• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Magma isn't defeated. Kinro will question if the mask/glasses are breaking the rules and during that brief moment Magma strikes him and knocks him out, eliminating him.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Mystery Writer wrote:
...but the real fun kicks in thanks to Suika. Still operating under her own laws of cartoon logic, she manages to unlock the true power of Kinro by upgrading him with her cool hat...
Wow, not sure how to take this, but if the writer was insinuating that Suika's "hat" had no function other than to make Kinro "look cool" then I guess someone missed the first half of Ep11 where lenses were added to correct her eyesight.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...Lucky that Suika and Kinro need the same prescription. Wink On that topic, it's kind of unrealistic that either of them would be nearsighted, even moreso that both would (especially at such a young age), since that's pretty much a side effect of reading and other chronically close-up tasks. Myopia is really rare among hunter-gatherers, and has skyrocketed over the last 300 years, alongside the growing prevalence of reading.
Again, wow...Respectfully, I couldn't guess where this comes from but as a myopic myself since age 13 and having a good friend being myopic from age 8 I can say it wasn't because we were crazy avid readers as kids! Also, lenses were made for reading before the first century AD but not because reading caused vision problems. The reason eyeglass wear has skyrocketed in the last hundred years really is because lens fabrication technology has steadily improved to the point that lenses are producible in large quantity for very low cost and more people are having eye exams. Machines for the latter have really been around only since the 1930's.

Fun facts about vision, the lens in the eye is adjustable within limits and vision problems are due to the eye shape placing the retina outside the focal plane adjustment range of the lens. The shape isn't altered by reading, lifestyle or diet but is genetically programmed and can change as a person ages. The muscles surrounding the eye alter the shape of the eye a little when you squint and that's why that works (a little). The corrective lens focal length doesn't really need to be an exact match to your eye to correct the vision noticeably.If the lens is close enough to the ideal, the eye itself can correct the rest of the way. However, lenses for near and far-sightedness correct in opposite directions, so both Kinro and Suika needed to be one or the other for the lenses to work for both. Also, it is possible to correct vision to be better than 20/20 (average) so if Kinro weren't as myopic as Suika, lenses for her could make him see better than the average person.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Respectfully, I couldn't guess where this comes from

"The available evidence suggests that both genes and environment play a crucial role in the development of juvenile‐onset myopia. When the human visual system is examined from an evolutionary perspective, it becomes apparent that humans, living in the original environmental niche for which our species is genetically adapted (as hunter‐gatherers), are either slightly hypermetropic [farsighted] or emmetropic [20/20] and rarely develop myopia. Myopia occurs when novel environmental conditions associated with modern civilization are introduced into the hunter‐gatherer lifestyle. The excessive near work of reading is most frequently cited as the main environmental stressor underlying the development of myopia. In this review we point out how a previously unrecognized diet‐related malady (chronic hyperinsulinaemia) may play a key role in the pathogenesis of juvenile‐onset myopia because of its interaction with hormonal regulation of vitreal chamber growth."
-- An evolutionary analysis of the aetiology and pathogenesis of juvenile‐onset myopia. (more where that came from, but you know how to google. Wink)

You may not have been avid readers, but I bet you were avid tv watchers or gamers, and you went to school. Smile There are also hereditary and a couple of dietary factors that may play a role, as reported in the above paper, and including phytochemicals, which are much more prevalent in h-g diets. But numerous studies have shown that, for whatever reasons, individuals in undisturbed h-g societies rarely develop myopia. Also, we're on track for 50% of the world to be nearsighted within the next 30 years (cf contemporary hunter-gatherers' rate of 0-3%), and that's a real increase, not just an artifact of the availability of glasses. Availability has no bearing on the need for them.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Hi Gina, thanks for this I appreciate it. Unfortunately, evolutionary analysis papers aren't science, just opinion masquerading like it. At best it's a theory until or unless biochemical analysis and experimentation on animal models can suggest a causal link (like to diet). Pair/Twin studies are a little closer but so many factors are uncontrolled it is difficult to be truly unequivocal and there isn't a large population available of such to derive statistics from. However, measured data is interesting and I'll take that any day.

