• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is basically the kind of stuff I was hoping for in this arc, so good job.

not really. canonwise it might cause issues!

too many people have seen them now and the only way out would be to erase everyone's memories except for the time traveling duo and the pervy sage.

but the problem is that no one knows a justu that do that outside of the original movies! same for time traveling.

mind wiping is always the answer to fixing time travel problems.

As for how, kakashi has copied 1k jutsus right? And we've seen what, 5 of them?
bhl88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
So Sasuke being "the other Hokage" is not new.

Jiraiya is the other Hokage to Tsunade.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm sure the turtle will fix everything. I'm certainly not going to complain about something that might but probably won't be a problem.

yea but with all of the marty mc fly references, you have to believe it wont be that simple.

worse case , we might have an Eureka 7 AO scenario!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The villain states aloud that he could use his abilities to instantly locate his targets but is intentionally abstaining from doing so—which feels like a rather ham-fisted acknowledgement that Sakura shouldn't have adequate time to heal Sasuke while the two are in peril.

He wouldn't even need to go that far. Sakura dragging Sasuke is leaving a trail that an actual blind person could follow. Since he can fly, he could catch up with them in no time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the seemingly-defeated Urashiki gives himself a substantial boost by eating one of his eyeballs. ... However, injuring Jiraiya proves to be a fatal mistake for Urashiki, as this prompts Naruto to become enraged and allow himself to be consumed by the Nine Tails' chakra.

First, he ate both of his eyeballs. Shocked Second, while it was a fatal miscalculation due to Naruto and Boruto's synergy, angering Naruto to release the Nine Tails' chakra was his intention, not a mistake. It was the only way he knew to get around the seal to harvest the chakra. His wanting to milk Boruto's and Jiraiya's suffering to anger a helpless Naruto was probably the only thing that kept them alive.

Interesting episode, although I'm a little annoyed at how Sakura was conveniently sidelined (where was he injured?! She seemed to be healing his groin). Again, I have to wonder about Leaf security (their present day borders were ridiculously porous), since not only did their elders apparently brush off the kids' report, but no one seemed to be at all aware that this huge, explosive battle with dust billowing into the sky was taking place in the middle of their territory.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
Entertaining enough fight. I feel like the "power levels" have gotten pretty badly out of whack; Jiraiya and Sasuke seem to get knocked out of the fight for the sake of narrative convenience, and the show doesn't seem to go out of its way to show Urashiki putting on "kid's gloves" when he beats up Naruto & Boruto, yet they are far from entirely thrashed (or dead..) from his consistently landing attacks on them.

In this respect, I feel like the show could benefit from (A) much more clearly showing when a villain is not actually trying to kill someone (because of wanting to use Boruto/Jiraiya suffering to draw out the 9-tails or what-have-you), and (B) taking a cue from the Legend of Heroes line of videogames: your protagonist doesn't always have to be the strongest person around or the primary element in winning a fight. A world feels more fully realized when, in fact, they have be saved or corrected or in some other manner become keenly aware of the great powers (of the people, specifically, but otherwise as well) in the world around them.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
First, he ate both of his eyeballs. Shocked

Yeah, this.. um, that was, that sure was a thing he did. And, you really picked the right emoticon for it. Hope the visual double entendre was intentional, and if not, just lie to me and tell me it was. Razz
Xeogran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
A world feels more fully realized when, in fact, they have be saved or corrected or in some other manner become keenly aware of the great powers in the world around them.

The problem with Boruto is that all the main villains are logically out of his league. They're either Moon People or their army. Heck even against Shinki (Gaara's son) he had to 2v1 him with Sarada. It's really weird the series started out like that.

Boruto always deals the finishing blow but he needs constant support of older generation ninjas.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with all of that, I think.

I personally dislike the show's seemingly desperate need to always give the protagonist the "last hit" in every single fight; I don't see any reason that's necessary. Boruto getting pounded into dust mercilessly by a god-equivalent moonman who can only be defeated through the combined might of the great powers of Konoha could teach him all manner of valuable lessons, especially his being framed earlier in the show as learning so easily and living so softly that he has little of the fire and determination of Naruto, and certainly nothing resembling discipline. That seems like a missed opportunity for some genuine character development, and for no particular reason other than that the least interesting and most obvious choice is to have the protagonist 'win' each decisive battle.

