• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Stampede Film Director Approves of Funimation's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I mean... the Japanese side of the business also approved of the 4kids dub at first, and the people behind Utena approved of its dub.

ANN, you realize that these guys aren't picky, right? They just wanna market their things overseas. With that said, I think the dub was incredible. I just don't know what we can take seriously when it comes to the Japanese side of the business praising the dub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
What I find most interesting about the director's comments about liberal changes in the dub script which is something a lot of purist English speaking fans always seem to argue over but the director is just kind of “well that’s interesting.”
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
What I find most interesting about the director's comments about liberal changes in the dub script which is something a lot of purist English speaking fans always seem to argue over but the director is just kind of “well that’s interesting.”

Well he does live in Japan, which means he reads and watches the Japanese version. I imagine it'd be like learning how many liberties the German dub of an American cartoon takes. It might be interesting, but it doesn't really affect you at all.

louis6578 wrote:
I mean... the Japanese side of the business also approved of the 4kids dub at first, and the people behind Utena approved of its dub.

ANN, you realize that these guys aren't picky, right? They just wanna market their things overseas. With that said, I think the dub was incredible. I just don't know what we can take seriously when it comes to the Japanese side of the business praising the dub.

It's an appeal to authority argument. It's often used to defend controversial topics like live-action Hollywood adaptions, casting choices in said films, heavily localized/censored dubs, and other controversial topics by saying the original company or creator must have signed off on and so you should too. It's a bit flawed because it assumes they actually do care beyond just marketing their property in a foreign market and aren't just doing what they can to maximize profit.

Although going off the directors reaction on the liberties taken with this movies script, it seems like he wasn't really aware of the changes made until he saw them in the theater, so that's a bit telling as far as just how involved the director was in the English adaption.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Since he was in Hawaii and actually went to the movies knowing that it's in English, seems he understands English enough to pick up on these things (unlike those who don't understand the language)
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Sonny Strait brings this up a lot and always seems disingenuous about it, like Oda requested him or something. The more likely scenario is FUNi sent over a select few auditions and Toei picked between them. So yeah, you beat Eric Vale for Usopp, and he beat you for Sanji. I don't think it's as hands-on a process as they lead us on to believe.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Sonny Strait brings this up a lot and always seems disingenuous about it, like Oda requested him or something. The more likely scenario is FUNi sent over a select few auditions and Toei picked between them. So yeah, you beat Eric Vale for Usopp, and he beat you for Sanji. I don't think it's as hands-on a process as they lead us on to believe.

It wouldn't be the first time a voice actor exaggerated or just flat out lied about the way a dub is handled. Considering the dub is around 7 years behind the Japanese airing, I do question just how important we're suppose to believe it is to Toei and Oda. Didn't it get kicked off of Adult Swim years ago due to low ratings?

Although I do kind of like the idea of Eiichiro Oda flying around the world every week to all the countries One Piece is airing in and personally overseers every single cast audition and also micromanaging every script himself on top of his own 80 hour work week drawing the manga.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's an appeal to authority argument. It's often used to defend controversial topics like live-action Hollywood adaptions, casting choices in said films, heavily localized/censored dubs, and other controversial topics by saying the original company or creator must have signed off on and so you should too. It's a bit flawed because it assumes they actually do care beyond just marketing their property in a foreign market and aren't just doing what they can to maximize profit.
On the other hand, people take it at face value all the time when Japanese creators speak negatively about an anime dub like Shoji Kawamori calling Robotech a "pirated" adaptation and Anno's criticism of Funimation's initial attempt at dubbing Evangelion 3.0 and Miyazaki's famous hatred of the Warriors of the Wind dub. It just seems like a double standard to me when people accept Japanese creators' criticisms of English dubs without issue but assume they're just being polite and insincere when they say something flattering about a dub.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, people take it at face value all the time when Japanese creators speak negatively about an anime dub like Shoji Kawamori calling Robotech a "pirated" adaptation and Anno's criticism of Funimation's initial attempt at dubbing Evangelion 2.0 and Miyazaki's famous hatred of the Warriors of the Wind dub. It just seems like a double standard to me when people accept Japanese creators' criticisms of English dubs without issue but assume they're just being polite and insincere when they say something flattering about a dub.

Actually, Miyazaki hating a dub stands out for me - he is quoted as saying "Films are meant to be watched, not read" (or something close to it) so when he comes out against a specific dub he probably has problems other than the mere fact that it is a dub at all.

When the dub haterz crowd criticises one, I just tune them out - I've heard from too many people who somehow seem to get offended that dubs are available at all, as if that somehow prevents them from watching anime the way they want.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, Miyazaki hating a dub stands out for me - he is quoted as saying "Films are meant to be watched, not read" (or something close to it) so when he comes out against a specific dub he probably has problems other than the mere fact that it is a dub at all.
Miyazaki was critical of one specific dub, the 80s dub of Warriors of the Wind for the cuts and changes to the plot that it made. But my point is Japanese creators aren't as meek as people make them out to be and if the director really secretly didn't like Funimation's One Piece dub, they would likely say so like other directors and creators have done when they don't like a dub of their work.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
Miyazaki was critical of one specific dub, the 80s dub of Warriors of the Wind for the cuts and changes to the plot that it made. But my point is Japanese creators aren't as meek as people make them out to be and if the director really secretly didn't like Funimation's One Piece dub, they would likely say so like other directors and creators have done when they don't like a dub of their work.

