• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fragtime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll be skipping this one then. Was iffy on checking it out since I was underwhelmed in watching Kase-san and Morning Glories, the director's previous work. I do enjoy seeing yuri anime as I have gotten enjoyment out of slice-of-life dramas of that genre like Bloom Into You and Sweet Blue Flowers. But wasn't impressed in seeing Takuya Sato's direction with Kase-san and guess this one is just as flawed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This was still a far more forgiving review than Erica Friedman's, who absolutely abhorred it.

I remember watching the first five minutes of this OVA on ANN, and how much of a missed opportunity it was (to put it very lightly) from that alone. Rather than upskirting Haruka, couldn't Misuzu just as easily have just gazed into her eyes, and said something along the lines of "how lovely you are to me", and through that way Haruka discovers both Misuzu's feelings as well as her secret ability? Then it really would've been the sweet yuri romance tale with an intriguing sci-fi concept that it was marketed to be--as opposed to the blatant sleaziness it really was (from the same director as Kase-San, the difference is like night and day). Then Erica Friedman writes on Okazu that not only does that sleaziness extend all throughout its runtime, it gets worse, and it was just a painfully awkward screening for both the audience and the people that worked on it when it premiered in America.

In the end, it probably is best to skip this and stick with the genuinely sweet (and honest) Kase-San.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
"how lovely you are to me", and through that way Haruka discovers both Misuzu's feelings as well as her secret ability?

wow, that made me cringe so bad.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
wow, that made me cringe so bad.

Did it make you cringe worse than the sexual harassment/assault that was actually in the OVA (some do count upskirting as assault), and is that your preference? I was just trying to spitball some alternatives.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
if time had stopped, is it even harassment at that point?
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
if time had stopped, is it even harassment at that point?

Erm, yes. It's touching another person's body sexually without consent. It's the same thing as touching them in their sleep and they wake up unaware of what happened. They still didn't consent.
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
This is a really terrific review, Kim. Balanced and getting right to the heart of the problem; that the film doesn't address the actual interesting things in the plot. Instead, it presents underwear as almost literally the only plot point. Worse, it's meant as a comedic beat.

I do recommend you watch Kase-san and Morning Glories, for a wholly female gaze Yuri romance. Even the service (of which there is some) isn't nearly as tiresome as it is in Fragtime. Most especially I found Kase-san to be lovingly animated, carefully directed and thoughtfully acted. It was everything that story (which is a school romance, so there are limitations) can be.

Thanks again for a great review!
YuriMother

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Erica, a fantastic review. I have not had the opportunity to review Fragtime myself, or even see it yet for that matter, but I am thrilled to get such valuable insights and knowledge about it from this review, thank you Kim.

I wholeheartedly echo that you should watch Kase-san and Morning Glories. It is a phenomenal work in every way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1