• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Saint Seiya is the OG Psychadelic Shonen Action Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to like the saint seiya manga more than the anime, but [expletive] asgard man.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'm glad its got a new dub, I just hate Toei's horrible upscale.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
Saint Seiya Chapter 5 (The one when he revives Shiryu) it's the perfect "Shounen Anime" episode, and has the greatest "Epic Punch" in the history of Anime.

Fight me.
Xeogran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'm fan of Apollo even though he appeared for like 3 minutes total. Please continue Heaven arc somehow >w<
His design and personality were so good, despite the limited screentime.

Why can't old drama live in the past and Toei/Kurumada can't just move on.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
For me I love more the manga than the anime because of this

spoiler[In the manga the vengeance that Ikki wants is darker than in the anime because Matsumasa Kido is in fact the biological father of all the 100 "orphans" send all around the globe to obtain their respective cloth.

That's definitively something that a greek tragedy will do and I love it]

And it's baffle me how Kurumada understood well the stories of Greeks mythology my above example is a good representation of that knowledge. And I am baffled because Kurumada is a Japanese and it must be not easy to understand for a person from the east to read western mythology and grasb their meaning.

Ahhhh Saint Seiya for me it will be always the anime rival to Dragon Ball like Naruto was the rival of One Piece. Today I think the rival is Black Clover vs My Hero Academia but it's just me.

Anyway Weekly Shonen Jump rules ♥
SAG4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
SAG4 wrote:
The tournament is designed to make the Sanctuary's evil come to light. The goal of the victors would be to defeat the Sanctuary ruled by its master. But this detail was left out of the anime.

True, but I don't think the beginning of the manga foreshadows that at all, so it reads strongly like that was a reason made up after the fact. Most likely, it just had a tournament because Kurumada knew that's what the Kinnikuman crowd liked, and he came up with a way to reconcile it with the earlier dialogue later.
It's the same thing with Sagittarius armor being different from the original format, if Kurumada was creating the story in the course, he made it make sense.
So I don't think it's fair to dismiss something as a lack of planned history because it's not like there's no reasoning being followed.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Saint Seiya Chapter 5 (The one when he revives Shiryu) it's the perfect "Shounen Anime" episode, and has the greatest "Epic Punch" in the history of Anime.

Fight me.

It was the first Saint Seiya episode (half-episode actually, since I didn't catch the first half) I ever watched, and it hooked me hard. What's funny is that it looks extremely off-model because its animation was entirely outsourced to Kaname Pro, but it still works because their art style was cool as hell.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching the show again, and this time I'll finish the series in its entirety since I only watched up to the beginning of the Asgard saga. I know that Seiya is an 80s show but I always associated with the 90s since that was when the show was brought here in latin america. Speaking of which, the latin american dub has a lot of errors and inconsistencies in its translation (probaly because they used the french scripts before switching to the original japanese) and some changes in voice actors, but the acting was so good that we didn't care about it.
I hope that the entire series and the Hades saga will be dub into english so you can enjoy the enitre series like us. It would be cool if Toei can bring some other shows like the entirety of Dragon Ball (DBZ Kai is to be added soon but people here don't like it due to the voice changes which were corrected in the Final Chapters), Sailor Moon, Digimon, Slam Dunk, among others.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Xeogran wrote:
I'm fan of Apollo even though he appeared for like 3 minutes total. Please continue Heaven arc somehow >w<
His design and personality were so good, despite the limited screentime.

Why can't old drama live in the past and Toei/Kurumada can't just move on.

Well, as of right now, Kuru's spent the last 13 years or so working on and off on his own continuation of the franchise that doesn't work with that movie at all. I imagine once he finishes the current arc of the story, Toei would be more than glad to finally start animating it.

Silver Kirin wrote:
I'm currently watching the show again, and this time I'll finish the series in its entirety since I only watched up to the beginning of the Asgard saga. I know that Seiya is an 80s show but I always associated with the 90s since that was when the show was brought here in latin america. Speaking of which, the latin american dub has a lot of errors and inconsistencies in its translation (probaly because they used the french scripts before switching to the original japanese) and some changes in voice actors, but the acting was so good that we didn't care about it.
I hope that the entire series and the Hades saga will be dub into english so you can enjoy the enitre series like us. It would be cool if Toei can bring some other shows like the entirety of Dragon Ball (DBZ Kai is to be added soon but people here don't like it due to the voice changes which were corrected in the Final Chapters), Sailor Moon, Digimon, Slam Dunk, among others.

While I am enjoying the English Dub so far, I'd definitely recommend you watch the show in Japanese with subs at some point if you haven't already. Toei did some amazing casting for the series and they gave their all for their roles. Tohru Furuya (Amuro Ray, Yamcha, Tuxedo Mask) is amazing as Pegasus Seiya.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, as of right now, Kuru's spent the last 13 years or so working on and off on his own While I am enjoying the English Dub so far, I'd definitely recommend you watch the show in Japanese with subs at some point if you haven't already. Toei did some amazing casting for the series and they gave their all for their roles. Tohru Furuya (Amuro Ray, Yamcha, Tuxedo Mask) is amazing as Pegasus Seiya.[/quote]

The Japanese cast is excellent but the latin american version had so many talented voice actors both veterans and newcomers, curiously Seiya's voice actor, the late Jesús Barrero, also voiced Yamcha in Dragon Ball until he was replaced by Shiryu's voice actor, Ricardo Mendoza. And while in japanese Shun and Vegeta share the same actor in latin spanish it's Hyoga. And since you mentioned Sailor Moon, Saori's actress, Maria Fernanda Morales, voiced Sailor Venus in the original series and in Crystal too.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
There is something I never understood about this series. I don't seem to understand if sexism and masculinity are left up to discuss to the audience rather or not.

