• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I kind of hated episode 6, but not for any of the heavier issues of exploitative content that we've been quibbling about in the comments before. Instead, I hated it because it was just not funny or even interesting.

So it wasn't just me then, good. The episode wasn't funny, it didn't have any drama and its reveal was a little too obvious for a mystery. The end result, the only result, was yet another girl who loves Joro whom he hates in return. Fine but at this point, I'm starting to think he's just too picky. He had his machinations, Asanaro had hers... fault her all you want but at least she didn't string him along and use him the way Cosmos or Himawari did. Awful people doing distasteful things to each other... what would be character development for such characters? A little bit of empathy?

Final thought:Anyone else weirded out by Pansy's design during the Flower Dance? Pansy must be breaking several laws of physics, cartoon physics and basic decency to go from flat to Jessica Rabbit like that.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Final thought:Anyone else weirded out by Pansy's design during the Flower Dance? Pansy must be breaking several laws of physics, cartoon physics and basic decency to go from flat to Jessica Rabbit like that.

Not that weird.
In reality is used in Japanese cosplay community when some girls cosplay as male characters.
There are plenty of chest biding bra and bidding articles that can reduce the chest size allot.
Maybe is a little exaggerated in Pansy but from what i know from cosplay, is possible to get almost that results in real life but from what cosplayers say, it is a bit painful if you use it for long periods.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Not that weird.
In reality is used in Japanese cosplay community when some girls cosplay as male characters.
There are plenty of chest biding bra and bidding articles that can reduce the chest size allot.
Maybe is a little exaggerated in Pansy but from what i know from cosplay, is possible to get almost that results in real life but from what cosplayers say, it is a bit painful if you use it for long periods.

Plus with loose clothing it's easier to hide that stuff - while none of the girls seem tight in their uniforms Pansy's always has more folds. It might even be a bit oversized as part of the disguise. Add in the typical exaggerations that are always part of animation and you have most of her disguise already. And while the extra stuff she likely does won't show in the medium, I expect her hairstyle, glasses, and even makeup are all chosen specifically to work against her natural features rather than with them, which help create the shift when she appeared at the dance with everything done the opposite way.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One thing still bugging me - did Asanaro orchestrate, as in rig, the vote for the Flower Dance? Because otherwise I don't see how Joro could've been voted in for the honor given all the suspicion and rumors still flying around about him, even before the "accidental" release of the article and Asanaro's ongoing gossip mongering. I either missed it or forgot if they explained who was even doing the voting, since none of the main characters seem to have voted at all. They were just informed of the results.

To tell the truth, I find the whole notion of this Flower Dance to be pretty creepy as a high school tradition. Let's pick a guy and give him 3 girls to choose his bride from!
Don't think you missed anything but from all the back-room machinations Ep6 and others bring up, I'd lay odds it was Cosmos that did the dealing. My impression is that this sort of voting is supposed to happen among the girls as a "secret". Now for the Hana-matsuri and related, some places hold versions during Obon and there are several famous public ones.

It seems there are similar folk legends about guys and girls who dance together at graduation bonfires getting married (like graduation proms here in the US) so this seems more like that than some "wife presentation" thing. Ostensibly it is a "cultural enrichment" exercise that schools in Japan are encouraged to do and I'd guess the actual function is to have a select few students "show how it's done", but of course that doesn't prevent the "unofficial agenda" from happening. Think the "break room" from the School Days cultural festival...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The general bonfire traditions don't bother me since everyone gets to choose with whom (within boundaries of reciprocation) or even if they want to dance to invoke the magic matchmaking. But Joro didn't seem to get much of a choice in this, although I suppose he could have adamantly refused. And it also seems sort of unfair that the fate-magic in this case is only available to him and one of his hand-picked consorts, rather than the entire student body. Smile
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One thing still bugging me - did Asanaro orchestrate, as in rig, the vote for the Flower Dance? Because otherwise I don't see how Joro could've been voted in for the honor given all the suspicion and rumors still flying around about him, even before the "accidental" release of the article and Asanaro's ongoing gossip mongering. I either missed it or forgot if they explained who was even doing the voting, since none of the main characters seem to have voted at all. They were just informed of the results.

To tell the truth, I find the whole notion of this Flower Dance to be pretty creepy as a high school tradition. Let's pick a guy and give him 3 girls to choose his bride from!

