• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I think my biggest complaint with ep 4 is how predictable everything was. The show has been much more fun when its twists and jokes are surprising or at least suitably messed up. All the making up in this ep happened in basically the most expected and straightforward ways possible, including the "twist" where spoiler[Joro is still fantasizing about being a harem protagonist] at the end.

That was more or less my feeling too. The middle segment felt like something out of a totally standard RomCom, but the protagonist had slightly more of an acerbic personality than your typical lead. I'm hoping that's just the wind up before it throws another curveball like the premiere did, since I'd rather the show not just be "romcom cliches, but everyone's kind of a jaggoff"
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
As much as I like parody, it sounds like the show is just a case of "horrible people being horrible to each others", which I get the point is for them to grow up... but that still require spending time with them being horrible : (

Any relation to "Gamers!"? Reading the summary of the episode reminded me of it for some reason. Can't find any so it's probably just a wrong hunch.

I've only read the manga up to the reveal (but not the end) of what appears to be the arc alluded to at the very end of the episode. But it seems to me that while Joro comes across as a jerk hiding in the skin of a nice guy, there is a solid core of a decent person underneath all that d-baggery (which is likely what Pansy fell for). And Cosmos will display some personal growth too, but I can't say whether or not there is any relapsing on the parts of anyone.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Come on Lynzee, tell us how you REALLY feel about this series

(sarcasm aside, why do they assign reviewers to series they clearly don't like?)
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This one lost me pretty fast. The first episode had me laughing my butt off. But by episode four I'm so bored. It's so predictable, everything's resolved so fast, and no one's personality is consistent. I do really like Pansy, but the fact that the protagonist can't figure out she's a total hottie because she wears (gasp!) glasses and (double gasp!) braids is kind of annoying rather than funny. It's a trope that got old 20 years ago.
Not sure if I'll continue with this one. Maybe the next arc will pick things up.

The first episode also reminded me quite a bit of Gamers! But that show kept its humor up for me through most of its run.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, kind of dissappointed the bench gag disappeared after only 2 episodes. Hopefully it'll be making a return considering they gave it a fair bit of prominence in the OP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Not one mention of the modified Imperial March (Star Wars) song that played when the bench showed up. The bench was the best part of the show for the first couple episodes, I miss it dearly Sad
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Come on Lynzee, tell us how you REALLY feel about this series

(sarcasm aside, why do they assign reviewers to series they clearly don't like?)

I volunteered to cover this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
I think my biggest complaint with ep 4 is how predictable everything was. The show has been much more fun when its twists and jokes are surprising or at least suitably messed up. All the making up in this ep happened in basically the most expected and straightforward ways possible, including the "twist" where spoiler[Joro is still fantasizing about being a harem protagonist] at the end.

That was more or less my feeling too. The middle segment felt like something out of a totally standard RomCom, but the protagonist had slightly more of an acerbic personality than your typical lead. I'm hoping that's just the wind up before it throws another curveball like the premiere did, since I'd rather the show not just be "romcom cliches, but everyone's kind of a jaggoff"

I don't know I think that name kind of works as a light novel tbh...

Looking forward to the next arc of RomJag.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Not one mention of the modified Imperial March (Star Wars) song that played when the bench showed up. The bench was the best part of the show for the first couple episodes, I miss it dearly Sad

I loved that too! It was so funny, I was kind of surprised by just how dangerously close to the original it was.

spoiler[don't worry, bench-kun will be back soon]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Come on Lynzee, tell us how you REALLY feel about this series (sarcasm aside, why do they assign reviewers to series they clearly don't like?)
Yeah, I wondered where that idea came from myself as it seemed like the reviewer sort of liked it... Confused

What I want to know is who the girl in the top right corner of the banner image is and what is that hand-sigh supposed to be? It looks like an arrowhead, not a heart...
myfairx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I have no previous encounter with original material of this anime so I went blind on episode 1. See alot of interest in ANN forums. But I have one huge complain with the productions / artistic style. They play with a lot of focus (I don't know the exact term) and I'm having hard time watching. Its like having mismatched glasses or something. Made me curse so much in my WhatsApp anime group when we're discussing this anime.

So I lowered the brightness on my TV and suck it up. After the first ep, glad I'm enjoying it more than I initially would.

And good job explaining the name relations and the books too. I wondered and seems they make some sense with the story.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Come on Lynzee, tell us how you REALLY feel about this series (sarcasm aside, why do they assign reviewers to series they clearly don't like?)
Yeah, I wondered where that idea came from myself as it seemed like the reviewer sort of liked it... Confused

What I want to know is who the girl in the top right corner of the banner image is and what is that hand-sigh supposed to be? It looks like an arrowhead, not a heart...

I don't know, but I bet one of the two in the right corner has got to be that girl who Sun liked in middle school and wanted to be with Joro instead.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I think now's a good time to mention that the anime hasn't done the best job of showing Joro's redeeming traits. The manga does make a point of showing that, while on the surface motivated by lust and frustrated with having to deal with how inept they are at trying to get with Sun-chan, he does see value in them as people and his efforts to help them are sincere and are as much for their sake as they are for his own. There's also the implication that spoiler[his twisted ulterior motives are just something he convinces himself of to mask his adolescent awkwardness and vulnerabilities.] The guy is still a horny, arrogant bastard, but he's not all bad.

I can see how it could be bizarre to see Sun-chan forgiven so easily for his threat of assault, but I try to look at it from the character's POV. From that, I could see Joro and Pansy letting bygones be bygones. Cosmos and Himawari are probably a different story tho. Especially Cosmos, I can't believe the student council president wouldn't have more to say on the matter. Maybe the light novel addresses this, but not likelym
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
about how absolutely disconnected from reality this scenario is

Sadly, not all that disconnected from reality. People will ignore, rationalize, or get over a lot of things that they shouldn't. I understand the objection in portraying that all too common situation without a Hays Code type clear indication that it is wrong and evil be punished. It's disconnected from our morals and ideals, not all reality.

Indeed, some rapists have used the belief that such behavior is disconnected from reality as a defense. "If he really threatened to assault you, there's no way you would have agreed to see him later and ask for homework help. Since we know the latter happened, you can't seriously ask us to believe that the assault did, can you?"
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
That's a valid point but then I'd expect the narrative to give more weight to Pansy's internal thought on that if that was supposed to be a purposeful decision. I really don't expect the situation to ever be brought up in the show again, much less an explanation from her that she felt like she had to forgive him for the sake of the group or her own desire to pretend it didn't happen/move on. That'd take more nuance than what's going on here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10