• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Goblin Slayer BR/DVD/Digital

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
High elf dub actress just didn't fit either to me. Almost all the dub voices were just bad. I did enjoy lizard man and surprisingly goblin slayer.

Some had told me he had done the voice grunts for doomslayer in doom I think which seemed kinda cool honestly.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
High elf dub actress just didn't fit either to me. Almost all the dub voices were just bad. I did enjoy lizard man and surprisingly goblin slayer.

Some had told me he had done the voice grunts for doomslayer in doom I think which seemed kinda cool honestly.

He did the motion capture for Doomguy in DOOM(2016)
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
FrodoGate222 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

That's right my mistake. It's still cool regardless that the doomslayer gets to be the goblin slayer though
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

I sort of feel the same, GS was easily one of the weakest dubs Funi produced that year, which baffled me since Tabitha Ray was director and she usually does well directing the underused talent.

Mallorie Rodak grew on me as High Elf Archer, as did Brad Hawkins GS (though I still would have preferred Ian Sinclair for the role), but it all still mostly subpar.

If I had to pick a best and worst performances, I would say Brittany Lauda's Cow Girl was by far the best, and Sara Ragsdale's Guild Girl was the worst. Kind of pains me to talk about Ragsdale because I do like her as an actress (she had my favorite performance in Dagashi Kashi), but she sounded so stiff as Guild Girl for some reason.

I also agree with Theron's assessment on Witch. She's weird in both languages AND the LN.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I assume Theron was the only critic willing to review this very maligned show. I like how Goblin Slayer started, but it became dumber with each episode.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I assume Theron was the only critic willing to review this very maligned show. I like how Goblin Slayer started, but it became dumber with each episode.

The more people bash this show the more I like it.
It's no award winning masterpiece, but the number of people it managed to piss off definitely makes it anime of the year!

I am rather surprised that Funi didn't do any virtue signaling in the dub, like they have done with other releases.. you would figure THIS title would be the one to do it on..

I would give this title a solid B,
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I am rather surprised that Funi didn't do any virtue signaling in the dub, like they have done with other releases.. you would figure THIS title would be the one to do it on.

Rolling Eyes Ok
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
FrodoGate222 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

That's right my mistake. It's still cool regardless that the doomslayer gets to be the goblin slayer though

Makes all the DOOM/Goblin Slayer comparisons all the more funnier!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Um, no, I volunteered for it. I actually wanted to do the episode reviews for it, but IIRC it was airing on the same day as something else (SAO Alicization, mabye?) and I more didn't want to have two titles on the same day of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Um, no, I volunteered for it. I actually wanted to do the episode reviews for it, but IIRC it was airing on the same day as something else (SAO Alicization, mabye?) and I more didn't want to have two titles on the same day of the week.

It was Alicization (Index III was on Fridays). Not only did they air on the same day of the week, but they were also streamed at the same time of day.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Um, no, I volunteered for it.

I am not criticizing you. On the contrary, I am commending you for reviewing shows (like Cross Ange, Shield Hero) that are satanized by other critics at ANN.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I am not criticizing you. On the contrary, I am commending you for reviewing shows (like Cross Ange, Shield Hero) that are satanized by other critics at ANN.

It's okay for people to not like shows.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Seriously, this. I personally thought Goblin Slayer using rape as it did was just a cheap and exploitative way to make you hate the villains (because simply killing tons of innocent people wouldn't accomplish that apparently?) and it's especially amusing since the SAO author recently spoke up about how he wants to move on from this cheap trick in his work. I also couldn't get into Shield Hero due to the slavery aspect.

HOWEVER, I don't think it makes someone who enjoy the shows immoral themselves, they just simply looked at it a different way and obviously that doesn't automatically make them pro-rape or pro-slavery. So, if I'm not judging people for liking a show, then obviously they shouldn't judge me for not liking a show. Fair's fair, you know?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

Perfectly ok. However, some of those crossed the line from attacking the series to attacking the people who liked it.

Unfortunately to doctordoom's point, that has resulted in some people then being attacked for not liking things, but that is almost unavoidable when the well is poisoned from the start.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Seif wrote:

Perfectly ok. However, some of those crossed the line from attacking the series to attacking the people who liked it.

Unfortunately to doctordoom's point, that has resulted in some people then being attacked for not liking things, but that is almost unavoidable when the well is poisoned from the start.

I don't believe any of them are the aforementioned other critics at ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3