True, but in many cases I'd have to take stuff based on each creator specifically. While not anime, Alan Moore hating an adaptation of his work doesn't make me notice, the guy hates everything. If he loves one it would catch my attention. That's why Miyazaki hating one specific dub made me notice, the guy typically insists on dubs for his works so if he hates one it makes me think it was seriously botched (I watched it as a kid so I wasn't in a position to notice then).

And while I didn't love the series, Cowboy Bebop having some of the people involved claim the dub is actually better caught my attention because of the level of the praise. In the end I couldn't stay invested in the series when I realized they fail at everything - a group of bounty hunters who can't ever collect a bounty made me lose interest.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

True, but in many cases I'd have to take stuff based on each creator specifically. While not anime, Alan Moore hating an adaptation of his work doesn't make me notice, the guy hates everything. If he loves one it would catch my attention. That's why Miyazaki hating one specific dub made me notice, the guy typically insists on dubs for his works so if he hates one it makes me think it was seriously botched (I watched it as a kid so I wasn't in a position to notice then).

And while I didn't love the series, Cowboy Bebop having some of the people involved claim the dub is actually better caught my attention because of the level of the praise. In the end I couldn't stay invested in the series when I realized they fail at everything - a group of bounty hunters who can't ever collect a bounty made me lose interest.

Are you serious? That’s pretty much every bounty hunter show ever. No bounty hunter on television or literature ever consistently collects a contract in full unless it’s a video-game. That’s such a common element in those shows that dropping Bebop because of that is kinda inane.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

Are you serious? That’s pretty much every bounty hunter show ever. No bounty hunter on television or literature ever consistently collects a contract in full unless it’s a video-game. That’s such a common element in those shows that dropping Bebop because of that is kinda inane.

My suspension of disbelief is unable to process the combination of selling someone as a cool badass while never allowing them to succeed on screen. If you have a success rate of zero, by definition you can't be a cool badass as far as I'm concerned. I can't get into any Star Wars fiction involving Boba Fett either - I refuse to swallow the notion that a guy who died to a Three Stooges gag is supposed to have been the baddest dude in the galaxy other than Darth Vader. But my introduction to the bounty hunter protagonist may have been soiled by that guy who did it for a few dollars more - he is actually in position to collect his money at the end.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

My suspension of disbelief is unable to process the combination of selling someone as a cool badass while never allowing them to succeed on screen. If you have a success rate of zero, by definition you can't be a cool badass as far as I'm concerned. I can't get into any Star Wars fiction involving Boba Fett either - I refuse to swallow the notion that a guy who died to a Three Stooges gag is supposed to have been the baddest dude in the galaxy other than Darth Vader. But my introduction to the bounty hunter protagonist may have been soiled by that guy who did it for a few dollars more - he is actually in position to collect his money at the end.

Disreharding Boba, I think you are greatly missing the pint of such stories.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
And while I dinn't love the series, Cowboy Bebop having some of the people involved claim the dub is actually better caught my attention because of the level of the praise.

Just to clear some things up, if this is about the often passed around rumor that Shinichiro Watanabe prefers the dub of Cowboy Bebop over the sub, this is false. The only comment he ever made about the dub was in an interview about the premier of the Knocking on Heven's Door movie premier he said he doesn't speak English very well but he thought the dub sounded good. Like the old kids game of telephone, the more a quote or rumor gets spread around the more it completely changes over time.

I say the difference between creators saying positive or negative things about American dubs is that a positive never hurts anyone. There's nothing but financial gain to be had by being positive, whether truthful or no. Negative, on the other hand, can burn bridges between companies and result in bad blood or loss of sales, so it carries more weight when you get cases like Studio Khara or Coolkyoushinja expressing disappointment with Funimation over the dubbing of their work.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I say the difference between creators saying positive or negative things about American dubs is that a positive never hurts anyone. There's nothing but financial gain to be had by being positive, whether truthful or no. Negative, on the other hand, can burn bridges between companies and result in bad blood or loss of sales, so it carries more weight when you get cases like Studio Khara or Coolkyoushinja expressing disappointment with Funimation over the dubbing of their work.
It still comes across as a stereotyped double standard even when we have plenty of examples of Japanese directors and creators being very outspoken when they really don't like a dub. And after what One Piece went through with the 4Kids version, if the director really had an issue with the Funimation dub, do people really think they wouldn't voice their concerns? And I'm not sure why there's this hand wringing over whether the director really means it or not when it's not like the Funimation dub of One PIece is particularly bad or hated by the fanbase to make us doubt their word. As far as I'm aware, it's a pretty solid dub especially when compared to some of Funimation's other more polarizing duhbs they've done before. Like maybe the director actually likes it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2