• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Goblin Slayer BR/DVD/Digital

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Er. . . what? I've read all of the DanMachi novels to date that have been published in English and haven't seen that at all. The anime version of Bell is quite consistent with the novel version.

Oh come on now. You really can't tell me that the Bell who spends like five pages in the first chapter on musing how he'd love to seduce an elf with his adventuring prowess is the same as Bell in the anime, who doesn't even reference the series' title beyond a brief flashback to his grandpa.

( Seriously, the anime drops pretty much all references to the novels' title to a degree where it becomes a complete nonsequitur. I watched the first series like five times before I picked up the novels, and it wasn't until I finally had a chance to buy the first novel that I realized why it's called the way it was. )

I won't say they turned him into a completely different character, but they do sand off a lot of Bell's edges in order to turn him into a more conventional and palatable harem protagonist. Pretty much all of his musings about picking up women are gone, and they also chop out a whole lot of more violent Bell-focused action scenes (such as the War Shadow fight that should have taken place in the end of the first episode). In the anime he simply acts awkward around Sir on their first meeting, whereas in the novels he actually snarks about how she's very obviously trying to swindle him.

They are small things, but they do tonally shift the character.

Again though, DanMachi anime's small tone shifts in order to push it away from the less popular "heroic fantasy" genre and toward the considerably more popular "harem action comedy" are fairly benign. There certainly aren't any cases as bizarre as in the Goblin Slayer anime, where a delusional rant played for humor is rearranged into a Cool Monologue of Edginess.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
judging by the conversations in this forum, it's becoming clear that the transition form LN to anime for both Goblin Slayer and Danmachi to a lesser extent is a very intersting process of how media transformation alters the characters and tone of a story.

On the topic of Goblin Slayer since i feel more opinonated on that and can do more about it, While the first episode scene was not as exploitation material in terms of camera framing compared to Cross Ange, i still feel the use of rape is a bit excessive as a way to frame the goblins as evil.

Yes, the goblins are evil but the framing of their actions were already enough to do that, the use of rape seems a bit over the top and i'm not sure from a critical standpoint that it was needed.

as for the response to the episode, i admit i was a bit harsh on the show and the episode in particular but ultimately, i didn't give it much time and attention other than noting the use of the show in the whole "culture war". I find the response to the show to be annoying in the grand scheme of cultural and media critique and also find it in poor form from a debate perspective
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Quote:
I never labeled anyone as alt-right because they "don't share my view", rather I attached the term to a very particular scenario that has occurred in the past. You might want to carefully read other people's posts before you attempt to insult them based on their content next time.

Right.... again LOL. (Insert Piccard Face Palm here)

My statements haven't changed.. the Anime is still a pretty good representation of source Material (3rd time). It's not perfect, and I still find endless amusement in watching the Salt come from people who maybe shouldn't be watching if they can't handle it.

Wasn't going to comment on this but i might as well.

Yes, some people watched it without knowing what was in it or being able to handle it but to claim that all the "salt" comes from that segment of the anime population is a bit disingenuous to discussion.

Ultimately, i feel a good chunk of it were people who come from an analytical background and were discussing the framing and usage of rape in the context of media

I and i'm sure many other feel that it ultimately felt excessive for the purposes of framing the goblins as evil and while not as exploitative in camera framing as other shows was still sending mixed messages.

Dismissing these critiques as salt doesn't help with examining the show's merits, or discussing the show in a grand cultural schema

i would thus like to suggest that you make a refutation of the critique i made about Goblin Slayer directly rather than simply sidestepping or dismissing it
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Right.... again LOL. (Insert Piccard Face Palm here)

My statements haven't changed.. the Anime is still a pretty good representation of source Material (3rd time). It's not perfect, and I still find endless amusement in watching the Salt come from people who maybe shouldn't be watching if they can't handle it.

Wasn't going to comment on this but i might as well.

Yes, some people watched it without knowing what was in it or being able to handle it but to claim that all the "salt" comes from that segment of the anime population is a bit disingenuous to discussion.

