• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season's Promo Video Reveals 6-Volume Length

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
I just can't get used to this new art style especially Sasami's redesign. OVA3 looked better than this to me. It's sad to me when I feel like the original OVAs from 20 years ago look more impressive than something that's supposed to be new and modern.
Wyaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Having a title span across so much time successfully,while maybe not inventing the harem, can safely say they fine tune the hell out of it, is very impressive. Broadcasting to cable televisions a story that now a day's would seem so edge lord paper thin plot armor heavy becoming so well recognized that it's weight isn't even mentioned like the gravity that surrounds you, mwah. Some asked WHY or HOW a scrawny kid could be so lucky. Tenchi would reply, Well if you were the God of your own universe, why not?
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh nice; the characters can actually move this time around.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
@Wyakku I dunno, while I haven't watched the more recent Tenchi stuff, I'd say it's still far more believable than most of the Isekai WN adaptations we get these days, like the unforgettably-dumb Smartphone.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just can't get used to this new art style especially Sasami's redesign. OVA3 looked better than this to me. It's sad to me when I feel like the original OVAs from 20 years ago look more impressive than something that's supposed to be new and modern.

Really? I feel like animation in general peaked in the 80s and 90s. None of the modern stuff even comes close, IMHO.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Remember when Tenchi used to be good?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Really? I feel like animation in general peaked in the 80s and 90s. None of the modern stuff even comes close, IMHO.
Nothing beats the 90s stuff but OVA3 at least looked like a finished product that could stand on it’s own and the characters at least looked like their old selves.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
Nothing beats the 90s stuff but OVA3 at least looked like a finished product that could stand on it’s own and the characters at least looked like their old selves.
Personally I thought that the characters looked off in OVA 3 especially Ryoko who's ears were way too big in OVA 3.

Hell Tenchi in Tokyo looks better then OVA 3.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
@Wyakku I dunno, while I haven't watched the more recent Tenchi stuff, I'd say it's still far more believable than most of the Isekai WN adaptations we get these days, like the unforgettably-dumb Smartphone.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Less TV anime in general was being made in the 80s and 90s and OVA series were usually short, meaning that whatever skilled talent from back then were more likely to hop from project to project as freelancers or otherwise commit to a single given production.

In the case of the Tenchi Muyo OVAs in the 90s, animators like Takeshi Honda would provide cuts like this and this and then would around the same time have provided a bit of animation for Sailor Moon and the You're Under Arrest OVAs. But someone like him has gotten much older, probably can't animate at the same pace or is otherwise being recruited on larger scale projects like the EVA Rebuild films. I can only imagine that it's a similar issue for whatever other animators that worked on the initial Tenchi Muyo OVAs. The same can also be said for some of the other staff positions and although there are more younger skilled animators, there's just a growing, stupid amount of anime every year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1