure what all the hubbub is, but this reader loves this manga and I'm sad it'll be over...
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
I haven't read novels and still on volume 16 of manga but I've read somewhere there's gonna be different ending. There's still hope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1