• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax Representative Director Tomohiro Maki Arrested for Alleged Indecent Acts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Yikes, I really hope that the poor woman has recovered, this no doubt will have affected her greatly...and she was in her late teens whilst he was in his thirties...? Evil or Very Mad

And what's Gainax going to do in response, attempt to sweep this under the rug (something I've seen happen far too many times with stuff like this)? I bloody hope not.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
And what's Gainax going to do in response, attempt to sweep this under the rug (something I've seen happen far too many times with stuff like this)? I bloody hope not.

I don't know if there's much to "do"; the guy apparently only took the position recently and isn't a creative. Theoretically he'll just go away and be replaced (unless he gets off of the arrest with little punishment).
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
I hope he doesn't get off easily, he deserves maximum prosecution.
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
Is this true? is it not? We'll only know when a judge passes sentence. (and even then, it might not be the truth).

Gota take all these with a mountain of salt nowadays.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:49 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Well, 2019 Gainax is comparable to someone who is on life support. It's not like they're still getting any projects.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Is this true? is it not? We'll only know when a judge passes sentence. (and even then, it might not be the truth).

Well with the media that’s how it always is in a nutshell and that you just have to hope it’s not true and if it is then definitely arrest this guy.
GiantRobo199X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
chronos02 wrote:

Well with the media that’s how it always is in a nutshell and that you just have to hope it’s not true and if it is then definitely arrest this guy.

Come on... really? The news report is that he was arrested... it's literally in the title...

Rolling Eyes
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
Horrible man hopefully he is finished if it's true.

As for Gainax they haven't anything worthwhile in years and I doubt that'll change anytime soon.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

Indeed, the gravure pictures sound like normal stuff if it was agreed before hand; the feet massage is the one where he screwed up; reminds me of a note where a woman was jailed because she reported the wrong school district so his kdis went to a better school (headline) then if you read the actual note she had like 5 other crimes on her account.

Then again I wonde rif I am biased in the foot massage thing, since I don't touch people (besides greetings ) unless I already have developed some trust which takes at least 6 months.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Indeed, the gravure pictures sound like normal stuff .

article wrote:
Maki reportedly took photographs of the woman naked to "prepare her for photoshoots in the entertainment industry."

Yeah totally normal to take nude photos of someone with neither a contract for photography nor a professional photographer involved, to "prepare" her. a normal and regular thing and not a creepy, invasive act by somebody using their professional position to pressure someone into. Definitely.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Don´t worry the poor sex offender will walk free to assault other young women as Japan´s courts don´t care about women´s rights. They never do...
That said, can we finally shut down Gainax. They have been reduced to a name with no marketable brands and little talent left. And people like him at the helm, shudder.

One last thing, gravure shots never feature actual nudity. What a bizarre defense, even by the standards of this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

...no, we really don't. At all. An older male producer sexually harassing a younger female talent is disgustingly common. Or do the names Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein mean nothing to you?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Since he got arrested it sounds like the police are looking to see what photos he has and he must think that the police will find them if he is already making up that ridiculous excuse for why he has them. The Girlish Number anime from a few years ago got into some of the unsavory stuff that VAs are often asked to do which does sometimes include gravure photo books. What he did though went way beyond that and it was one step away from having a Hollywood casting couch.

maximilianjenus wrote:
Indeed, the gravure pictures sound like normal stuff if it was agreed before hand;

A president of an anime company personally taking nude photos of a newly hired VA is several layers of suspicious.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Multiple reports have been lodged and some posts deleted.

I'm not going to delete a post simply because you don't like it when someone says that a person arrested for their odious behaviour is innocent until proven guilty. That's a basic tenet of democracy. I will remove posts that promote violence, insult other posters or make unsubstantiated attacks on the victims of crimes.

(Edit: and I'll delete responses to deleted posts.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Is he pose-modeling that the Gainax bounce is alive and well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1