• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassins Pride

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Based theron martin aka key, how i missed ur reviews aka the one and only true anime reviewer on ann.

Yeah the anime got butchered badddddly, the ln and manga are way better not jus in the art department there so much more world building character interactions and story in the manga which the anime jus blatantly skipped there is no soul and emotion in this adaption its jus soullessly bad.

All in all they shoukd have given the first arc at least 6 episodes to make it a good adaption they failed badly by taking the 3 ep route not only making the experience worse for ln/manga fans of the series but also for newcomers it was jus that bad sadly nothing of the manga is left which left its charm on me this is jus soulless.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the people in love with how OTT and unintentionally parodic this series was in the premiere, and enjoying it for the cheese. Episode 2 wasn't nearly as accomplished in that regard, but at least it wasn't too boring.

Episode 3 was boring, at least until the last third or so when the samurai vampire assassin came back into it. After that point, the show was just pure gold. I loved it. From the terrible infodump in the middle of a fight about secret projects, to half human hybrids, to the other sensei showing up for a single attack followed by gushing about how manly and awesome the MC is and then disappearing again, to an incredibly thinly drawn...cult? Guild? Terrorist group? Oh, Bad Guys. Yeah, the bad guys are a group of Bad Guys, it checks out. I love that when the nondescript dudes in robes get killed literally nobody gives a single shit, including the other bad guys in robes.

The apex was Kufa Vampyr revealing that he is secretly A VAMPIRE, which his foe treats as this incredible shock and I just lost it. All played 100% seriously, as the review says. I love it. I'm taking bets on Merida actually literally being half Angel, put your money in now.

Also the sad cousin girl's maid is named Othello. I have no idea how we are supposed to process that, but it's approximately as relevant so far as the maid named Nietzsche and almost as entertaining.

The end of the ep with the MC tacitly encouraging his young student's obvious romantic interest in him is squicky, but also on point for the genre so it's pretty funny as well. But also squicky.

If the show could be that goofy and chuuni more often, it would be awesome. I'm hoping it keeps it up, should at least be good grist for reviews and discussions.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first episode and couldn't go further. The two main characters were changed, the plot was rushed and the terrible directing to hide the limited animation was painfully obvious. Stick to/read the manga people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
The apex was Kufa Vampyr revealing that he is secretly A VAMPIRE, which his foe treats as this incredible shock and I just lost it.

Aw, c'mon, I think that was a normal reaction. I mean, if your chuuni friend who goes around calling himself Lucard Dalv suddenly proved he actually was a vampire, wouldn't you be shocked? Laughing

Theron wrote:
The uniform designs for the Melida and her classmates are also odd choices; if they're supposed to give the impression of the girls' breasts being monstrous eyes then they have succeeded

I believe those may be pleats, implying room for...expansion. >.>
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
With a few exceptions I was actually okay with most of the cuts especially regarding the more objectionable scenes in the source material.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Boob tubes for 12 year old girls, kissing and liquid transfer, rubbing said child up and down and expressing extreme concern about him harming the figure of this young lady. Yep after that it is on the creepy side of lolita stories, Ill pass. A firm dropped show.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga :'(
At first I was happy with the anime, because I think it looks really nice and had some interesting directorial choices
But the more I thought of it the more I realised how rushed it is and how much stuff it cut out.
Episode 2 really brought it home. It didn't show any of the training Melida did with Kufa. When she does her "just because you're holding a weapon doesn't mean you'll use it" trick, it holds ZERO meaning because it didn't show Kufa doing it to her during their training.
I was also pretty sad by the scene after Melida wins, where Kufa picks her up. It's so much sweeter in the manga, he actually seems like a doting parent when he picks her up then. In the anime it was so emotionless.

I haven't read the LN so I can't say whether this is more faithful to the LN and the manga just vastly improved the story........ I'll keep watching because I like the series but I'm getting more and more disappointed.

Ep 3 was kinda boring. I was excusing the boring animation during the first few fight scenes because I thought "they'll be saving their budget for Kufa's fight" but then that fight wasn't all that great either. Such a shame, the fights in ep 1 and 2 were done well (ep 1 especially was gorgeous). I guess it's to be expected the quality would drop.

At least they did Nerva well. She's my favourite character so every scene with her was a delight lol

I do love how unsubtle Kufa being a Vampire is. I had forgotten when I was reading the manga, so when I saw his full name again I was like oh jesus. I love the manga but it is pretty chuuni at times. Kufa doing a Chuuni pose in ep 1 really reflected that.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the whole this episode is a minor improvement, if for no other reason than its content doesn't comes across as quite so corny.
Conversely, I was here precisely because of how corny the show was, so taking a turn away from that and more firmly into blandly, cheaply derivative hasn't done the show any favors for me.

