• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, these last 2 episodes have definitely turned the new ED from cute to tear-jerker.
I'm a bit surprised to hear that Byakura isn't related to Senku by blood, even though they have the same hair? I guess they did that to make SenkuxKohaku less wierd? (but really, after 3700 years, how related could they be? I mean there's supposedly like 16 million descendants of Genghis Khan today...)
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
Personally I found this part of the manga to be a pretty poor choice of story to add. It wasn't necessary to show how there were survivors and having there be only 6 (not to mention killing off several of them) is no where near enough to sustain a healthy population. Considering the science focused aspect of this story, it seems like an odd thing to overlook.

Still a great series, I just hate it when trying to over-explain something that wasn't crucial to learn or can be left up to the readers imagination knocks the story down a bit.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
I don't want to spoil much, but there is reason for us to know about the founders beyound just learning how there's a village.

spoiler[A recording of Lillian winds up playing a role to get some of Tsukasa's people to turn on him, and Byakuya wound up collecting some science material for Senku, most importantly platinum which will wind up giving him a much faster way of destoning people.]
Bexarath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
Might drop the series here. I've appreciated the adherence to scientific principles, but the village's backstory just makes no sense. 6 people can not sustain a viable population after such a long time. Also, no scientific progress was made at all? The language didn't change at all? Suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

Also, the whole Tsukasa plot has for me been the most uninteresting part of the story, and now it looks like focus is going back to it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:55 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I don't want to spoil much, but there is reason for us to know about the founders beyound just learning how there's a village.

spoiler[A recording of Lillian winds up playing a role to get some of Tsukasa's people to turn on him, and Byakuya wound up collecting some science material for Senku, most importantly platinum which will wind up giving him a much faster way of destoning people.]

Yes, but that could have all been added without going in to detail and stating that there were only 6 survivors
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
While entertaining enough for me to forgive some plot holes, several in the last couple of episodes are big enough to grouse about. There are several reasons why 6 people + 3700 years =/= one village with intact mythology minus writing (because why??) that faithfully transmits specific details about an unknown person. How many "joe-schmoes" from ancient Mesopotamia do we know personal details about? Even Gilgamesh and Nimrud/Nimrod might have been actual people but the only things we "know" are clearly fantastical. The Jews were the only group that pulled this sort of thing off and they had writing, a long-term motivation to preserve the knowledge and might I add supernatural intervention?

The writer has tried too hard to have both realism and unrealistic happenstance to make some things happen. The first order of business for some (if not all) crew members would have been to gather as much medicine and canned food as possible and/or travel to a place where that could be had. Would think they could have printed out a map before they left the ISS and had some plans for contingency. Also, try not to land on an F'n island, try for the continental US (sort of hard to miss). I'm fairly sure Soyuz capsules are meant for "land" landing after all. Maybe take a laptop or two with a solar panel? Better writing approach would have been to have people spontaneously unpetrifying over a couple of centuries and what they have would made sense (minus the 100 tales).

Another thing I have trouble with this Ep is how a bunch of musclebound hulks to shame Schwarzenegger could be found among modern Japanese guys after being unpetrified? What has Tsukasa-chwyan been feeding these people?? Also, if they are expecting a small army, why hasn't Senku gathered a lot of sulfur and other ingredients over the last 6 months and have a pile of black powder and/or anti-personnel weapons like gas grenades? The katana made in three days seems a bit too fast and don't get me started on how they are supposed to be "the best swords history has seen". Rolling Eyes
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The first order of business for some (if not all) crew members would have been to gather as much medicine and canned food as possible and/or travel to a place where that could be had. Would think they could have printed out a map before they left the ISS and had some plans for contingency. Also, try not to land on an F'n island, try for the continental US (sort of hard to miss). I'm fairly sure Soyuz capsules are meant for "land" landing after all.

I've always found the biggest pitfall of this franchise to be that - despite the fact that it has required a ton of suspension of disbelief from the very get go - it feels almost tailor-made to attract the sort of fanbase that will invariably become disappointed every time the story becomes less than grounded in reality. All I can say is that there is an entire spinoff series devoted to the ISS crew's return to Earth, and that it seems to so far be prioritizing "being heartwarming and funny" over "wrapping up the main story's apparent plot holes".
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, not interested in checking that out...I almost couldn't believe the publisher went with such a spin-off. I never cease to be amazed at publishers that somehow think that popularity of a story and set of characters means that an unrelated story and tertiary characters to the original would make a "sure fire hit" Confused

To your point, disappointment is bound to occur when consistency and commitment waver as the writing progresses. I think it's almost a cardinal sin when those elements aren't backing up things because the story undermines itself. If you have to suspend disbelief too much it means something's wrong and for me I think the existence of specifically Ishigami Village is the start of what seems to be a cascade which I hope they put to a stop to. It's no secret that I have been a fanboy of Dr. Stone but if they don't handle the Tsukasa Empire War realistically I'll be thinking of checking out...
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I find it weird that episode 18 receive only 2 stars but on community score, it receives 4.4 stars. Weird isn't?
And I may wrong but I think Gen is really, a dirty trickster.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
^Gen is one of the more interesting characters in this show if you ask me but I'd point out that he has been consistent and acted with a sense of loyalty and usually has a plan behind what he says and does. Gen acts to maximize his personal benefit and comfort but he also states that very clearly and straightforwardly too so he isn't always being deceptive.

Edit Ep22- Case in point. Also, just figured out who the little guy who was drawing the Grand Bout lineups and the science "roadmap" last Ep is supposed to be, Boichi!
3ngag3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I think you forgot to put the score for this week's episode...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the thing that keeps you going forward when you've hit a wall, the hardest and strongest thing there is the Stone World, the real treasure you found along the way. Tungsten.

Laughing That was worth quoting.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the stone Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5