• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alita: Battle Angel Producer Jon Landau: Fans Should Ask Disney for Sequel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
How about YOU guys tell Disney instead of us fans? I mean what power do we really have? Plus I'd rather another studio produce Alita instead of Disney and there G rated limitations anyway, someone like Warner Bros or Paramount should handle Alita 2 & 3. Fans who read the manga know how brutal it gets after Hugo.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
How about YOU guys tell Disney instead of us fans? I mean what power do we really have? Plus I'd rather another studio produce Alita instead of Disney and there G rated limitations anyway, someone like Warner Bros or Paramount should handle Alita 2 & 3. Fans who read the manga know how brutal it gets after Hugo.

I agree, Disney is THE Movie maker in all off hollywood, People can ask but it would be unlikely a few voices from fans will get them going at the end of the day disney is still a company out to get money and they have plenty of franchises that are making top dollar, this was a success but they would invest in a real money maker.

If James Cameroon Avatar Sequels make enough money they might give in and allow him to do this, but that is a big iff still. I at least want some form of conclusion and they should finish the Hugo storyline at least.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
This is the final movie for 20th Century Fox as a standalone company and thus the final movie produced or distributed by the Fox Film Empire as we knew them. 106 years of film history thrown out when it got sold to Disney.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I think this is going to wind up like the Power Rangers 2017 movie where even if it was actually pretty good and has a devoted fan following, it’s not enough to warrant a sequel. But at least we got one good movie out of this.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:

A film's director/producer telling the studio that the fans want more tends to have less of an impact than a lot of fans also telling the studio (fans are customers, directors/producers always push for projects), I'm guessing the production team have been pushing it already, especially if Cameron has 2 sequels basically plotted out, and how long he had the rights/wanted to do it.

As for another studio other than Disney, Disney owns multiple labels and was putting out adult orientated films going back to the 90's at least, it's one of the reasons they (and other companies) own multiple labels so they can brand them as certain types of content, rather like TRSI owning the labels Nozomi (premium/collectors releases of anime), Lucky Penny (budget releases of fan faves), and Critical Mass (adult).
I'd be surprised if Disney put Alita (even the current one) out under their own headline brand on rereleases as it doesn't fit the image they nurture for that, but as I say they own multiple labels so they've got lots of choice about which one to market it or any sequels under.

I've actually got rather more faith in Disney doing Alita right over several films than Warner Bros, given Disney own Marvel who they've allowed to do very successful multi film releases whilst WB/DC seem to struggle to do two films in a franchise without losing the main actors/needing a reboot Sad (which is a shame as the Batman characters are some of my favourites and I enjoyed Suicide Squad a lot).

My personal hope for Alita is that the DVD/blu-ray/streaming and associated film tie in stuff does well enough to encourage Disney to greenlight the sequels by demonstrating that it's got enough of a following to make a profit that way (or to look at it as the start of a project where the big payoff will come in film 2 or 3), as there are a number of films and a lot of TV series that did badly at the cinema/first broadcast but once people heard about them did very well on home video or repeat showings (especially for properties that were not initially familiar to the audiences such as sci-fi)..
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney actually green-lit an Alita sequel, only for it to go to Disney+ streaming service. Disney seems to be scrambling for content to put on their streaming service anyway.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
Yuck.. and yet another franchise going to the S*** Bucket thanks to Disney.
I'll pass thanks.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
While Disney could release it under the still existing 20th Century Fox brand, I think that if it ever happens, it'll be on D+ or Hulu. Unfortunately.

(Although I can imagine Cameron telling fans to go see Avatar 2 so "we can make a new Alita movie". If that's what it takes, I'll see it twice.)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
Nah, give me an actual tv anime or webtoon that doesn´t dumb down the source material into costly effects and almost nothing else.

"Our family now at Disney". I find it hard to belive that someone who worked for Fox sees them as family. Very hard.

Edit: Cameron is sitting on all the other right besides the films. That exmlains a lot.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Nah, give me an actual tv anime or webtoon that doesn´t dumb down the source material into costly effects and almost nothing else.

I'm actually a little shocked the source material hasn't had a serious anime adaptation given the sheer amount of content from the Alita series and that it is clearly a likable franchise. I was hoping the movie would spark enough interest to generate one but that doesn't appear to be the case.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
If there’s no new Tron, Alita is equally unlikely. Should just give IG the tv anime rights back...
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I'm actually a little shocked the source material hasn't had a serious anime adaptation given the sheer amount of content from the Alita series and that it is clearly a likable franchise. I was hoping the movie would spark enough interest to generate one but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I had pondered the same, but it turns out this is James Cameron's fault. He bought all the video (including movies and anime) to Battle Angel back in the late 1990's.
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had pondered the same, but it turns out this is James Cameron's fault. He bought all the video (including movies and anime) to Battle Angel back in the late 1990's.

Ah, I see now. That answers some questions I had.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney actually green-lit an Alita sequel, only for it to go to Disney+ streaming service. Disney seems to be scrambling for content to put on their streaming service anyway.

Disney+ is family material only. Hulu is their adult material (Family Guy, etc) and those will stay on there. That's fair, as they aren't just outright abandoning mature material.

Don't forget, Disney not only currently owns Deadpool and plan to not drop it due to mature content, but they DID own Miramax as a subsidiary back in the 90s. That sure has some un-Disney content, but that's how they owned it but still kept it separate from their Disney label. I actually wonder if we might see more use of "20th Century Fox" logos in some of those properties too, instead of the Magical Castle.

As for Alita, I would LOVE it to go forward, but we shall see... If there is a home for Deadpool, Alita might still have a chance.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I find it weird that people seem to be under this assumption that Disney only does G-Rated and PG-13 Movies, when they've put out hard R-Rated movies under other labels. Like, you'd be surprised at what they've dipped there hands into.

I wasn't shocked when they said they wouldn't drop Deadpool, or the rating.

That said was this movie... actually good? Husband and I talked about watching it but from the couple of previews I saw I could never get past the eyes. I get why they went that route, but honestly it looked weird and out of place.

If it didn't make money though then I doubt any amount of begging would get Disney to change there mind. How many people have begged for sequels and studios have never budged?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3