• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Results are in for NHK's Ultimate Rumiko Takahashi Poll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
It seems like it’s the common wisdom that Inuyasha was more popular with NA fandom and Urusei Yatsura is the most popular in Japan, so I was surprised Inuyasha ended up making it to number one in the poll.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha while not bad, was the first in series declines in Takaheshi's works. Like I said its good, and shows like Rinne or even her new work are fun; but I think they are all a step or two or three below Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Masion Ikkoku. Even stuff like Mermaid forest is arguably more interesting because its something different than what Takahashi does.

I feel like Inuyasha winning is just another case of most recent "big hit" taking the poll rather than actual best work.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I have no arguments with this list. Even the top 10 episode list is really solid. I'm amazed! Time to resume my rewatch
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I actually did enjoy One Pound Gospel quite a bit more than the majority of this list.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It seems like it’s the common wisdom that Inuyasha was more popular with NA fandom and Urusei Yatsura is the most popular in Japan, so I was surprised Inuyasha ended up making it to number one in the poll.

Historically, yes. To wit:
CrownKlown wrote:
I feel like Inuyasha winning is just another case of most recent "big hit" taking the poll rather than actual best work.

I'd image if the survey sample size is skewed more towards younger audiences, it makes sense Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 topped the list, even while the latter had a rocky start on TV, initially being cancelled when it originally aired.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
If you click on the top 6 series on NHK's site, you can see a voting breakdown, and the age of the fan was the biggest difference. It's what you'd expect based on release date; the average Urusei Yatsura fan was upper 40s, with more 50s than 30s, whereas Maison Ikkoku was right in the 40s, with an equal number of 30s and 50s, Ranma 1/2 averaged in the low 30s, Inu Yasha fans were in their 20s, and Rin-ne fans in their teens.

Maison Ikkoku was the only series which had mostly male fans (three-quarters), though while over 60% of Urusei Yatsura series fans were female, fans of UY movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer were two-thirds male. Ranma, Rin-ne, and Inu Yasha ranged from 80% to 90% female fans.

There's no denying that the earlier shows had better ratings (both being shown at regular hours plus all shows had better ratings back then), but this poll is mostly about who bothered to vote, and people being most likely to vote for the show that came along in their teens. (Much like if you had a big poll in the US about the best Saturday Night Live players.)
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think Inuyasha is one of her weakest works honestly. Good to see Ryoga in top 10 though.

Also, a clarification - female Ranma got 5th and male Ranma got 7th. Female Ranma is written in katakana and male in kanji.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Its still unfortunate that "Change the World" (along with some additonal OP/ED/insert songs) is unavailable on any US streaming or any current blu-ray releases outside of the US (which doesn't have a blu-ray set).
metalcoola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
Funny how Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer is so high on this list, considering how Takahashi-sensei disliked it.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Ranma was the first work thanks to which I met Takahashi-sensei and this anime is still my favorite of her works. A rare case when Gender Bender was organically integrated into teen comedy, and wasn't used as a loophole for the “safe” fetishization of homoerotics like many other works with a similar theme.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

If it was an issue about the age of the manga than Rinna would have done better in the poll and Inuyasha was simply the most popular manga. Inuyasha had over the top action for the shonen crowd and handsome powerful guys with romantic drama for the shoujo crowd. I think that her last two manga have been attempts to replicate the success of Inuyasha by using a similar formula.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
If you click on the top 6 series on NHK's site, you can see a voting breakdown, and the age of the fan was the biggest difference. It's what you'd expect based on release date; the average Urusei Yatsura fan was upper 40s, with more 50s than 30s, whereas Maison Ikkoku was right in the 40s, with an equal number of 30s and 50s, Ranma 1/2 averaged in the low 30s, Inu Yasha fans were in their 20s, and Rin-ne fans in their teens.

Maison Ikkoku was the only series which had mostly male fans (three-quarters), though while over 60% of Urusei Yatsura series fans were female, fans of UY movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer were two-thirds male. Ranma, Rin-ne, and Inu Yasha ranged from 80% to 90% female fans.

Pretty much describes my high school experience growing up. All the girls were into Inuyasha while all the guys were into Naruto. Some girls were into Naruto too, but mainly for Sasuke/Itachi.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

I'd image if the survey sample size is skewed more towards younger audiences, it makes sense Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 topped the list, even while the latter had a rocky start on TV, initially being cancelled when it originally aired.
That still doesn't seem like it's as different with American fandom that it's made out to be where it seems like older American fans who grew up with Animeigo's releases tend to prefer Takahashi's older works while younger fans who grew up with Inuyasha on Adult Swim like that show the best. It seems like the big difference is in age demographic rather than regional.
kyokusanagiii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
this is my rating

inuyasha 10
Maison Ikkoku 9
Ranma 1/2 7
Urusei Yatsura 6

i haven't watch the other ones yet, inuyasha has been my number one anime of all time, i have watched in 3 different languages,english,spanish and japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1