Episode 6 was bad. Real bad. Did they just completely cut away from the final climactic fight scene between the MC and the assassin, or was that just me? Given how little else was animated all episode, I was just assuming that the animation staff was keeping their powder dry to give some sparkle to that final fight. But then they just...skipped it entirely, going from Kufa's undramatic arrival straight to the denouement. Just wow.

Unless it either returns to madcap chuuni form or becomes such a production train wreck that it's entertaining for the schadenfreude, I'm done with this one. I'll stick to reading the weekly reviews in hopes that it does something interesting in the remaining half of the series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I couldn't shake a covertly fetishy vibe

Covertly? Looked pretty blatant to me, especially the pink slime shower and when they were all on the floor immobilized in front of Kufa. I did get a chuckle out of this girl, who, at a glance in the quick pan across her, looked like a grubworm musume.

Yes, it was obvious that Kufa and Rosetti were behind it all, but even so, I don't think our girls acquitted themselves very well. After fleeing, the four gather and comment, "I wonder if the others made it out ok," before shrugging and deciding to go home to bed (what did happen to all those girls?). Then Lita steps on the pink slime and just stands on it while describing it in increasingly gruesome detail. smh

I was annoyed that they disrupted the party anyway. They weren't hurting anyone, and it seemed like a nice intermural tradition. But mostly I was just left wondering who the poor peon is that has to light all those candles every night and put them out (or replace them) every day. Hopefully they do it by magic...
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see screenshots of this I mistake it as SAO.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:30 am Reply with quote
The Marquis' name is Blossom Pricket, not Pickens. I figured it was foreshadowing his being a turd blossom and a prick.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has the animation taken a drop these past few episodes. Not only do the models for practically every character seems off, but even the shots are getting bland. I want to like this series, but it's getting harder to care if the effort is not there.
Bastille

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Normally an LN adaptation is designed to serve as an advertisement for it (as well as the manga if one exists, and it does in this case). I'm struggling to find how the production committee came to the conclusion that this would be the best way to go about doing so. Trying to blaze through the source material (3 episodes for Vol 1, 2 episodes for Vol 2, 1 episode for a side story or filler of minor relevance, 3 episodes for Vol 3, and then likely 3 episodes for Vol 4) is showing in how rushed and disjointed the story comes across at times. The janky animation isn't helping either.

Maybe it's a test for how badly a series can be adapted while still drawing people to the LN/manga? It's not the worst adaptation I've seen, though it's certainly down there.

I guess if the manga or LN get licensed as a result of this, it's a nice bonus for the production committee. Sentai licensing the anime doesn't bode well for that though, going off past experiences for LNs that had manga adaptations followed by anime adaptations. It's their right to do so but they don't like the promo material for the anime they've licensed being used to promote the other mediums.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Is it just me, or has the animation taken a drop these past few episodes. Not only do the models for practically every character seems off, but even the shots are getting bland. I want to like this series, but it's getting harder to care if the effort is not there.

It's not just you, I also noticed a lot of weird faces that vary from scene to scene, and the composition of the shots do feel pretty bland. The first episode set the tone well but it's unfortunate they couldn't maintain that.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
Normally an LN adaptation is designed to serve as an advertisement for it (as well as the manga if one exists, and it does in this case). I'm struggling to find how the production committee came to the conclusion that this would be the best way to go about doing so. Trying to blaze through the source material (3 episodes for Vol 1, 2 episodes for Vol 2, 1 episode for a side story or filler of minor relevance, 3 episodes for Vol 3, and then likely 3 episodes for Vol 4) is showing in how rushed and disjointed the story comes across at times. The janky animation isn't helping either.

Maybe it's a test for how badly a series can be adapted while still drawing people to the LN/manga? It's not the worst adaptation I've seen, though it's certainly down there.

I guess if the manga or LN get licensed as a result of this, it's a nice bonus for the production committee. Sentai licensing the anime doesn't bode well for that though, going off past experiences for LNs that had manga adaptations followed by anime adaptations. It's their right to do so but they don't like the promo material for the anime they've licensed being used to promote the other mediums.

At this point, I'd rather read the manga, (if it would be picked up by someone stateside, fantastic) then continue watching an adaptation whose quality is deteriorating episode by episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2