Alternatively, they should have kept Boruto far from the moonmen and moonlasses, and spent his younger years in battle with foes above him, but not so far above him that his even surviving them for seconds is completely implausible. And, when he is genuinely outclassed, his participating but not being the one to outright win battles would be perfectly fine -- even preferred, with payoff of each battle coming not from our self-inserting into his overcoming each struggle to become victorious, but through some meaningful character work.

Maybe I have rose-colored glasses on, but I feel like the original Naruto did at least some of this. For example, it was more Kakashi than Naruto that defeated Zabuza, with Naruto struggling to keep up with this guy who is clearly a man and not a god-powered moonman, right? Or am I misremembering?

In any event, I think the series'll be a lot more interesting if it ever gets to a "We Shippuden, now." time skip. Really, Shippuden is where I thought the original Naruto took off, too, and certainly housed some of its best arcs. I hope there's something in Boruto to distantly compete with Jiraiya vs Pain and Naruto vs Pain.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:29 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
First, he ate both of his eyeballs. Shocked

Yeah, this.. um, that was, that sure was a thing he did. And, you really picked the right emoticon for it. Hope the visual double entendre was intentional, and if not, just lie to me and tell me it was. Razz

What else could I possibly have used? Very Happy

It's been too long since the episodes, and I have trouble remembering anything from last week irl, so could someone remind me about the moonie battle that happened after Boruto was caught cheating at the exams? Was that not this villain? Didn't Boruto have some super deus ex mach attack like an invisible rasengan that defeated him then? I know he can't really control his eye thing (I still don't quite get what's going on with that), but I thought he had learned how to deliberately use the invisible/delayed/whatever rasengan back then.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is basically the kind of stuff I was hoping for in this arc, so good job.

not really. canonwise it might cause issues!

too many people have seen them now and the only way out would be to erase everyone's memories except for the time traveling duo and the pervy sage.

but the problem is that no one knows a justu that do that outside of the original movies! same for time traveling.

mind wiping is always the answer to fixing time travel problems.

As for how, kakashi has copied 1k jutsus right? And we've seen what, 5 of them?

but most of them requires the eye he lost except for all the lightning based justus, so technically he no longer have a thousand justus! luckily saskue solved that problem!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote

It seems like Naruto's female characters have two positions: henpecking harpy or submissive 2nd fiddle supporting her man. The former dynamic is also in force in the Nara household, where Tamari is always seen browbeating her husband and her son.

It's also pretty sad that Ino would need to ask if Sai "liked that sort of thing" after he hugged her. They've been married for at least 13 years, and he's never hugged her? One wonders how Inojin was born...

So yeah, anyone looking to this franchise as a model of healthy family relationships needs look elsewhere, cause they sure won't find it here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:13 am Reply with quote

This keeps getting stupider each week. Why are they so sure the stabber must be one of their cellmates just because that was the only door open? The cells have bars, not walls, so a passcard could easily be slipped to anyone.

It also seems like no one is making much effort to make it seem like Boruto is just another prisoner (despite being ridiculously underage for such a top level prison). He just got there, but the warden calls it "Boruto's cell"? Why? Why not a cell number or whoever has been in it longest? And suddenly he's openly protecting Kokuri and no one finds that odd? Why is the doctor taking orders from him? None of this makes any sense.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote

The guards will be here any minute, so let's spend that precious time arguing at the top of our lungs instead of searching for the card! Rolling Eyes You can't search my bunk! I'd rather the guards do it when they get here and lock us all up when they find the card! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this article says this episode is "intrigue-laden" as if anything about Boruto is intriguing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:22 am Reply with quote
^ You should probably look up what "intrigue (n)" means...

The whole scene with Sarada was so contrived (not that the rest of this arc hasn't been too). I would not expect an expert Fire-style user like her to get caught up so easily in a Fire attack. Also, how did Bengie not notice that all his gems fell down in there with her? They're practically his reason for living.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 31