• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pocket Monsters Anime's Promo Video Previews Opening Theme

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:42 am Reply with quote
I was skeptical of this new Pokémon anime but it looks really good and very exciting. I love the animation and character designs and Go looks like a great partner for Ash. It’s great to see our first look at Scorbunny in action.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:29 am Reply with quote
Cautious optimism has turned into pure excitement, looking forward to this new pokemon series. As someone who's basically been out of the show's loop since mid DP up until the start of Sun and Moon, I'm pretty happy at the fact that I'm unironically looking forward to a pokemon season (I was initially planning on watching S&M for like 3 episodes to be a jerk to my friends but then I actually wound up liking it.)
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 am Reply with quote
Turns out, it seems to be a reboot after all, though maybe not even film AU Satoshi. The first episode is going to give us a new origin story for Pikachu, from just before he met Satoshi, as a Pichu.

https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1190176901236547585?s=19

Episode 1: "Pikachu is born!"

Edit: Between new origin stories and the confliction between whether or not Satoshi in bed is a flashback retcon or just a callback allusion is so confusing! Is this a reboot or is it not? SM ending corroborates a continuation, but there's so much surrounding this both ways, it's hard to get a good grasp of what's going on...
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i feel like this is somewhat of a reboot, as it shows on how Pikachu used to be Pichu before it evolved into Pikachu and how he met Ash at the same time.

Looks like this is the end of the Pokemon original anime, now we are going for the reboot instead. Pokemon Sword and Shield anime will never be the same at all! Anime cry

But why they have to reboot it instead of going through the sequel?

EDIT: I hope the first episode of the English dub title would like this: "The Day Before I Met Ash!".
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
I really hope this is better than SM was.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
I really am going to be mad if it it's a reboot, I wanted this season to be about Ash/Satoshi continuing his adventure throughout the past regions as the Alola champion and have his team switch between pokemon from each regions and while traveling for him to be Go's mentor and Go to be the one challenging th gym and also to see those that have met Ash/Satoshi react to him as the Alola champion, but if it's a reboot then it'll be the same sh!t all over again.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I really hope this is better than SM was.

SM's main issue was 90% of the series took place on Melemele Island and had no real plot. If the series was Satoshi being on a journey around the islands doing the trials no different than the previous series I think it would have been much better received than Satoshi being stuck in the same locale for the entire series.

If they're going to go back to Satoshi and 2 people traveling around getting badges from regions then that should alleviate that. Time will tell if the battles are back to being more than spamming beam attacks. Hopefully now that Z movies aren't the focus anymore we can go back to seeing things like Pikachu defeating big enemies with parkour skills and strategy rather than spamming Z Moves powered by Determination and Friendship.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
@Crispy45

I still consider XY series to be better than SM it was, because of the amazing story and darker plots that revolved around Ash and Greninja having a supernatural power that somehow connects their bodies to each other and Team Flare mysterious goal that uses Alain as a scheme for Lysandre's true intentions.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
I don't see why this would be a reboot. There's really nothing so far that indicates that it is.

That being said I've been waiting to see Ash's Pikachu as a Pichu for awhile now so I'm happy this is happening.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
Whether this turns out to be a reboot or a sequel of sorts, I am looking forward to it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait! Also, how's the Pokémon anime doing ratings-wise on Disney XD? I'm curious.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The animation looks great, but I am not sure if this is a continuation or a reboot, or maybe it's a soft-reboot. I always felt that Pokémon needed a reboot but with a different protagonist, with Ash/Satoshi making some appearances from time to time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well, that actually looks pretty good. I may give it a watch after not watching the show regularly since, oh, I don't know, Johto, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The animation looks great, but I am not sure if this is a continuation or a reboot, or maybe it's a soft-reboot. I always felt that Pokémon needed a reboot but with a different protagonist, with Ash/Satoshi making some appearances from time to time.

The latest episode for the anime just had a rating of 101K
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

The latest episode for the anime just had a rating of 101K

And this is on Disney XD, or TV Tokyo?

Either way, that's pretty abysmal. Nintendo should just launch a Switch-exclusive streaming service and make this new anime an exclusive on that service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2