• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Leviathonlx

Is that the blue haired character in the anime opening (and super deformed postscripts)?? I don't remember him being named.

Yea that's him.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, a priest alone in a room with a child whom he has knocked unconscious.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

First episode showed him reading her mind, after he drugged her unconscious. Kinda makes you want to lock him up in one of those deep medieval prison cells, where the only living thing you hear, see, and smell are the rats.

Someone was saying much earlier that he is super popular in Japan, don't know why, considering this is Myne's show and he does bad stuff to her.
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the episode that introduced Frieda didn't also mention the way she will control the Devouring in the future. That will outline in part the path Myne will take in the future. Maybe next episode.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
Someone was saying much earlier that he is super popular in Japan, don't know why, considering this is Myne's show and he does bad stuff to her.

At a guess, the anime opening is not showing a valid look at his character. The actions in question could be shown out of context or be anime original. I'm prepared to await the appropriate volumes of the novel (assuming I last that long).

@HannoX

No matter how desperate they try to make it sound, given that there are many volumes of novel yet to go, it is a safe assumption that the Devouring will not succeed in devouring Myne. Wink

Last edited by Alan45 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

First episode showed him reading her mind, after he drugged her unconscious. Kinda makes you want to lock him up in one of those deep medieval prison cells, where the only living thing you hear, see, and smell are the rats.

Just going to clear this up here to prevent incredibly wrong misconceptions that can tarnish people's desires to watch this show and pick up the LN. The Blue Priest is not evil nor doing anything bad and is Mynes greatest ally and that scene at the very start of the show is followed up by a very emotional moment that is in no way negative. There are dark aspects to the story but it's not that kind of dark.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I have read the western releases of the light novel, I have not seen the High Priest drug her or read her mind yet.

But the anime shows it. She is drugged by him, so he can read her mind with his magical implements. You can't hand wave that in the anime. Yes he has done good things, but lets not forget, he would have watched spoiler[Myne and her family be executed]. It was only Myne's spoiler[use of magical force] that forced him to take action and stand up to his superior to some degree. Otherwise, spoiler[she would probably have killed them all.]
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I have read the western releases of the light novel, I have not seen the High Priest drug her or read her mind yet.

But the anime shows it. She is drugged by him, so he can read her mind with his magical implements. You can't hand wave that in the anime. Yes he has done good things, but lets not forget, he would have watched spoiler[Myne and her family be executed]. It was only Myne's spoiler[use of magical force] that forced him to take action and stand up to his superior to some degree. Otherwise, spoiler[she would probably have killed them all.]

The part at the beginning of the anime is near the end of the next volume that's going to be translated and occurs after a very major event that sets the main plot into motion. That scene was shown wildly out of context for non readers and was done due to him being a very popular character and it kinda works with the whole him seeing her past thing. The memory search is done for very important reasons that ends up saving her life. She is tricked with the medicine but instead of being mad spoiler[she's incredibly thankful since it allowed her to re-live her life as Urano where she got to see her family she'll never see again and read books for a short while and so she asks if he can do it again This actually surprises him as he expected her to be angry.]

About the first meeting with him. spoiler[Sure he was limited on what he could do based on his position and he himself does say he wanted to act but couldn't for his own sake until she went and almost killed the High Bishop. Thankfully the Bishop eventually gets what's coming to him.]

The main reasoning for the medicine and mind reading without being overly specific is becausespoiler[of the major event mentioned above. Myne is incredibly powerful and they needed to determine if she was a threat or not.]

Last edited by Leviathonlx on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Enough with the comparisons to the light novels. Let's just deal with the story as presented in the anime. It's tiresome for those of us who only watch anime to see long postings with lots of blacked out spoilers.

Myne and Lutz are so cute together. I've grown fonder of this show as it has progressed. I was on the verge of dropping if after a few episodes, but I'm glad now that I stuck with it.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
... I only meant my earlier post as a morbid joke about priests.
In no way or moment does the anime present the High Priest's action as dangerous, wrong or suspicious.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Enough with the comparisons to the light novels. Let's just deal with the story as presented in the anime. It's tiresome for those of us who only watch anime to see long postings with lots of blacked out spoilers.

Myne and Lutz are so cute together. I've grown fonder of this show as it has progressed. I was on the verge of dropping if after a few episodes, but I'm glad now that I stuck with it.

Those black bars affect you in no way whatsoever. It's an anime faithfully following a LN (unlike another mediocre Average anime) and source discussion will happen. I will refrain from writing any longer spoilers from here on though.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
Putting in my medium bronze coin's worth, the "spoilers" only serve to get me hoping that the anime gets to the mentioned parts of the story and doesn't diminish my enjoyment for a second. Smile
Netero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:41 am Reply with quote
What the hell was the "pork stocking" they were talking about near the start of the episode? The annual pig slaughter (like the matanza), maybe? Shouldn't it have been "pig sticking", then?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote
Stocking up on pork? Replenishing their stocks of pork? Pork stocking. Smile
HannoX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Pork stocking is stocking up on meat for the winter. In a society such as theirs it was common for farmers to slaughter a number of animals so they wouldn't have to feed them over the winter. Therefore, that's when the city dwellers went to the country to buy meat for the winter. Trying to buy meat in say, January, would be impossible or very expensive since the farmers would want to hold onto the few animals they had left in order to replenish their herds in the spring with the new crop of calves, piglets, etc.

Oh, and pork stocking would be like a holiday for the poorer city dwellers since they probably ate more meat that day than at any other time. The LN covering it shows that it was a time the city dwellers looked forward to.

[EDIT: Combined two consecutive posts into one, since they just continue the same thought. - Key]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 26