• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
...How is "If I'm ever in a lot of trouble, would you help me" an important request? There was no important request.That's why the MC's response of "If I have free time" isn't treating it like it's a request of any importance.

It's a worthless question to ask in roundabout way that did nothing whatsoever to help any of the characters grow. Pansy had seemed to me like a girl with some intelligence to her but by asking such a dumb question in such a dumb way now makes her look as dumb as a bag of hammers. Pansy already knew the answer to her question. ...
I read this as that Pansy is in real danger somehow and she wants Joro to inquire and be reassured he won't bolt when he finds out how much. Could be wrong but as you noted, the show has taken a dramatic turn. Also, it may be she found out about what michizure found and believes Joro's tendancy to have strong guy-connections means trouble for her romantic interests. If so, she wanted to read how he would react to a homosexual themed story without asking the really embarrassing question. @michizure bingo! Good for your insight, I'll bet you are correct sir. I didn't see it until the newest guy to help Joro, which was way too coincidental. I think one can say of this show "there are no coincidences". Like the book going missing after Himawari (or was it Tanpopo..) knocks Joro down and the sisters "find" it messed up. Suspicious...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
episode 9.5

If you have to do a re-cap episode, this is a pretty good way to do it. I laughed quite a bit. And they did admit that Pansy's physics were impossible. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not clear why Tanpopo thought Jōro making moves on Pansy would in any way drive her to go out with Sun-chan, but it doesn't really matter.

As I understood it, which is probably wrong, she thought it would make Sun-chan jealous enough to ask her out, to which of course Pansy would say yes. She seemed to think Pansy wanted a boyfriend, any boyfriend, so just motivating Sun-chan to fill that role would do the trick.

Yeah, that big WHY? was on my mind too. I could maybe see them forbidding the use of the library for lunch meetings, which would accomplish the apparent story-goal of putting a crimp in their socializing, but doing away with it altogether? Granted, no one but this small group seems to use it at all, for any reason, ever, but still. It can only be Bench-kun's evil influence metastasizing to the faculty. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
Knowing this series the reason the library is closing will be a plotting girl trying to get Joro's affections. Buuut maybe the fact that this is the last storyline of the arc maybe it will be a proper lasting storyline.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, Lynzee, just how fast are you?! I am so impressed that an episode review is already posted few hours after premier.

On to the episode itself, initially I was skeptical of how can they adapt volume 4 AND 5 (yes those two books consists of one arc) in 3 episodes, now I am no longer concerned, I am confident that people should felt very happy and satisfied about the finale next week, that will be full of twists and surprises.

The original author said in the afterward of the novel: if you can’t get along with people of same gender, and treat them with utmost sincerity; then don’t ever expect you will get popular with people of opposite sexes. He admitted it’s a weird belief of his, but I am glad he sticks to this idea in the anime adaptation
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I personally got a kick out of the Gundam reference in the scene with Goro and Pansy floating in space about a minute into the episode! Yeah, I've been watching too much anime...[/spoiler]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
So Pansy feels bad because she knows that Hose is suppressing his feelings for her and Cherry and Tsukimi are supressing their feelings for him, and that caused her to alienate herself from that group, is that correct? Why then does she not similarly feel bad that Sun is supressing his feelings for her and Himawari and Cosmos (plus the other side girls) suppress their feelings for Joro?

What is so different? Why does she not feel the need to run in the same way?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So Pansy feels bad because she knows that Hose is suppressing his feelings for her and Cherry and Tsukimi are supressing their feelings for him, and that caused her to alienate herself from that group, is that correct? Why then does she not similarly feel bad that Sun is supressing his feelings for her and Himawari and Cosmos (plus the other side girls) suppress their feelings for Joro?

The key difference is Joro. Unlike Hose, Joro doesnt really know the other girls aside from Pansy like him for the most part. Hell, he himself doesn't know his true feelings for Pansy. He's still trying to figure it out, unlike Hose who fully realizes everything but remains stagnant.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The key difference is Joro. Unlike Hose, Joro doesnt really know the other girls aside from Pansy like him for the most part. Hell, he himself doesn't know his true feelings for Pansy. He's still trying to figure it out, unlike Hose who fully realizes everything but remains stagnant.

Did you get the names flipped around? No, even if the names are flipped around what you said doesn't make sense. Here let me provide two direct quotes from Pansy about Hose.

Does this sound like a guy who fully realizes everything?

Also, I liked this show so much more when Joro wanted the harem and had that devious side to him. He was at least something other than a milquetoast do-nothing main character which is what he has been for several episodes now.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

That's only a small part of her issue with Hose. The main reason she's so anxious around Hose is that he's such an overwhelmingly kind, good, and likable person that he's completely beyond reproach. If his actions happen to unintentionally hurt someone, that person can't voice their concerns to him because then they'll feel like the bad guy. They feel guilty about finding fault with him because he's such a selfless person, so instead they just bottle up their concerns and exist with him in an unhealthy equilibrium. His two love interests continue to support him unconditionally even while he's leading them on because not doing so would make them feel at fault. In their mind, they aren't allowed to be upset, or angry, or have any qualms with him. Even Pansy, normally very willing to tell someone her feelings, finds it difficult to resent Hose because of how much he's done for her, so instead she just kind of skedaddled away from him and changed her image. And meanwhile Hose is completely oblivious to how hurtful and toxic his behavior is because no one has ever spoken up about them for the exact reasons I stated. He puts these emotional locks on people by being so perfect that no one feels justified in feeling anything bad towards him.

pansy prefers a sensitive jerk like joro to an *in*sensitive nice guy like hose

anyway i think this episode might be the most brilliant one we've had yet??? the series started out satirizing harem tropes but this is the first time it really dissected them and showed not only how hurtful someone with hazuki's personality could be, but also showing why someone like Joro might *actually* be preferable, even if he's far from being perfect himself.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
And meanwhile Hose is completely oblivious to how hurtful and toxic his behavior is because no one has ever spoken up about them for the exact reasons I stated. He puts these emotional locks on people by being so perfect that no one feels justified in feeling anything bad towards him.

