• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Topic Author Column??

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiresias

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
What happened to the topic author column in the forum listings? Sometime's it can be helpful to know who started the topic, as some posters are better left ignored. Also the time posted is missing, and I just posted this but it says it's an hour old. Bring back the posting time, and leave the time since last post under it or something.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:38 pm Reply with quote
That's me trying out new stuff. I put back the author column because it's indeed very useful, but you don't like how the time is displayed? I think it's so much easier than the full date...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't like it, especially since it automatically adds an hour to the time and gives an innaccurate posting time. Maybe if you could find a way to have both and correct the hour addition problem.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I fixed the hour addition problem but the whole idea here was to make the topic list more readable, so I wouldn't put BOTH in there, that would just make everything more cluttered and defeat the original purpose.

Anybody else thinks this sucks? I can switch it back to the original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I guess part of my problem might be that it's just different than what I'm used to. But if you're going to keep it, change the forums opening page that lists the different forums so it too lists the same times as the forum lists and not the whole date. It's just inconsistent otherwise.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm not too crazy about it. It just seems faster to look and see what time and day it was posted rather than having to do the math on just where you were and what time it was 3 hours ago.

Is there a way to make it a custom option in the profile?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with it is that the column is smaller than it used to be (in width) and it's harder to see. Apparently size matters. Very Happy

I liked it better the original way, too. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Maybe we just need some time to adjust.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:55 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Personally I'm not too crazy about it. It just seems faster to look and see what time and day it was posted rather than having to do the math on just where you were and what time it was 3 hours ago.

Is there a way to make it a custom option in the profile?

Emerje

Hehe, I do the opposite. I look at the date and try to figure out how long ago that was, which is the reason why I changed to this layout.

I'll probably make it an option in the profile some day I'm bored and don't know what to do. Way things are going now, that should be in about 6 months Anime smile + sweatdrop So in the meantime I guess I'll reset it to the original since most people seem to prefer the old way.

Quote:
The only problem I have with it is that the column is smaller than it used to be (in width) and it's harder to see. Apparently size matters.

But that's what I *wanted* to do with that layout! I wanted to leave more space for the important part - the topic title!

Ah! I am sooooo misunderstood! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1