Here is an NIH link to some data http://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/eye-health-data-and-statistics that shows incidence of myopia in the US is on the rise but the age-correlated incidence of myopia in whites has a dramatic upturn approaching 40-45 yrs old. Your study asserts that same data profile among Eskimos (h-g?) indicates Westernization is the cause but I'd say the US population aged 50-60 yrs is still fully Westernized relative to 40-45 yrs. Possibly myopia decreases with age and not because of a h-g lifestyle? It did with me I can tell you.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
The reason I cited that paper was because of the bolded sections, since you asked where the idea came from. The paper gives references for studies that measured myopia in several areas of the world with hunter gatherers still "untouched" by modern civilization, as well as varying rates of urbanization and literacy. The evolutionary analysis wasn't my point. My point was that scientists who study this, and opthalmologists and optometrists agree that myopia is rare (most seem to say 3% tops) in h-g societies, like our friends in Kohaku's village. There are varying opinions and evidence as to why, but no one is arguing that that data is flawed. (and there have been animal studies too. You can induce myopia in primates, but dogs seem to develop it on their own, probably from looking at their humans' faces all the time. Smile)

I think you're misinterpreting the Inuit study. The adults never developed myopia to any degree, but within a generation of being exposed to modern civilization via the AK pipeline, their kids hit rates similar or exceeding the rates in the rest of the US. Presumably because school, and maybe more junk food and carbohydrates. Again, the reasons you can question, but the data is the data. It wasn't that the older adults were once myopic but got better.

Anyway you're free to interpret the studies through your own anecdotal lens in whatever way you please. I've said all I'm going to about it. Don't even get me started on the viability of a gene pool that small... (maybe that's why they're all nearsighted) Smile I'm willing to accept some unlikely elements in exchange for a fun story.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
^Glad we can both agree to go on measured data as that's the backbone of science. As to your other post, I'm on the RC Ship (Ruri-Chrome) too and hope we see Kinro and the others withdraw.

@kameoosamaDefinitely a plot hole that there is no writing or written history, given that people have had such from the beginning, but then we wouldn't have something as charming as The 100 Stories.

Edit: Ep14 Well, that was improbable...but ain't Psychology fun? (it's not science though)
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on the reviews for the previous two episodes. But just wanted to point out that Senku says Magma is wearing black clothes, but they are very clearly blue. And for that matter, the manga descriptions of the characters, and colored artwork, show both Kohaku and Ruri wearing black clothes, and yet here in the show they're both blue as well.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I’m hoping the posting of new reviews to get us caught up will herald in a more timely posting of weekly reviews moving forward. I think that will increase the talkback, and more talkback makes for a livelier discussion. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I loved the last three episodes. Magma’s defeat and Ruri’s cure were well-written, hard-won victories and, as such, deeply satisfying. I really enjoyed Byakuya’s story but it made me a little teary-eyed, knowing Senku’s dad was long dead. For the others, there’s still hope that family members may one day be found and revived but, for Senku, that door is now closed. But what a great father-son bond. Trusting that his son will one day build on the ground work Byakuya laid down. Very beautiful.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The timing of the 16th episode was really great, with lining up with the announcement of that spin off series following Senku's dad and the ISS team. It definitely seems like the six of them would be able to carry a series.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping the ISS reveal would lead to clues about the petrification but alas it seems the phenomenon was a mystery to them too. I hope they don't intend to have "Gaia" magically to blame...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
That would certainly be pretty horrific, huh, helplessly watching the whole planet engulfed and realizing there's no one left down there. I'm looking forward to seeing how they're going to get down, since the Soyuz return modules only hold 3 people each. I mean, they can get down, but without support teams tracking them, I'd think it would be tricky for the two mods to land anywhere near each other. Even with guidance the normal target area is a good 25 mi wide. And once they get down, half of them will be wobbly as newborn calves. Smile

On top of all that, I'm curious as to how they ended up in Japan. A splashdown landing doesn't seem wise to me... Very Happy (no telling, manga readers!)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it would be more than a little scary. The Columbia disaster showed how there is no margin for mistakes and how screwed you are if something happens... I was assuming they had the "space life raft" already though since NASA has been working on it (not hard enough if you ask me, I wouldn't go up without it). My pet theory before this was the ISS was testing some atmospheric sensing particle beam or something and didn't know what was happening until too late.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Except it seemed to originate on the opposite side of the planet from where the ISS was. Still wondering what swallows have to do with it, especially since they started showing up well ahead of The Event.

I've not heard of a "space life raft." Since they have enough Soyuz capsules attached to get everyone down, I don't see the need for it. But I doubt any scenario they envisioned would involve everyone on Earth being incapacitated/dead in one way or another. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing how they're going to get down, since the Soyuz return modules only hold 3 people each. I mean, they can get down, but without support teams tracking them, I'd think it would be tricky for the two mods to land anywhere near each other. Even with guidance the normal target area is a good 25 mi wide. And once they get down, half of them will be wobbly as newborn calves. Smile

On top of all that, I'm curious as to how they ended up in Japan. A splashdown landing doesn't seem wise to me... Very Happy (no telling, manga readers!)

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that Weekly Shonen Jump launched a spinoff manga this week about the ISS team? Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Here is what I was talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Return_Vehicle. Original concepts assumed the crew was incapacitated after getting aboard so was a "passive" vehicle, no ground control. Of course this Ep went a different way and we see how things can go upsidedown... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5