• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Yukimura Starts Drawing Final Arc of Vinland Saga Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
50 chapters?! That’s 4 plus years! I didn’t think we were that far off, specially considering that the journey to Constantinople was skimmed over.
Oh well, I’m not complaining. I really enjoy Vinland Saga.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote
Didn't something similar happen with Bleach?
Kite announced a final arc ........ which went on for, i think, 2 or more years?
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Kite announced a final arc ........ which went on for, i think, 2 or more years?

But a final arc doesn't mean it will be short.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

Five years, actually.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Oh, i know now but when it is announced like this there is an implication that the series will end soon. I was considering dropping Bleach, but the announcement of the final arc made me decide to finish the series ... only for it to go on for five more years. Same thing with Shokugeki no Soma and, presently, Seven deadly sins. Sunk cost falacy seems to activate for me when a series i don't like says it will stop soon.
Fortunately, i still like Vinland saga, i just have bad experiences with announcements like this.

Zhou=BR wrote:

Five years, actually.

Thanks
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, even if Kentaro Miura were to announce that he was starting the final arc of Berserk, many fans still wouldn't be confident he would ever actually finish it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Much as I do love Vinland Saga, I do also like knowing that there's a finish line in sight (even if it's like, 6+ volumes out).

Doing some math, volumes tend to have 7 chapters, and if there's supposed to be at least 50 chapters left, and the series comes out monthly, that should be another 4+ years at least, and it should be another 7+ volumes at this rate.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

Except Bleach was weekly, this is monthly Wink
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Meanwhile, even if Kentaro Miura were to announce that he was starting the final arc of Berserk, many fans still wouldn't be confident he would ever actually finish it.

Sad but true.
stefand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
I find 7 volumes (less than 1/4 of the manga) not much, as this should be the main arc, the one the manga is named after.
I mean, they did not even try to get to bloody Vinland yet.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
^ Ha, that's funny to hear. I first stumbled upon the manga in the 2000's due to the Leaves' Eyes concept album Vinland Saga, which is actually based on the story of the original Vinland sagas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland_sagas I always assumed the manga would be too, until I started actually reading it this year (I refuse to watch the anime first at this point) and found that Leif Erikson's journey was a mere backstory. Not that that's a problem, I'm absolutely down for what it actually is.
stefand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
Well, i still assume the original saga is more than just backstory, as Thorfinn is also protagonist of the saga. The manga just takes a lot of time to get there. But it's time well spent.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Nodz wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Oh, i know now but when it is announced like this there is an implication that the series will end soon. I was considering dropping Bleach, but the announcement of the final arc made me decide to finish the series ... only for it to go on for five more years. Same thing with Shokugeki no Soma and, presently, Seven deadly sins. Sunk cost falacy seems to activate for me when a series i don't like says it will stop soon.
Fortunately, i still like Vinland saga, i just have bad experiences with announcements like this.

Zhou=BR wrote:

Five years, actually.

Thanks

Well Bleach arcs have pretty much always been known to be very long, even before the thousand year blood war. Just look at how long the whole arrancar arc is, I believe it was stated the final arc was going to be longer than that. I don't know if you read the manga before the final arc, but if you did, you should know. A lot of people who never read the Bleach manga (at least before the final arc) don't realize just how slow the manga's pacing was. It was so slow that the first 63 episodes was 183 chapters, and after nearly 50 episodes of filler, they had to randomly shoehorn two 20+ episode filler arcs into the arrancar arc. Even when they did 2 chapters per episode, basically every episode had a 3-5 minute recap.

Most people who had been reading the manga or paid attention to how the manga and anime's pacing knew that the final arc would be 5 years minimum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1