• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kenka Bancho Otome: Girl Beats Boys BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this a lot when I first saw it, but I also agree it feels too short, even for such a pared down story. While I really enjoy the premise and the characters, the length doesn’t make it feel like a justified purchase for me. I think maybe this would fare a lot better as a goofy game with the same vocal cast thrown in.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I think maybe this would fare a lot better as a goofy game with the same vocal cast thrown in.

It IS based on a goofy game with the same vocal cast. Rebecca mentioned it in the review at the end, but Kenka Bancho Otome is originally a visual novel spin-off of the Kenka Bancho open-world beat-em-up franchise. However, Rebecca kind of undersold the OG Kenka Bancho series, because she made it sound like it was some serious "King of the Mountain" franchise, when it's always been utterly goofy & never truly took itself seriously. Or, at least, it only took itself as seriously as you wanted to take it.

We only got one game released outside of Japan, the third game on PSP, but it's an utter joy to play, mainly because of the sheer amount of freedom you have. You can try to take out all of the bancho in the week you're given, sure, but you could also just waste time doing side quests, dressing up in silly outfits, get into relationships, and even just do nothing at all.

Anyway, glad to hear the anime is enjoyable, as I've been meaning to watch it, as I do have the boxset. I should probably give the 2-volume manga a go, too, since Viz put that out.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This was a really fun little show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adored this when it aired, but it was so frustrating how short it was and how disjointed the plot was from week to week, leaving hooks just hanging with no follow-up. And the bit with the "interviews" was baffling and never elaborated on. Yet even with all that, I looked forward to each episode.

I just keep hoping it might one day get a full-length series remake, in which case they can take my money if it's like an long version of these shorts.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I think maybe this would fare a lot better as a goofy game with the same vocal cast thrown in.

It IS based on a goofy game with the same vocal cast.

Oops, I should've specified that I meant the English voice cast. Embarassed I think this is fun, but I don't know that a short anime feels like a great fit for this spin-off; I think it would fare/sell better in something that allowed a longer format, like an English version of the original game.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
Is there much(or any) time spent with Hikaru at her school in this?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:06 am Reply with quote
I know we checked in with him a couple of times, but I can't recall if it was at her school or not. Don't quote me, but I think we did get a glimpse of him there...maybe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1