• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
#Blanchimont spoiler[It's still unsure what happened during the 2 years, the chapter ends before they could explain, however, i don't think they went to Vinland. Remember the trial that Halfdan gave him with the huges Narwhal horns ? it was said during this arc in chapter 106 that a one way trip to Greece where they were tasked to sell those horns takes around 1 year, so 2 years for a round trip, they can't skip this task because they need the money from selling those horns as budget for the cruise to Vinland and as far i can remember they still didn't accomplish it because of the sudden Baltic war ]
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
#Blanchimont spoiler[It's still unsure what happened during the 2 years, the chapter ends before they could explain, however, i don't think they went to Vinland. Remember the trial that Halfdan gave him with the huges Narwhal horns ? it was said during this arc in chapter 106 that a one way trip to Greece where they were tasked to sell those horns takes around 1 year, so 2 years for a round trip, they can't skip this task because they need the money from selling those horns as budget for the cruise to Vinland and as far i can remember they still didn't accomplish it because of the sudden Baltic war ]

spoiler[Yeah I think they just got back from Greece and are about to head off to Vinland for this next arc. If I remember correctly this is about where Thorfinn actually first shows up in the Greenlandic Saga.]
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:03 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Yune Amagiri wrote:

spoiler[Yeah I think they just got back from Greece and are about to head off to Vinland for this next arc. If I remember correctly this is about where Thorfinn actually first shows up in the Greenlandic Saga.]

spoiler[Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler. ...I just wanted to feel included.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

spoiler[You're both right, he's in the process of making the final preparations for the Vinland journey.
Wonder why the author decided to forgo the entire Constantinople arc? Hurrying the endgame perhaps, but why at this point?
Either way, he's certainly been busy, in a variety of ways. As of ch.166, he has a son Cool ...]
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
spoiler[You're both right, he's in the process of making the final preparations for the Vinland journey.
Wonder why the author decided to forgo the entire Constantinople arc? Hurrying the endgame perhaps, but why at this point?
Either way, he's certainly been busy, in a variety of ways. As of ch.166, he has a son Cool ...]

It pain me to say it but this arc was most likely judge as an unnecessary waste of time, a lot of people on the wikia and such were waiting for it, me include, maybe it will appear as flashback somewhere along the road. For the child, it's most likely spoiler[Karli from ch.111 even though they introduced him as their]
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 am Reply with quote
The second ending theme of this show is utter trash.
Telu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:

So, you want a generic J-Rock song?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Thorkell is now Mongo. I love that crazy MFer.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:25 am Reply with quote
Luis Enrique Teheran wrote:
leeoflittlefaith wrote:

Oh, all the openings and endings are bad. Japan in general hasn't realised that rock music is passée so it pumps out a surprising amount of boring boring rock music. But this one edges it into complete awfulness. What is this faux-Adele bullshit?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
Luis Enrique Teheran wrote:
leeoflittlefaith wrote:

Oh, all the openings and endings are bad. Japan in general hasn't realised that rock music is passée so it pumps out a surprising amount of boring boring rock music. But this one edges it into complete awfulness. What is this faux-Adele bullshit?

Wait all the OP’s & ED’s are bad? What a laughable thing to say. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel like something must have been lost in translation trough out the whole "love" discussion, does japeness have different word for love or something like that or did christian introduce a new word for love (ie godly love) and that's what was used in the discussion?

Cause otherwise it doesn't really make sense, we learn the meaning of word first and then associate that meaning with the word. People go "what's that feeling I have toward people close to me? -Oh, that's love". Claiming that a certain feeling is stronger than another (ie the feeling of "godly love" is stronger than parental love) is just fine, but it makes no sense to declare that the previous feeling "lost" or never had to right to be called such a thing in the first place. For example, people built plane that could fly slowly and not very high, later on they build plane that could go to the edge of the stratosphere and faster than the speed of sound. But at no point did anyone say "well from now on plane are only to refer to machine that can go faster than the speed of sound, everything before that is just a flying contraption", they instead called those "jet plane".

I guess if your definition of love is: "strongest possible emotion" then the conversation work. But I think most people definition of love would be along the way of "feeling husband and wife have for each others or what parent resent for there child", which doesn't prohibit a stronger/different feeling from existing, but doesn't change the feeling of love.

In the end I'm not sure if the point of the conversation was: "human are too barbaric from feeling the "best emotion" (that the priest decided to call love but isn't actually the same as parental love)" or "We're unworthy of the love God loving us the way we love our children and therefore we'll never know true love". Either way it mostly sounded like a semantic issue and is rather weak for a revelation that completely change a character. What exactly has changed in Canut world view trough this revelation?
Amarantine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
From the episode 18 review:

Quote:
I've seen a lot of love for Thorkell going around, and I wish I could say that I get it, but I honestly think that Vinland Saga's whole story would be much improved if Thorkell were anything more than a walking story obstacle with a gym membership.

I mean, it would help if you actually acknowledged that he just showed a completely new and far more introspective side to himself in this very episode. Even among the battlefield he so craves and thrives in, Thorkell still feels incomplete and that he's lacking in something, and is himself seeking an answer to the question of what makes a true warrior. Clearly he has his own story to tell, one which is intrinsically tied to one of the series' main themes.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Amarantine wrote:

I mean, it would help if you actually acknowledged that he just showed a completely new and far more introspective side to himself in this very episode. Even among the battlefield he so craves and thrives in, Thorkell still feels incomplete and that he's lacking in something, and is himself seeking an answer to the question of what makes a true warrior. Clearly he has his own story to tell, one which is intrinsically tied to one of the series' main themes.

Never thought about this.
Maybe he is just trying the way his education allowed him to? As a good norse boy?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the lack of it he sees in the hears of all humankind

hearts

Quote:
I've seen a lot of love for Thorkell going around, and I wish I could say that I get it

IMO what makes Thorkell interesting is that (without the superstrength) I can easily think he is a real flesh and blood human, because no doubt at this very moment all over the world, there are many mercenaries fighting in war (and loving it) because they are good at it (and nothing else) and said "job" gives them a lifestyle they wouldn't have otherwise, just like him and that is the reason the reviewer dislikes him, because of dislike of that kind of people* (not because he is badly written).

*Not to say James had been in any war, but that mindset is not far off from say, a football jock.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Glad you mentioned Kensho Ono’s work as Prince Canute in episode 18. He gave a really tremendous performance, running the gamut of emotions from tender to terrifying. Really compelling acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13