In my country Shun is almost a joke because he always tends to get his ass kicked in a it's quite sentimental. A fellow Saint, Kanon, gives him a lecture in the Hades arc about how he should not feel bad about fighting since he is also a Saint but even in Next Dimension Ikki claims Shun keeps feeling unwilling to defeat his enemies.

The other theme, sexism, starts with the first episode where Seiya feels unable to fight Shaina because she is a woman. There is some filler where Seiya fights her and another woman but in the main story he is still against it. The whole idea that female warrior should use a mask comes as quite bad to a female audience. Still, there is a female audience since the entire cast are bishonen. Clamp did their own oneshots with Seiya too.

These two themes are what apparently caused the Netflix genre change to female in Shun which wasn't that well received as it gave the idea that the woman should be the most sensitive and weakest character.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
There is something I never understood about this series. I don't seem to understand if sexism and masculinity are left up to discuss to the audience rather or not.

In my country Shun is almost a joke because he always tends to get his ass kicked in a it's quite sentimental. A fellow Saint, Kanon, gives him a lecture in the Hades arc about how he should not feel bad about fighting since he is also a Saint but even in Next Dimension Ikki claims Shun keeps feeling unwilling to defeat his enemies.

The other theme, sexism, starts with the first episode where Seiya feels unable to fight Shaina because she is a woman. There is some filler where Seiya fights her and another woman but in the main story he is still against it. The whole idea that female warrior should use a mask comes as quite bad to a female audience. Still, there is a female audience since the entire cast are bishonen. Clamp did their own oneshots with Seiya too.

These two themes are what apparently caused the Netflix genre change to female in Shun which wasn't that well received as it gave the idea that the woman should be the most sensitive and weakest character.

While Shun gets quite flanderized in the anime original stuff he is still the strongest bronze saint, he is just very kind. And while the show is sexist (Seiya's stance on fighting women, everything about Saori...), I think the mask wasn't intended to be such. Like Kuramada needed an excuse to make Seiya think Marin was his sister and having her being the only masked person around was forced and invented the rule.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya is a hit everywhere -but the U.S. of A. for reasons unknown- not just in Latin America. For starters, when anime reached Spain someone start a "We hate Seiya Club" (but comparing both Spanish dubs might start a war, so don't do it)

I admit it ret-conned itself several times and stopped making sense. First the Bronze Cloth/Armour was the only one, then the Black Knights arrived, then Phoenix, then the Santuary... then Saori was Athena.

Also, unpopular opinion: I liked the Asgard saga. It was the Poseidon one what bored me.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Saint Seiya is a hit everywhere -but the U.S. of A. for reasons unknown-

It's not "unknown" why Saint Seiya never became a hit "North of Mexico": It's because it arrived a decade too late. The US & Canada didn't receive anything Seiya until DiC's Knights of the Zodiac edit debuted on Cartoon Network (via the SVES block, not Toonami) & YTV, followed by Viz's release of the manga (which was forced to use DiC's name & terminology changes). Meanwhile, the rest of the world had received Seiya on TV back during the 90s, and by the KotZ debuted in 2003, Ronin Warriors had not only aired via syndication in the 90s, but also got fully re-aired on Toonami, earning itself a cult following. In fact, when we finally got Seiya in "North of Mexico", it actually got dissed for being a "Ronin Warriors clone", because that show came over here first, even though Samurai Troopers was Sunrise making a Saint Seiya clone.

Why did it take so long for Saint Seiya to finally make it to the US & Canada? Who knows. Translator Mari Morimoto, who's a massive fan of the series, even admitted that she had pleaded to Viz multiple times to bring over the Seiya manga before DiC got the anime, only to constantly be told that it was "too old" to be worth bringing over, yet once DiC was bringing the anime over Viz got a hold of it immediately (though there is indication that it might have been forced on them by Shueisha because of DiC's license); at least they knew to hire Morimoto for the translation when the time came.

That's the thing when it comes to Saint Seiya in the US & Canada: It simply came way too late, and all attempts to push it tend to be met with sheer ignorance, maybe a muted reception at best, which in turn has resulted in pretty much any company giving the anime a physical release either never releasing everything they had licensed (DiC, ADV, Cinedigm), or simply stopped releasing more due to piss-poor sales (Discotek). I doubt Netflix will change much of anything, but at least it looks like there's a decent chance that the original anime will at least be given the complete treatment, if only because Netflix is willing to throw money at Toei to make it happen.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Also, unpopular opinion: I liked the Asgard saga. It was the Poseidon one what bored me.

I know it's fun to crap on filler these days but I agree about Asgard and was very glad when Bamco finally covered it for the Soldier's Soul game after skipping it previously for Brave Soldiers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3