Ultimately, i feel a good chunk of it were people who come from an analytical background and were discussing the framing and usage of rape in the context of media

I and i'm sure many other feel that it ultimately felt excessive for the purposes of framing the goblins as evil and while not as exploitative in camera framing as other shows was still sending mixed messages.

Plus wasn't there an issue right when that first Goblin Slayer episode went up on Crunchyroll(?), there was no "mature content warning" placed before it, so a good chunk of people that went in blind (like a lot of anime fans will do, even though some won't admit it) had no idea what they were getting into?

I wasn't even aware of Goblin Slayer until the whole rape scene situation became a big thing and alot of YouTubers were doing reaction videos, but I am one the ones that felt that the scene came off pretty...unnecessary, and basically turned me off from watching the rest of the series, even though I did eventually watch a couple of episodes with some friends. I may a bit biased, since I am at the point in my life where I just don't care to watch rape scenes in anime/movies/tvs shows since a lot of time it comes off unneeded and "bwa ha ha look how evil ____ is!!" (Not that I cared/like to watch scenes like that in the first place, but hopefully people get what I mean).
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
@Izanagi009 so let's be clear here I am not dismissing anyone's critique of the series based on the rape topic. I find fan reaction or "salt" to be amusing coming from specific fan bases. Honestly what is depicted is pretty mild which is part of what makes me laugh when I see people hyper focusing on just the 1st episode. There are other titles out there that make Goblin Slayer look like a ride in the kiddie pool.. Violence Jack anyone?

Since I am not the director of the anime.. I can only speculate as to why this was shown. And that is or was to reinforce to the viewer the mindset the MC has towards Goblins. Possibly even getting the viewer to emphasize with why he is the way he is considering his past and the horrors he saw with his sister.

That's pretty much it..
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
...Honestly what is depicted is pretty mild which is part of what makes me laugh when I see people hyper focusing on just the 1st episode...

I am sorry dude but as someone who has had to deal with trauma from sexual assault, it's really hard for me to just laugh it off, let alone bring it up. so I can not at all relate to your perspective for what you want out of escapist entertainment or what you can enjoy in it.

I have a simple concept when it comes to rape in media, if you are going to bring it up, you had better be prepared to deal with the baggage that it comes with. And the goblin slayer anime just does not. That is putting aside the whole titillation of a rape scene they added into the anime adaptation, which more then anything else upsets me for a show that is not actually a hentai or even really that ecchi of a series.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:56 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Since I am not the director of the anime.. I can only speculate as to why this was shown.

Remember: the director of an anime has lit-theory training. If their work comes out of lit analysis saying "full of violent misogyny" or what-have-you, then the director knew this would happen and wanted it to happen. Because that's their job, no? They draw an outline, lit-analyse it, and if the lit analysis of the text doesn't give the results they want they fiddle with the text until it does.

The results a literary analysis draws from a text were put there deliberately by the director, is the thing.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Since I am not the director of the anime.. I can only speculate as to why this was shown.

Remember: the director of an anime has lit-theory training. If their work comes out of lit analysis saying "full of violent misogyny" or what-have-you, then the director knew this would happen and wanted it to happen. Because that's their job, no? They draw an outline, lit-analyse it, and if the lit analysis of the text doesn't give the results they want they fiddle with the text until it does.

The results a literary analysis draws from a text were put there deliberately by the director, is the thing.

as someone who studied adaptation before, YEP that is what happens a lot of times. Light novels have a short turn around time between volumes, not american TV and soap opera turn around time but....
The point is that there isn't much time for revisions, at least not nearly as many as a lot of others once a book becomes a series. SO light novels tend to be much more flow of thought and have a certain degree of rawness to them. That means that sometimes things slip in from time to time that maybe the author didn't intend or are an unintended side effect of what the author did want to write.

The thing is adapters can and in some cases will take that and run with it. You wanted to portray a character one way, to bad it's no longer your story and if the new writer (adapter) wants to run away with it, they can and will if they are allowed to in some cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3