• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciate the effort going into the flower and miscellaneous in jokes. It reminds me of the azu manga daioh booklet the dvd's came with to explain the in jokes. Good Work.

I do wish the show would directly work out if it wants to go forward with relationships between the main trio of girls and joro. But my experience with Gamers! and OreGairu tells me they wont deal with it unless they decide to give up on potential sequel series. Either that or bring back the deviousness and manipulation of pansy. I liked her better as a caring stalker instead of just another flower.

Or at least give us some way to explain the sudden changes in direction between sun-chan and joro. Dropping off a romantic interest without any emotional responce still feels weird.
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

I'm calling it now: Tsubaki is spoiler[a trap]. We can discuss the evidence for and against once the review comes out.

Edit: Well, that was quick. More spoilers ahead, if you haven't seen the episode. Ready?

Tsubaki uses "boku" as a pronoun. This normally refers to young or unprepossessing males. Female "bokuko" exist, but their personalities are stereo-typically boyish as well. That fits Himawari better than Tsubaki.

"Chiharu" is a relatively unisex name.

I agree that Tsubaki is too perfect, but we already have a yandere stalker (Asunaro) and a tsundere (Sasanqua). A cross-dressing male would fill out the rom-com harem set without overlap.

Joro's early pervy staring at Tsubaki's crotch was nicely framed for a reaction flash-back later.

Souseki's Kokoro, from what I can tell online, features the relationship between two men ("Sensei" and "K"). That's not unusual for the time that it was written, but given how the clues are structured here I think it bears considering.

Tsubaki, in the language of flowers according to Wikipedia, carries the meaning, "perishing with grace." And, indeed, in Kokoro "K's" death drives the story.

[Edit]: please read this post. Errinundra.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was happy to see him be straightforward in telling Pansy about the book and why he'll have to skip their after school library sessions (most romcoms would use this as yet another tension moment where lack of communication screws things up further)

Indeed. I feel like I keep saying this over and over, since this has happened in at least 3 series this season (also in Bookworm and Kono Oto Tomare!), i.e., where people are up front about telling a truth it would be more comfortable to avoid, instead of dancing around it to drag out the drama until the end of the season or series. I wonder what sparked this sudden trend, or at least I hope it becomes a trend, because it's nice when they get this stuff out of the way.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She values her time with him MORE than an expensive edition of a book and losing that time to Yōki (even if it's for Pansy) hurts more than the book's damage.

I'll admit, I'm dense enough that I didn't realize that that's why Pansy was upset. I got that she was looking for something else from him, I just didn't catch on to what.

As a side note: wtf happened to that book?! Was that whole shopping center *actually* covered in a layer of mud and not bricks?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I was happy to see him be straightforward in telling Pansy about the book and why he'll have to skip their after school library sessions (most romcoms would use this as yet another tension moment where lack of communication screws things up further)

Indeed. I feel like I keep saying this over and over, since this has happened in at least 3 series this season (also in Bookworm and Kono Oto Tomare!), i.e., where people are up front about telling a truth it would be more comfortable to avoid, instead of dancing around it to drag out the drama until the end of the season or series. I wonder what sparked this sudden trend, or at least I hope it becomes a trend, because it's nice when they get this stuff out of the way.

... because removing something like that as a source of drama or comedy and replacing it with nothing is an improvement? ORESUKI has gotten to the point that I looked back at its genre categories just to make sure "comedy" was listed there.

It was, by the way.

Someone's wondering how a book got so dirty? It was found by two people who knew how much it was worth, who owned it and they also knew where it was, how suspicious... Petty vandalism but in this show, it's standard behavior.

So that's not what I'm wondering about, I'm curious how that book and only that book fell out of his bag. If Joro knew how much it was worth, it would have been a comedic set up but as it is, it's just another thing that happened involving Joro, girls... and more girls involved with other girls.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The episode ends with Himawari making her feelings known to everyone (not really a surprise here) and a teaser that she asks Jōro to get Pansy and Taiyō together (this again??).
I believe that was an entirely new character that was asking Joro to set up Pansy and Taiyō.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
The episode ends with Himawari making her feelings known to everyone (not really a surprise here) and a teaser that she asks Jōro to get Pansy and Taiyō together (this again??).
I believe that was an entirely new character that was asking Joro to set up Pansy and Taiyō.

Technically it wasn't a new character, it was Tanpopo. The reviewer was asking where she was last episode and now that she shows up again she forgets about her lol

As for the exchange between Joro and Himawari, I'm pretty sure more than anything he was pissed at her for inadvertently wounding his pride. His underlying motivation for working to buy Pansy a new copy of her book was to feel like he actually accomplished something of importance, and Himawari in a sense "stole" that moment from him. Self-awareness doesn't necessarily translate to self-reflection though, so while he knew he was being petty, it wasn't until his attitude made him lash out at someone who wanted nothing more than to do something nice for him does he truly what a fool he's been.

