• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu to Stream 1st 'Season' of Gintama Anime With English Subtitles, English Dub on December 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
As much as I love Gintama, the early episodes pretty much sucked. Because the staff wanted to show everybody within the cast as soon as possible, their came up with their own pilot and the humor didn't stand out. Sunrise somehow was quite lazy with the animation despite their reputation and some jokes of the series are hard to translate. The anime got better later but I remember that even the Spanish dub kind of sucked to the point that some characters' voices were ridiculous.

They really didn’t suck. The first like 10 or so weren’t as well produced, paced, or directed as they could have been. But character and builtup wise they were good. And the show is actually good overall from early on. You’ll really notice this on rewatch. Just cause it’s not explosive or in your face, doesn’t mean it sucks. It is it’s own thing. And that’s fine. Of course the show later develops into a straight up masterpiece, but the beginning wasn’t bad despite it being weaker than the rest of the show for the most part.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
I love Gintama, but the problem with me is that I really don't like reading manga online and almost HAVE to read it physically. I also watch shows dubbed even if the sub is technically "better" so it's kind of been tough since only the first 23 volumes are available physically, and only the first movie and episodes 266-316 are actually dubbed. Everything I have seen from Gintama has been some of the best shit I've ever read and if I could experience Gintama in the way I prefer to watch anime Gintama would most likely be my favorite anime of all time. So the fact that the first 49 episodes are now getting dubbed is probably some of the best news I could ever hear in my life. This makes me so incredibly happy that I can finally start watching the show from the beginning. I don't know if the entire show will get dubbed or even if the voice cast from the 2015 anime is gonna be in this (which is my main prayer at the moment), but I am so very excited right now and it has given me hope.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
As much as I love Gintama, the early episodes pretty much sucked. Because the staff wanted to show everybody within the cast as soon as possible, their came up with their own pilot and the humor didn't stand out. Sunrise somehow was quite lazy with the animation despite their reputation and some jokes of the series are hard to translate. The anime got better later but I remember that even the Spanish dub kind of sucked to the point that some characters' voices were ridiculous.

They really didn’t suck. The first like 10 or so weren’t as well produced, paced, or directed as they could have been. But character and builtup wise they were good. And the show is actually good overall from early on. You’ll really notice this on rewatch. Just cause it’s not explosive or in your face, doesn’t mean it sucks. It is it’s own thing. And that’s fine. Of course the show later develops into a straight up masterpiece, but the beginning wasn’t bad despite it being weaker than the rest of the show for the most part.

Sorachi himself admitted twice that the series' beginning was so bad that Shueisha almost cancelled the manga. As a result, he decided to introduce the Shinsengumi earlier than scheduled to catch more fans. It still wasn't that popular until the chapter were we learn of Otose's past.

Also, compare the first episodes with Gintoki vs Hosen and you will see amazing contrast in terms of animation Sunrise can produce.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the Four of a Kind dub by some studio in Miami? Hope it's not the same dolts who did the awful AICO dub.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Wasn't the Four of a Kind dub by some studio in Miami? Hope it's not the same dolts who did the awful AICO dub.

It wasn't, but that doesn't mean its dub is any better. I've yet to hear something recorded in Miami that's decent and I've heard far more than most.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the little bump, but it's up on Hulu. Watched it last night and uhhhh, it's definitely not Bang Zoom or Ocean. It sounds REALLY rough and amateurish.

Like a poster said above, I'm more of a dub person these days, so I was looking for a reason to finally get into Gintama. Since I'm not really familiar with the show, I can't really comment on translation or anything like that. Though I know Americanized humor when I see it. Kagura telling their meek employer he can "buff up like John Cena".

Worse thing is that it seems on a technical side the episodes are messed up. I tend to leave Captions on for streaming stuff, even for English dubbed anime and the timing was WAY off. Also, there's no ending theme . It just sorta ends at the "On the next episode..." portion. And instead of playing the next episode it jumps straight to the first episode of World Trigger.

Also the captions had something like "Hey! You Hulu people!" before getting cut off which makes me think the dub was definitely made with Hulu viewers in mind.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Sorry for the little bump, but it's up on Hulu. Watched it last night and uhhhh, it's definitely not Bang Zoom or Ocean. It sounds REALLY rough and amateurish.

Like a poster said above, I'm more of a dub person these days, so I was looking for a reason to finally get into Gintama. Since I'm not really familiar with the show, I can't really comment on translation or anything like that. Though I know Americanized humor when I see it. Kagura telling their meek employer he can "buff up like John Cena".

Worse thing is that it seems on a technical side the episodes are messed up. I tend to leave Captions on for streaming stuff, even for English dubbed anime and the timing was WAY off. Also, there's no ending theme . It just sorta ends at the "On the next episode..." portion. And instead of playing the next episode it jumps straight to the first episode of World Trigger.

Also the captions had something like "Hey! You Hulu people!" before getting cut off which makes me think the dub was definitely made with Hulu viewers in mind.

Yeah, the dub is very much a gag dub. They also reference James Cameron's Avatar despite the fact the anime predates the film by about 4 years
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing some fun things about this dub. The crew apparently thought 300 yen is equivalent to $300 ... completely negating a cheapskate joke. Zura is inexplicably changed to Cobra. You've got whatever happened here and even features some time edits. Why is a dub that's only available on a streaming service edited for time? Beats me.

There are no English credits, but it's definitely not Ocean. I'm inclined to believe this is another Miami production. The weak deliveries, localized dialogue and unrecognizable voices coupled with TV Tokyo's Hulu dub past point to that. I've also heard this dub features narrated signs, which is not something you commonly hear in English dubs. The only modern anime dub I know doing that is Captain Tsubasa's, which was done in Miami.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I've been hearing some fun things about this dub. The crew apparently thought 300 yen is equivalent to $300 ... completely negating a cheapskate joke. Zura is inexplicably changed to Cobra. You've got whatever happened here and even features some time edits. Why is a dub that's only available on a streaming service edited for time? Beats me.

There are no English credits, but it's definitely not Ocean. I'm inclined to believe this is another Miami production. The weak deliveries, localized dialogue and unrecognizable voices coupled with TV Tokyo's Hulu dub past point to that. I've also heard this dub features narrated signs, which is not something you commonly hear in English dubs. The only modern anime dub I know doing that is Captain Tsubasa's, which was done in Miami.

Don't forget the Avatar reference. Which didn't premier in theaters until like 4 years after Gintama's anime started.

Seems like a full on gag dub to me, only without the removal of Japanese names. Kind of interesting a dub like this exists outside of TV kids anime in 2019. I though the Japan side was too hands on these days to let companies do another Shin-chan or Ghost Stories

I'm laughing that the Umibozu thing though. Sounds like the VA said the wrong name and they didn't catch it until after he had gone home and were either too lazy, too cheap, or too time crunched to bring him back in to re-record so they just took care of it in post.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Does Hulu only have the dub, or also subs, for Gintama? They seem to be amassing an impressive library. I ran into a few anime series on there recently that I'd somehow missed over the past decade or two -- nothing stellar, but certainly a few decent shows, like The Sacred Blacksmith.

Hopefully competition won't lead to a sad averaging of Crunchyroll's generally decent quality with other platform's so-far mediocre-to-bad showings. It'd be really nice if each of Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu could be hauled up to Crunchy's standards rather than the other way 'round. And if Crunchy's account/payment management practices could, similarly, be hauled up to those of the other services.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2