• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu to Stream 1st 'Season' of Gintama Anime With English Subtitles, English Dub on December 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:23 am Reply with quote
I hope this is a sign we might see some more episodes officially come over Smile
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this means we're getting a third cast for this show.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
Probably the biggest exposure yet, besides that one video about filler everyone shared after season 8 of Game of Thrones.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
How do we know this isnt a mistske
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
This is random, have Hulu ever dubbed an Anime, and why Gintama of all shows. Unless it is a mistake, which seems likely.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This is random, have Hulu ever dubbed an Anime, and why Gintama of all shows. Unless it is a mistake, which seems likely.

Яeverse wrote:
How do we know this isnt a mistske

I doubt it's a mistake if Hulu's willing to confirm that this is happening. Their page for the show also has separate dub/sub entries for each of the 49 episodes, so this would be an extensive error.

TV Tokyo has published one other title on Hulu that also featured an unheard of English dub.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Great to see that Gintama will be Dubbed more.

Slightly off topic and Hulu probably no longer has it but I do remember that they had all of the Full Moon o Sagashite series at one point. But I don’t have Hulu so I don’t know if the Dub continued to the end or does the Dub end at the last DVD VIZ released?
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Gintama, the early episodes pretty much sucked. Because the staff wanted to show everybody within the cast as soon as possible, their came up with their own pilot and the humor didn't stand out. Sunrise somehow was quite lazy with the animation despite their reputation and some jokes of the series are hard to translate. The anime got better later but I remember that even the Spanish dub kind of sucked to the point that some characters' voices were ridiculous.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

Third cast? I only know of the Ocean dub of S3. I do hope it’s the same cast here. Hearing Scott McNeil “reprise” Piccolo for the cameo parody was great.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

Third cast? I only know of the Ocean dub of S3. I do hope it’s the same cast here. Hearing Scott McNeil “reprise” Piccolo for the cameo parody was great.

Sentai released a dub of the Benizakura compilation film in 2012. That wasn't particularly well received and has largely been forgotten.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
So TV Tokyo funded the dub? Well that's scary, who knows what they'll do. They might not care and use the dub company that did the first dub for A.I.C.O. or dub it in Singapore like Odex & Animax Asia's bad dubs.
It can go very wrong. Hopefully they just return the Ocean cast. Although personally I wish they'd just start over with LA cast since I find they do higher quality than Ocean (sorry).
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
So TV Tokyo funded the dub? Well that's scary, who knows what they'll do. They might not care and use the dub company that did the first dub for A.I.C.O. or dub it in Singapore like Odex & Animax Asia's bad dubs.
It can go very wrong. Hopefully they just return the Ocean cast. Although personally I wish they'd just start over with LA cast since I find they do higher quality than Ocean (sorry).

I wouldn’t say one’s better than the other, but it seems like EVERYTHING that’s not Sentai or Funi are the same LA actors. I miss hearing Ocean in Anime like you did in a lot of 90s and 00s Anime.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I know he hardly ever does anime anymore, but I still stand by my opinion that Crispin Freeman would be the perfect dub voice actor for Gintoki.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wait... They are actually going to dub Gintama? This is the one anime I thought I'd never see dubbed.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Crunchyroll won't be streaming the English dub of season 1.

Levonr wrote:
They might not care and use the dub company that did the first dub for A.I.C.O. or dub it in Singapore like Odex & Animax Asia's bad dubs.

Or they actually put love and care into the dub by commissioning it to Ocean, or another reputable ADR studio. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2