Then the show completely failed to show how hurtful and toxic his behavior is. There hasn't been any demonstration. I'd argue that Joro is just as toxic to Himawari and Cosmos (hell I'll throw in Asunaro as well since she showed back up the previous episode) as as they continue to support Joro and suppress their own feelings. This show seems to dictate that girls will want to support the guy that they like no matter what, so it has nothing to do with being perfect or whatever. That's just nonsense. Cherry and Tsukimi are in the same position that all the other girls surrounding Joro are in. They're written as flat characters who have very little romantic dynamic other than being irreversibly drawn to the two affable main characters (the watering can and the hose) even if it's one-sided. They don't think about any other guy because they can't. They are trapped. Trying to separate Hose from Joro in this regard makes no sense.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
And meanwhile Hose is completely oblivious to how hurtful and toxic his behavior is because no one has ever spoken up about them for the exact reasons I stated. He puts these emotional locks on people by being so perfect that no one feels justified in feeling anything bad towards him.

Then the show completely failed to show how hurtful and toxic his behavior is. There hasn't been any demonstration.

Um, it did??? the episode very *clearly* explained what his problem was and it also showed how it affects the two girls that accompany him and how they willfully sacrifice their own feelings and happiness to help him out, not even necessarily because they love him, but because he's such a good friend that it's only natural that they do so and *not* doing so would make them feel terrible. Abandoning your own happiness for your friend is a very nice thing to do, but for the case of love, it's nice but its not "human", which is what Joro has an issue with. Hazuki inadvertently causes them to take this self-destructive path that they would be unhappy being in, but who wouldn't want to be friends with the really nice guy? The core issue here is that Hazuki isn't *technically* doing anything wrong so it's hard to really confront him about it.

Quote:
I'd argue that Joro is just as toxic to Himawari and Cosmos (hell I'll throw in Asunaro as well since she showed back up the previous episode) as as they continue to support Joro and suppress their own feelings.

As I said, "suppressing their feelings" isn't what the problem is. Joro's relationships with the others aren't perfect but they're a lot healthier because he's sensitive to their feelings and on numerous occasions they've shown they're more than capable of being open and honest with each other when they need to be. Which is what Hazuki and Cherry & Tsukimi *don't* have: Healthy and honest communication. Yes, Himawari and Cosmos have feelings for him and he's pretending not to notice, that certainly isn't ideal, but to act like that and what Cherry and Tsukimi are currently going through, which I would argue is downright emotionally abusive on Hazuki's end (although, again, it's inadvertent on his part), are the same simply aren't true. Cherry and Tsukimi are completely subservient to what Hazuki wants and aren't allowed to act on their own feelings because that would interfere with his happiness. Not because that's what Hazuki asks of them, but that's would the atmosphere around him tells them to do. Cosmos and Himawari do not suffer from this.

Quote:
If he's a nice guy then nobody should feel justified to feel anything bad toward him. That's just common sense? There would be no reason to do so.

Exactly my point and exactly the point Pansy is making. He's so nice that everyone feels incredibly obligated to be just as nice to him, even if it means dodging any problems he's causing or being forced to walk on eggshells around him. He has no self-awareness, nor any awareness of other people.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Then the show completely failed to show how hurtful and toxic his behavior is. There hasn't been any demonstration.

Pansy's entire behavior while around him is supposed to illustrate that. The staff were trying to show the effects of Hose's behavior by how scarred it left Pansy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Pansy's entire behavior while around him is supposed to illustrate that. The staff were trying to show the effects of Hose's behavior by how scarred it left Pansy.

They tried but failed. Instead if would have been better to flashback to an explicit example of the damage that Hose caused. Showcase a moment where Pansy felt truly trapped by whatever it was that Hose was doing... whatever *nice* thing he horrifically scarred her with. But that's the thing. It's so absurd that there can't be an explicit example. There's nothing wrong with being nice. If Hose overstepped his bounds then he would no longer be his nice self and would thus lose his supernatural ability to take away the agency of those he's with the minute he does anything that would deserve such. So there's no danger or demon. Just a nice guy.

I think a possible example (which I would no longer be calling nice but Japan is weird about things like that) that could have worked would be something like Cherry or Tsukimi confessing to him and his response being something like (with a faintly sinister grin of course) "But that would ruin the perfect homeostasis that we have right now". Something like that would have at least showed me that they made a slight attempt to portray the danger of this boy. As is, we got Pansy's words and no actual example which for me just made me think Pansy has some mental issues.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, because that is something humans say. Confused

I imagine a better example would be a confession scene which he purposefully misinterprets it or carries on the previous conversation like nothing happened.

Personally I think it comes across fine but an overall message which I do not think is touched on is are you responsible for other people’s emotions? I do not think we have seen a direct confession outside of Pansy, it is done indirectly or through a failed scheme. If you are not directly asked to respond to a persons emotions via a direct confession under what obligation are you under to change your behaviour?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10