• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Rules Vic Mignogna Must Pay US$238,042 to Defendants in Lawsuit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
{Edit:} I removed your post. Trollish bait posts like this do nothing but only incite others to take the bait. Stop. ~ Psycho 101
Rentwo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Seems like everyone got lowballed. I guess there's not much of a reason for him not to file an appeal now.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Getting off easy based on my understanding of what he could have been billed.

Time for him and his clown lawyer to ride off into the sunset and (hopefully) never be heard from again.

I can dream. Instead, I'm sure there will still be cons of ill repute like Anime Matsuri and anything run by Ryan Kopf that will be more than happy to book this loser.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Seems like everyone got lowballed. I guess there's not much of a reason for him not to file an appeal now.

Seems to me there's 287,500 reasons not to appeal:
Quote:
Additionally, the judgment listed US$287,500 in contingent fees that Mignogna may have to pay if he chooses to appeal.

…especially considering he went 0-for-17 the first time.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
So ANN has no problem reporting on Vic Mignogna,but nothing on the Rooster Teeth vice president,really?

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-accused-of-brutally-attacking-wife-no-longer-employed-by-rooster-teeth/
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
From what I have heard, a fairly large chuck of defendants' fees could get taken care of by their professional liability insurance in situations where the case is dismissed so early and so completely (I'm not sure how big a chunk, but you have to figure that Sony will have made sure that Funimation has a good insurance package), so the fact that this doesn't cover 100% of the defendants' lawyers' stated fees might not end up being that big of a nuisance for them?

Rentwo wrote:

Quote:
Additionally, the judgment listed US$287,500 in contingent fees that Mignogna may have to pay if he chooses to appeal.

Seems like a decent reason not to file an appeal, unless he's absolutely sure it's going to work. Not to mention he's still on the hook for his own attorney's fees.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news to hear Very Happy How he crawls in a hole,and isn't heard for a while. Though I'm sure he'll spin the whole thing. Nice to see he'll be held accountable financially at least.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
So ANN has no problem reporting on Vic Mignogna,but nothing on the Rooster Teeth vice president,really?

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-accused-of-brutally-attacking-wife-no-longer-employed-by-rooster-teeth/

RT is only superficially connected to anime.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Seems like a decent reason not to file an appeal, unless he's absolutely sure it's going to work. Not to mention he's still on the hook for his own attorney's fees.

I was under the impression he didn't pay for his own legal fees due to crowdfunding, but maybe I'm mistaken.

But yes, that is kind of the point of an appeal. I'm just saying the judgement was incredibly undercut when the whole purpose of sanctions and fees is to deter people from more lawsuits and appeals, which doesn't seem to be the case here. I don't think an extra $50K per defendant if he appeals is enough to deter someone when the alternative is worth a lot more to him.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Over the weekend, I looked up to see if there was an update because I thought a decision was supposed to be made on Friday.

A commentator who has been following the case for Dallas News wrote up a piece actually stating that she thought he made a good case for himself on the 21st. She has always been accused of being 'not partial' since she was like every other follower who thought Ty Beard was orchestrating a dumpster fire but absurdly enough, wouldn't you know, when she published this piece she finally got comments from Vic supporters about showing sense. LOL
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope this will be the last we hear from this situation. Except if Mignogna goes to jail. I hope he does.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The price of not falling gracefully.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Rentwo wrote:

Seems to me there's 287,500 reasons not to appeal:
Quote:

…especially considering he went 0-for-17 the first time.

I do wonder if that wasn't some of the reasoning for the amount chosen. Adding the contingent fees would come pretty close to giving the defendants all the attorney fees they requested when added to this judgment. Vic's decision to file in the first place likely had a component of feeling like he had nothing to lose, so if he was ordered to pay all of it, he might feel the same way about appealing. Losing on every single count should be enough of a clue that his case was a dud, though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
-Breathes in deep-

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The final slap of reality. He had no case, he had no argument, and he had no judgment. Good riddance.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

The thing is, the lowball number indicates the judge found the suit so frivolous that the defense was running up the score with excessive filings. Going for an appeal after that will be a slaughter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6