• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword of the Stranger [Essentials] Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Still one of my favorite anime movies of all time. It also still contains one of the best action set pieces I’ve ever seen, with its final battle.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I never get tired of watching this movie. I love everything about it! It still blows my mind that Koichi Yamadera voiced Luo-Lang. He made his voice so deep.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I've still got the Beez(Bandia) release of this, the English dub has Scott McNeil(Piccolo) as Luo-Lang, and he does a really good job, makes me miss Canadian dubs.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I, too, have the old Bandai release. I love pieces of it, but something about it as a whole never came together for me. It sometimes felt like a co-production with Disney in terms of the vibes it left me with--almost like it played things too safe and straight. It's probably about time to watch it again. It's worth checking out for sure, but it didn't blow me away personally.

Ironically, the director wanted to do a sequel at one point, and it was something that was talked about quite a bit as I recall, but it never happened.

In terms of notoriety, Sword of Stranger kind of got lost in the anime mix amidst other technical sword/melee action releases of the era, like Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, and Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:

In terms of notoriety, Sword of Stranger kind of got lost in the anime mix amidst other technical sword/melee action releases of the era, like Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, and Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.

Iunno, I'd say Sword of the Stranger is definitely more well known than Moribito. I see it recommended all the time when people are looking for anime action films, and it's final fight seems to be pretty famous.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Still one of my favorite anime movies of all time. It also still contains one of the best action set pieces I’ve ever seen, with its final battle.

Same here, I love this movie so much. Could watch it anytime.
The music too, whenever I hear that theme I can always picture that amazing final fight.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I've still got the Beez(Bandia) release of this, the English dub has Scott McNeil(Piccolo) as Luo-Lang, and he does a really good job, makes me miss Canadian dubs.

Agreed, he was a great Luo-Lang, his voice fit so well. I thought the No Name's and Kotaro's voices fit very well too. I really enjoyed the dub.
Coco-girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
Talk about a blast from the past! I used to watch this when Bandai Entertainment was still around and I watched it in theaters, and I had the bandai DVD of this. It was well-animated for a 2007 movie and the dub was amazing. I want to believe that spoiler[Nanashi didn't die in the end] but hey, it was open for interpretations.

Loved Luo-Lang's dub voice as well. It was so deep, I could melt away. I wish we saw more of his backstory, he was an interesting antagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1