• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Kemono Michi All Bark and No Bite?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 am Reply with quote
It's not a review. Though I do think that the writing and themes of a work are what's most interesting to me, so reading about how a show has no themes and follows stock tropes for its writing (or in other words, has no writing) is pretty useful.

Though it is a little futile when you're on your dozenth show that phones everything in to market trends; at this point the industry itself is what's more deserving of criticism.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
HayamiLover wrote:

I didn’t think that someday I would get isekai anime, which would completely revolve around a "pansexual" professional wrestler and a bunch of bestiality jokes, but it seems that Konosuba's author is literally going to collect all the “achievements” in the isekai comedy genre. I’m even afraid to imagine what their theoretical third work will be about.

Please excuse my use of superlatives. See I like konosuba, most of the racy jokes I am all willing to have exist. I just agree that treating the sexual assault as a joke thing that anime can do is more and more disturbing as you grow.

It really is. Black humor is a rather complicated thing, so the older we get, the more we realize that a lot of it was poorly written or even just offensive. For example, Sora no Otoshimono is a pretty funny ecchi harem when you are a teenager boy, but as a adult man you begin to see this as material for a criminal case.
Netero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Satania from Gabriel DropOut is basically the exact same character as Carmilla, but ... we're not getting a face full of her panties.

Maybe, but was seeing her on the toilet really necessary?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 am Reply with quote
I still can't get over how the main character has the same name as a character from my childhood and is kinda ruining it for me >_o
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
It's just not a This Week In Anime article until you get people whining about it in the comments. Don't like it, don't read it. Laughing
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
ChimeyChime wrote:
It's just not a This Week In Anime article until you get people whining about it in the comments. Don't like it, don't read it. Laughing

By that logic the reviewers can be told the exact same thing."Don't like it, don't watch it". Razz
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
ChimeyChime wrote:

Wouldn’t that defeat the whole point of having a comment section? Why even bother having one of you do not want commentary or dissenting views?
Meimi132

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Welp. I know my bf is really enjoying this show, and Cautious Hero, but he LOVES Konosuba. To the point he's rewatched it I don't know how many times.
I question whether him liking Kemono Michi is mostly due to the Konosuba connection, or if he actually likes it for what it is. I'm enjoying it. Not as much as him. But I'm not taking it too seriously. I don't think anyone should.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ultimately this show sins is simply using the same joke without building up on it. Like him being called "demon killer" and beating people up, the joke would have been way funnier if every time people tried to figure out why he got angry and constantly changing the name in way they'd think wouldn't anger him, but constantly failing because they can't understand that what he dislike is the idea that he kill monster.

So say:

NPC1: Crap he doesn't like being called demon killer
NPC2: Hum maybe it's because he doesn't like being called a killer
NPC1: Oh then how about "demon exterminator"

And then Gendo punch him. By the end of the series they could have this crazy overcomplicated nickname for him and the humor could come from how ridiculous the title are but always keeping the "demon killing" in it. But nope it's just the exact same joke every time, no real evolution. Cause you know how it is, if it was funny the first time, it'll be funny the 100th time.

I was thinking along the same lines during the most recent episode I watched. Genzo even says something to the effect of "I hate that name" to people he interacts with more than once as he is attacking them, yet somehow getting hit for it still comes as a surprise. Eventually, a running joke wears out if you don't do something new with it to at least freshen it up a bit.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
These guys wrote a pretty mean-spirited review for guys criticizing a show for being mean-spirited...

Kemono Michi is the funniest shows of the season and that is partly because it actually takes the feminist equality rhetoric at face value and treats the female characters exactly the same as the male characters. That ruffled some feathers with Konosuba and the same thing is happening with Kemono Michi and if it was a group of male characters getting a german suplex no one would be calling it mean-spirited. If you ignore the cringey furry humor that does occasionally go too far it is a brilliant and subversive comedy.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
ChimeyChime wrote:

By that logic the reviewers can be told the exact same thing."Don't like it, don't watch it". Razz

That makes no sense. The point of reviewing or discussing is infact your opinion of it. Whether it is negative or positive should have no barring on it. You don't have to agree with it the conclusions. The point of this column and reviews isn't to be objective as much someone take on something.

It's not as if ANN is some monolithic body either, plenty of people share different views on show too.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Grimvice wrote:
These guys wrote a pretty mean-spirited review for guys criticizing a show for being mean-spirited...

Kemono Michi is the funniest shows of the season and that is partly because it actually takes the feminist equality rhetoric at face value and treats the female characters exactly the same as the male characters. That ruffled some feathers with Konosuba and the same thing is happening with Kemono Michi and if it was a group of male characters getting a german suplex no one would be calling it mean-spirited. If you ignore the cringey furry humor that does occasionally go too far it is a brilliant and subversive comedy.

Dude, I know. I love both this show and Konosuba. The backlash against fanservice and edgy jokes I get, but I'm so tired of the hate for it, it's so annoying.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

Kemono Michi is the funniest shows of the season and that is partly because it actually takes the feminist equality rhetoric at face value and treats the female characters exactly the same as the male characters. That ruffled some feathers with Konosuba and the same thing is happening with Kemono Michi and if it was a group of male characters getting a german suplex no one would be calling it mean-spirited.

Eh, only if we got up close and personal with gently swathed penises. Wink The issue isn't with the suplexes, it's all the bizarre titillation/humilation that *only* happens with the female characters. For all the male furries, they get sexual assault played for laughs. Hooray! Laughing /sarcasm
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
As has been stated many times before, mostly by me apparently, this article is about as opinion-piece as ANN gets, and tends to be rather lefty as well, so I'm not sure why everyone gets all hung up on it doing exactly what it always does every week. The ones actually labeled "review," such as this one, still give separate letter grades to art, animation, story, and music, and usually don't talk about politics. For the umpteenth time, the existence of opinions you don't agree with does not mean they are taking over everything you know and love. Nobody on this site even makes anime, for cripe's sake.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Quote:
Satania from Gabriel DropOut is basically the exact same character as Carmilla, but ... we're not getting a face full of her panties.

Maybe, but was seeing her on the toilet really necessary?

It was. Seriously, it was really not sexual, unless you are into weird fetishes, and was well used to show the humiliation and despair of the situation. People of both gender are often shown on toilet seat in comedies, as long as we're not in "Prison School" or "Why are you here, teacher" fetish ecchi comedy it's not sexualizing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3