• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Certain Magical Index Light Novels Gets New Series in February

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe i'm saying this.

But as someone who tried to keep up with this through almost all of the second LN series: Please let this franchise die.

Touma is becoming insufferable, the cast is bloated and unwieldy, not even the power combat can save it as it's getting stale.

This LN series is a relic of the past, just let it die in peace.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a prequel.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
^ Don't think so. There's not much that could really happen in a prequel, given the way NTR happened

spoiler[I will not give context to that]
Stiles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The title is certainly curious, but I doubt it'll be a prequel. Given how NT wrapped, it would be really mean to turn back the clock for who knows how many novels.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I never got why it has to be a new series if it just directly continues the story from where it last left off. It doesn't really feel like a sequel as a result.

Guess they really don't want the volume numbers to get too high cause at this point Index has over 40 volumes.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

But as someone who tried to keep up with this through almost all of the second LN series: Please let this franchise die.

Touma is becoming insufferable, the cast is bloated and unwieldy, not even the power combat can save it as it's getting stale.

I completely disagree. The series is still amazing imo and I can't wait to see what Kamachi does with it next. And come on relic of the past? Yeah it's old but it's still more popular than like 95% percent of all other light novels.

What volume of NT did you stop on anyway? Most people, myself included enjoy it a lot more than OT so I'm kinda surprised to see someone stop enjoying it there.
micah007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
God I wish this series was translated faster. NT isn't even available yet.
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
POGGERS! can't wait to read it. hopefully they'll adapt it too after new testament!
Reinheit Hezen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
20 volumes more to read......and now i remember the author saying he has enough ideas for 100 volumes.....
OH&S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
I completely disagree. The series is still amazing imo and I can't wait to see what Kamachi does with it next. And come on relic of the past? Yeah it's old but it's still more popular than like 95% percent of all other light novels.

I concur.

NT18 to NT22R (minus NT19) were among best novels Kamachi has written and ended the series with a huge bang.
NT18 answered all of the burning questions about Academy City.
NT21 was the single greatest battle action volume that Kamachi has ever written and contained one of the top 5 (maybe top 3) greatest battles in the franchise.
NT22R was another wonderful look at the psyche of Kamijou Touma and finally lifted the lid to the last remaining great mystery of the series as well as dealt with the memory issues and story beats all the way back in Series 1 Volume 1; also Kamijou murdered his opponent in cold blood (always doing new things with his character).

Scion Drake wrote:
I never got why it has to be a new series if it just directly continues the story from where it last left off. It doesn't really feel like a sequel as a result.

Guess they really don't want the volume numbers to get too high cause at this point Index has over 40 volumes.

There is some logic behind doing so. Perhaps this post can help explain.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I love the index series but I sure hope the series doesn't go on forever and actually has a clear ending in mind
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is kinda nuts.

Even if I can't count myself as a up to date fan anymore, I still have a soft spot for it, for all the good times it gave me during those... Jesus nearly a decade of my life. I felt a little something at the prospect of it ending seeing a few of the LN illustrations from the respective volumes, and now all I'm feeling is:

"HA! Madman Kamichi's back at it again!"

Hope the fans who are up to date are still having fun with it, and will continue to do so!
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

But then how else can they milk otakus out of their money to buy Misaka figurines and body pillows?
Lero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:

But then how else can they milk otakus out of their money to buy Misaka figurines and body pillows?

Fun considering her ship is a submarine at this point.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:

I concur.

NT18 to NT22R (minus NT19) were among best novels Kamachi has written and ended the series with a huge bang.
NT18 answered all of the burning questions about Academy City.
NT21 was the single greatest battle action volume that Kamachi has ever written and contained one of the top 5 (maybe top 3) greatest battles in the franchise.
NT22R was another wonderful look at the psyche of Kamijou Touma and finally lifted the lid to the last remaining great mystery of the series as well as dealt with the memory issues and story beats all the way back in Series 1 Volume 1; also Kamijou murdered his opponent in cold blood (always doing new things with his character).

oh really, and pray tell what was this "ending"; because the fact that it's still continuing means the story isn't ending.

But just to answer soem question, i tried and failed to read NT17 but at that point, Touma's self aggrandizing behavior was irritating to my college age self, the plot and story were becoming contrived, the world building was becoming incoherent and felt more like Kamichi adding things at random to keep his cash cow afloat.

so tell me in spoilers what exactly has he added or revealed? because i doubt that "deep look" at Touma is enough to make me see him as a fully fleshed out character
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2