• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dropkick on My Devil! Anime Gets New Episode Before 2nd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The new "Chitose" episode will debut a new character named Lierre (Rie-ru), the head of Pekola and the other angels, who descends to Earth in the form of a little girl for a certain objective.

Given that she's an angel, shouldn't it be Liel?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:
The new "Chitose" episode will debut a new character named Lierre (Rie-ru), the head of Pekola and the other angels, who descends to Earth in the form of a little girl for a certain objective.

The Japanese pronunciation has an extended "e" vowel, which is closer the French Lierre than the Italian/Hebrew Liel. (Pekora doesn't fit any particular angel naming scheme.)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:

The Japanese pronunciation has an extended "e" vowel, which is closer the French Lierre than the Italian/Hebrew Liel. (Pekora doesn't fit any particular angel naming scheme.)

I wouldn't trust extensions at all since they tend to be completely arbitrary. I could problably make a list or words that are "katakanized" differently depending on the meaning (of the "katakanized" word, not the original) and break the character limit several times over.

Names won't always fall neatly into a convention (I mean, there IS a seraph named Metatron, which could as easily just be the name of an uninspired 80's anime robot), but if a name could fit the convention of its theme, then chances are that it was meant to fit said convention.
I mean, what are the odds of someone choosing a random name in a random language to name an angel and just coincidentally picking one that sounds like a name of the same origin language as angels and so similar to other actual angel names?

Like sure, we might have the cutesy and random Pekora (more of a reference to how she's homeless and always hungry) but a different show gave as Tapris as an angel while also having Gabriel and Raphiel which are actual angel names (even if one of them is mispelled for the sake of a cuter shortening).
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't trust extensions at all since they tend to be completely arbitrary. I could problably make a list or words that are "katakanized" differently depending on the meaning (of the "katakanized" word, not the original) and break the character limit several times over.

Names won't always fall neatly into a convention (I mean, there IS a seraph named Metatron, which could as easily just be the name of an uninspired 80's anime robot), but if a name could fit the convention of its theme, then chances are that it was meant to fit said convention.
I mean, what are the odds of someone choosing a random name in a random language to name an angel and just coincidentally picking one that sounds like a name of the same origin language as angels and so similar to other actual angel names?

Like sure, we might have the cutesy and random Pekora (more of a reference to how she's homeless and always hungry) but a different show gave as Tapris as an angel while also having Gabriel and Raphiel which are actual angel names (even if one of them is mispelled for the sake of a cuter shortening).

The possibility of mere coincidence is high, given that the other angels (not just Pekora) in the story also don't fit any particular angel naming scheme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1