According to the episode, the male participant in the Flower Dance is chosen by random lottery. The girls are chosen by popularity contest - which makes it easy to believe that a girl like Pansy would have been chosen in a revote after people knew that Joro would be the boy involved. Pansy is rather unpopular, and despite how outlandish people find the concept, isn't considered attractive by the majority of the school populace. The first wave may have been voted on before anyone knew whose name was drawn, but after the third girl dropped out that was no longer an option.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
6 episodes in and meh.
None of the characters are really likeable. And something is off with the character art.
I don't plan on delving into flower meanings as this series isn't worth the investment at this stage.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Pansy is rather unpopular, and despite how outlandish people find the concept, isn't considered attractive by the majority of the school populace.
I just wanted to respond to this bit: it is the show itself that says that she is actually secretly beautiful all along, if she just takes off her glasses and undoes that ponytail. She's the Clark Kent of secret hotties. It was Joro who described her as a "busty beauty" when he caught a few glimpses of her at that baseball game, and referred to Pansy as ugly in the first episode before she took off her glasses. HE HIMSELF finds it so outlandish that the two are the same person that he literally didn't recognize her for a year at school.

Somewhat on that subject, I just wanted to put 2 pictures of Pansy side by side to show how dramatic her differing depictions are.

I feel kind of silly now for spending this much time and posting 2 pictures of an anime character's bust for this conversation, but in any case, those illustrations just aren't the same person. It's a groan-worthy thing the show does, but the most annoying part of it for me is that it's part of the far more eye-rolling cliche that it enables. Pansy couldn't just be smart and witty and by far the most interesting member of the cast, she ALSO had to secretly be conventionally super attractive for Joro (read: the audience), otherwise she wouldn't be marketable.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
And something is off with the character art.
I think what you may be thinking about is the weird little pointed turtle mouths they give the girls half the time. I'm not really sure of the intended purpose, but it has been distracting for me as well.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
And something is off with the character art.
I think what you may be thinking about is the weird little pointed turtle mouths they give the girls half the time. I'm not really sure of the intended purpose, but it has been distracting for me as well.

That might be it. Reminds me of Haganai I Don't have many friends. Which had the same issue with its characters.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
GOOD LORD Joro's mother's voice performance was the most grating thing I've heard in ages. It was nice of the show to just come out and break the 4th wall by letting us know that this was an anime original swimsuit episode. I stopped watching 5 minutes in and will joyfully skip this ep and wait until next week to give it one last shot.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Ditto for me with Joro's mom. I don't think I've heard a worse fit between character and voice. Way~~ too young. On the plus side, I absolutely loved how Sun-chan was the "winner" of the Most Fun competition and how they played that up as a flaming BL settup! Actually, I thought that was quite natural since the girls were trying way too hard and really weren't comfortable to be around if you ask me. The "nip slip" phraseology though Mad

@Ms. Szanboti- I see your point. Wonder if Japan has anything like "Sadie Hawkins" dances to even things out? On a related note, I've always thought Japan's Valentine's Day traditions seemed very lopsided and sexist.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A trip down a waterslide sees Himawari's bikini top intact

She was wearing a one piece, which made the whole nip slip thing really odd. She would've had to deliberately grab her boob and whip it out, or at least untie the neckstring, to expose a nipple in that swimsuit. Maybe that was the point, to illustrate Joro's lack of understanding of female anatomy? Then again, I'm not sure how he managed to lose his trunks either.

Quote:
Yoki might just be the previously mentioned middle school girl that Sun-chan liked but chose Jōro instead.

That's what I thought at first, and it will probably be the case, but Sun-chan did not appear to recognize her any more than Joro did. Given the lasting response her rejection precipitated, you'd think he'd remember her.

Btw, the flower is a camellia. Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall, wife of Prince Charles. Wink

This was a fairly stupid episode, but it could've been worse. It had a couple of good moments. Like how many times did the sun set while they were there? Very Happy I gotta say, regardless of how I feel about Sun-chan, he sure does have pretty eyes, at least without makeup.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I've always thought Japan's Valentine's Day traditions seemed very lopsided and sexist.

I think the opposite.
On Valentine's Day women not only give chocolate to men for whom they have romantic feelings, but also male family members, and even coworkers.

One month later on March 14th, there are the White Day and the men that received Valentine's Day chocolate have to give a gift to the woman that offer them chocolate.
So is a give and take thing so I don't know why it can be lopsided.

This week we had the obligatory pool/onsen/beach fanservice episode and ORESUKI did not fail to deliver.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
It was nice of the show to just come out and break the 4th wall by letting us know that this was an anime original swimsuit episode.

On one hand, being anime original made it one of the genuinely funny episodes.
On the other... Joro and Sun riding off together on a pink dolphin completely misses the point of why the original work turned it nose to the possibility of such a pairing.

In an unrelated related note, here's some more girls! Any work not under the name of Ken Akamatsu would have said "enough already!" or "Develop what you have!" but not here. All more girls under the nickname flower premise... three was good, five was pressing it, getting close to ten with one of them his mother is killing its own concept.

I didn't have a problem with the mother's voice as to me it sounds like Yukari Tamura doing a Yue Horie impression.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In flower language, the laurel means glory, victory while the bay leaf specifically means "unchanging until death." We could maybe loosely extrapolate the last one to represent a mother's love?

So that means the mother might end up dead? God forbid I don't want dead mom cliche hit in this anime. Again, god forbid. (Although I don't watch this anime)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10