As for Pansy, I don't think she particularly cares how she gets the book, because it wasn't the main reason she was upset in the first place.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:

Technically it wasn't a new character, it was Tanpopo.
Oh your right, I just looked back and I completely did not recognize her, probably because she was introduced in a scene that went by quickly, where she was also hiding her face a lot in it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The Oregairu was strong in this episode.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
So uh, this show has gotten so much worse since the dance thing ended. I don't think I could dislike where the show has gone anymore since then. The MC works for weeks at a job to buy a copy of a book that Pansy lent him, and then when she actually wanted to discuss what he read the only thing he could say was that it was interesting. What in the hell was the point of all that mess? This was one of my favorite shows of the season but the past few episodes have just been absolute bottom of the barrel character writing and so awkward and frustrating to watch.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So uh, this show has gotten so much worse since the dance thing ended. I don't think I could dislike where the show has gone anymore since then. The MC works for weeks at a job to buy a copy of a book that Pansy lent him, and then when she actually wanted to discuss what he read the only thing he could say was that it was interesting. What in the hell was the point of all that mess? This was one of my favorite shows of the season but the past few episodes have just been absolute bottom of the barrel character writing and so awkward and frustrating to watch.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that she only wanted him to read the book so he'd see the bookmark and the message on it? Him actually reading it and them discussing it was secondary at most, if not completely irrelevant to what she wanted.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
It seemed pretty obvious to me that she only wanted him to read the book so he'd see the bookmark and the message on it? Him actually reading it and them discussing it was secondary at most, if not completely irrelevant to what she wanted.

And what was so important about the bookmark? The single sentence that she could have simply asked him at any point that she wanted to? Truly that single sentence response was worth it for Pansy after all the stupid drama and angst because MC is an idiot.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

And what was so important about the bookmark? The single sentence that she could have simply asked him at any point that she wanted to? Truly that single sentence response was worth it for Pansy after all the stupid drama and angst because MC is an idiot.

Perhaps because she isn't comfortable with being so direct about asking such an important request of him like that but she still wanted to get the message across somehow? Pansy has a history of not being upfront about certain things. We aren't exactly privy to her inner thoughts.

I certainly don't think she was expecting this would turn into such an ordeal either, and who honestly would?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps because she isn't comfortable with being so direct about asking such an important request of him like that but she still wanted to get the message across somehow?

How is "If I'm ever in a lot of trouble, would you help me" an important request? There was no important request.That's why the MC's response of "If I have free time" isn't treating it like it's a request of any importance.

It's a worthless question to ask in roundabout way that did nothing whatsoever to help any of the characters grow. Pansy had seemed to me like a girl with some intelligence to her but by asking such a dumb question in such a dumb way now makes her look as dumb as a bag of hammers. Pansy already knew the answer to her question. She has remarked numerous times about the MC's willingness to help other people and stated directly that was the reason she fell in love with the MC.

I can only assume that the source material author had a massive brain fart right before the deadline and had to quickly puke up this script which not only made absolutely zero sense in any remote capacity, but also backtracked the development of several characters throughout the drama-for-the-sake-of-drama events that transpired. I get that deadlines happen and sometimes results in less than average material, but they really should have changed this for the anime adaptation so that it was actually meaningful in at least some minute way.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Perhaps because she isn't comfortable with being so direct about asking such an important request of him like that but she still wanted to get the message across somehow?

How is "If I'm ever in a lot of trouble, would you help me" an important request? There was no important request.That's why the MC's response of "If I have free time" isn't treating it like it's a request of any importance.

We've seen Pansy be quite supportive and helpful towards Joro throughout the show, but unless I'm mistaken we've never once seen her ask for help on anything. It could very well be it's just not something she's used to doing. Combine that with Joro's generally prickly personality when around her, it's easy to see why she would prefer to be a little less direct with him on this if she's not sure how he'll react. She simply wants to know if he'd ever help her in her time of need. Whether she's speaking generally or for something specific is unknown, but it doesn't change the fact that it *is* a request. Frankly I like this because it means she's not immune to the same emotional cowardice that a lot of the characters in the show have.

She knows his personality but that doesn't mean she's omnipotent or psychic. It's completely natural to want to hear from the boy you love that he will in fact help you if you need it (he of course says "if he has free time", but we know he's tsundere so he obviously means yes). It's still relieving for her to know that he'll be there for her.

frankly I think you're making a whole lot of something out of nothing just because the characters behave in ways that you personally don't understand. joro having a complex about being a "background character" is something we've known about from the start, himawari just wanted to surprise her best friend with a good deed she did for him and didn't think things through completely, this is easy to get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10