• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: After Near 10 Year Streak, Misaka Loses Her Top Spot in Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!'s Chara

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otastorian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about the Vic Granola situation, the real scandal is right here!!

In all seriousness though, I didn't realize how popular Bunny Girl and Classroom of the Elite were, especially not compared to the massive power of an otaku cult classic like the Index series. When the Bunny Girl anime was airing, it really just seemed like another flavor of the season type of show, and really, the only reason I know about it is from ads from Crunchyroll I saw around the net, not so much from word of mouth. I only even know Classroom of the Elite by name. If Japanese readers like the characters enough to vote them over Misaka, that's actually a really big deal, so I guess I'll have to check these series out and see what the hype is all about.
Pedram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I think they did some kind of change to the voting this year.

this year, not only the Female ranking, but the novel ranking seems to point toward "newer series". I'm thinking the collaborator voting or the score system favoring the newer series more. or series which were in top 10 less than others.

Index got shot out of Top 10 in the novel ranking as well, along with SAO, both of which were in top almost every single year in the last decade.

Asuna is also out of Top 10 Female Ranking even tho she was Rank 3 last year in 2019 and not only that, she was pretty much rank 2~5 every single year since she joined top 10 back in 2011.

Plus she is still topping Rank 1 or at least top 10, month after months in NewType Magazine Ranking. ( last 2 month she was rank 1 i think )
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The newbies did good but lets see how they do in the years to come. I wonder if they'll be able to keep a high spot when the competition is so tough. Especially the Male section where characters like Toma, Accelerator and Kirito have been high for years.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Pedram wrote:
this year, not only the Female ranking, but the novel ranking seems to point toward "newer series". I'm thinking the collaborator voting or the score system favoring the newer series more. or series which were in top 10 less than others.

It's not just a bunch of new series, though. It's specifically new school life series. Some of them, like Bunny Girl Senpai, have fantastic elements, but even that's grounded in an otherwise realistic setting. The bunko list is the only one where isekai and secondary-world fantasy dominated, so this may be a sign that Japanese readers -- especially the ones who buy the cheaper tankobon -- are tired of isekai power fantasies.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
8 outta 10 years on top is pretty damn solid.

That said, surprised how popular the Classroom of the Elite characters are considering the anime adaptation sold so very poorly in Japan.
HannoX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to accept as legitimate any poll that knocks Misaka out of the top spot.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
5) Minami Nanami (Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki)

Mimimi is a Good.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
It's not just a bunch of new series, though. It's specifically new school life series. Some of them, like Bunny Girl Senpai, have fantastic elements, but even that's grounded in an otherwise realistic setting. The bunko list is the only one where isekai and secondary-world fantasy dominated, so this may be a sign that Japanese readers -- especially the ones who buy the cheaper tankobon -- are tired of isekai power fantasies.

Looking back at the 2019, 2018, and 2017 rankings, those genres have primarily just dominated the larger tankobon rankings, and besides a few big hits like Re:Zero and Konosuba, haven’t really had much showing in the cheaper bunkobans (I think you switched the two names), so I don’t know that I would read into the results like that.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:
I refuse to accept as legitimate any poll that knocks Misaka out of the top spot.

I agree with that.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Classroom of the Elites is the toilet.
mognator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
To those that don't know.

Classroom of the Elite is super popular in the light novel sphere.

It's actually one of the top 5-7 in regards to sales. Only below SAO, Mahouka, Konosuba, and Re:Zero, Overlord when a volume comes out.

When the anime aired, it got immediate emergency reprints. It got even more popular when the anime fucked up a certain character's introduction (Kei) just to push another one (Horikita) to the forefront to the point that, well, fans in the know were so mad. Even China got in the action. For at least 2 weeks, after the showing of episode 7 it was being ridiculed as "Horikita of the Elite". The anime studio that was producing the anime had add Kei to the banner of the official anime site to quell the fan's anger. Even the LN author got in the action. He was the one who wrote the anime's final episode preview notice. Don't believe me? Here's his preview of the final episode[url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ze3h7cAp0I[/url].

But this little mishap actually added to the popularity of the LN which actually has continued up to now.

Lastly I'll add a little tidbit on how popular Kei Karuizawa is. Kei Karuizawa's last meaningful appearance up to the latest volume which is volume 11.5 is at volume 7.5. Released at January 2018. Almost 2 years ago. She showed up in volumes 8, 9, 10, and 11. But very sparingly. Maybe only a few paragraphs or whatnot.

Why am I making a big deal about volume 11.5? Because volume 11.5 has one big damn turning point chapter for her. And it is B I G (in a good way). The poll closed days before volume 11.5 came out. And SHE STILL WON. That's how popular she is. She was almost damn missing in action for 2 years (reader's perspective) the volumes that were coming out were pushing other girl's into the limelight, and they weren't even able to hold a candle against her.

So yeah. You guys can make fun of it because the anime was literally bad as hell. But the light novels are really really popular in the LN sphere in Japan.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
mognator wrote:
was literally bad as hell.

Okay minor nitpick but unless you've actually been to actual hell this is hyperbole.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:24 am Reply with quote
mognator wrote:
To those that don't know.

So yeah. You guys can make fun of it because the anime was literally bad as hell. But the light novels are really really popular in the LN sphere in Japan.

As bad as the anime of Classroom was it can't compare to the true hell that is Index season 3! I cry every time I see people use the anime of Index to judge the series as a whole Crying or Very sad
Lero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:25 am Reply with quote
She also lost 5 years ago. Fix your article bruh.
micah007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
You are still #1 in my heart Misaka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2