• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is No Guns Life a Sure-Fire Hit?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It's really just adequate, there's nothing really special about this show once you get pass the "gun for a head". Maybe it'd be great if its your first show like it, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes when the big corporation turned out to be evil. Why not, shake up the formula a bit this time, I dunno maybe the corporation isn't evil but after they introduced to world to extended people started using them in wrong way and now the corporation is trying to fix those mistake without destroying there product/reputation, a bit more morally grey.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
This has been a lot of fun so far. I especially like that the neckline of his t-shirt looks like a shooting gallery.

Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Man this show has totally been hitting the itch I've had for another anime cyberpunk for a long time now. Everything from the setting to the characters are my jam including the goofy comedy bits that keep the show from getting overwrought with it's concepts.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I dunno maybe the corporation isn't evil but after they introduced to world to extended people started using them in wrong way and now the corporation is trying to fix those mistake without destroying there product/reputation, a bit more morally grey.
I find a man with a gun for a head far more believable than a corporation not being evil.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
meiam wrote:
I dunno maybe the corporation isn't evil but after they introduced to world to extended people started using them in wrong way and now the corporation is trying to fix those mistake without destroying there product/reputation, a bit more morally grey.
I find a man with a gun for a head far more believable than a corporation not being evil.

If you look for any terrible thing happening at the moment (Kurd being shelled, Hong Kong protester being attacked, Uyghurs concentration camp, Lebanon falling apart, Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan) and the near past (Rohingya massacre, Syria civil war, Ukraine civil war/Russia interference, Venezuela collapse, Thailand military coup and so on) very few of them are actually caused by corporation (to say nothing of all the terrible things that happen throughout history, most of which before corporation even existed). If corporation are evil it's because they're controlled by human and as such are no more evil than any large organization of people.

Noir/cyberpunk single minded focus on "corporation are the source of all evil" just comes off as childish and poorly though out That'd be fine if the action shoot were great and this more of a "turn off your brain" kinda of of show, but that's also very poor. Maybe if most character had crazy design, but aside from MC and spider lady, most are rather boring by cyberpunk/noir aesthetic.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
meiam wrote:

If you look for any terrible thing happening at the moment (Kurd being shelled, Hong Kong protester being attacked, Uyghurs concentration camp, Lebanon falling apart, Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan) and the near past (Rohingya massacre, Syria civil war, Ukraine civil war/Russia interference, Venezuela collapse, Thailand military coup and so on) very few of them are actually caused by corporation (to say nothing of all the terrible things that happen throughout history, most of which before corporation even existed). If corporation are evil it's because they're controlled by human and as such are no more evil than any large organization of people.

Noir/cyberpunk single minded focus on "corporation are the source of all evil" just comes off as childish and poorly though out That'd be fine if the action shoot were great and this more of a "turn off your brain" kinda of of show, but that's also very poor. Maybe if most character had crazy design, but aside from MC and spider lady, most are rather boring by cyberpunk/noir aesthetic.

Oh yes because listing a bunch of unrelated atrocities definitly helps you point that corporations aren’t evil. Especially when you take into account such atrocities are supplied weapons by corporations such as arms dealers & weapons manufactures which harms whatever point your trying to make.

Corporations are run by evil people because those types are the only ones who can thrive in such an environment endless capitalism provides. That’s basic common knowledge a child should know. Corporations aren’t your friends, all they want is money & they will screw you over at the slightest opportunity.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Oh yes because listing a bunch of unrelated atrocities definitly helps you point that corporations aren’t evil. Especially when you take into account such atrocities are supplied weapons by corporations such as arms dealers & weapons manufactures which harms whatever point your trying to make.

Corporations are run by evil people because those types are the only ones who can thrive in such an environment endless capitalism provides. That’s basic common knowledge a child should know. Corporations aren’t your friends, all they want is money & they will screw you over at the slightest opportunity.

The atrocities are related in that none of them are from corporation, that was fairly obvious. And if you really think weapon are the source of those problem, you should look into the Rwanda massacres, people really don't need advance weaponry to commit atrocities (to say nothing of the fact most weapon manufacturer are extremely dependent on government for support and not too long ago most of the weapon came from former soviet state, where corporation essentially didn't exist). You also obviously skipped over the part were atrocities far predate corporations.

As far as them being run by evil people... citation needed. Bill Gates was the richest man for years, not exactly evil. He support plenty of good cause. He's not the only one. It might be more of a meme atm, but Musk just gave a millions dollar to help replant tree. Maybe it's just pocket change for them (it's a lot more complicated than that), but if they were just evil people they wouldn't do it. You can find example like that throughout society. Yes they are evil corporation peoples, but they are evil poor people too, there's evil government people, evil religious people and evil people who work at non profitable organization.

Some people will screw you over at the slightest opportunity at every level of society because it's human trait. That could be an interesting topic for a show like this to cover, but no, every time something bad happen, it's always the corporation fault in the end.

If corporation really concentrated/created evil somehow, then you'd expect country with high level of corporation to be terrible failing society... This is not the case, far from it. I know it's hip to act like america/europe are failing country on the brink of collapse, but it's pretty telling that people are ready to risk they're life to try and live there rather than the other way around.
Madzack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
Two things:

1) Are there any good modern neo-noir anime you'd recommend?

2) Holy crap, is that Trump?! How many other modern anime or manga feature characters that look like Trump?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, finding out Masanor Shino is working on this certainly explains the very distinct Black Lagoon vibes I was getting during the first episode.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I am reading the manga and it is very addictive, I love stuff with cyborgs in it. I like these transhumanist notions.

MarshalBanana wrote:
meiam wrote:

This is called "corporation phobia". Corporations are a very important form of social organization that allows us to enjoy anime for instance. People like to hate large corporations because people fear what they don't understand. There is this recent book regarding big corporations: https://www.amazon.com/Big-Business-Letter-American-Anti-Hero/dp/1250110548
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
lol, serious? A big business apologist has appeared!

I think he's legit, guys.Im sure the fiery hell's cape around us is totally unrelated. Big corporations are actually our friends! The real enemy is, uh... unions! Yeah, that's it. And poor people!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1