• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog Film's Teaser Previews Japanese Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
I’m surprised they didn’t just get the Sonic’s Japanese VA from the games for this, then again they didn’t hire Roger Craig Smith for the American release of the movie either
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Lol'd at amount of dislikes. And pretty much most of the comments are "Where's Junichi Kanemaru?". Replacing him was a very bad move.
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
replacing VAs in movies is common.. sadly.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard the Japanese dubbed Sonic before so I think it sounds good so far. As always, there are the lips/mouths not matching what's being said but oh well. Even if it's just a trailer, I hope they at least add a few Japanese cultural additions language-wise to make it smoother.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Lol'd at amount of dislikes. And pretty much most of the comments are "Where's Junichi Kanemaru?". Replacing him was a very bad move.

I'm surprised they did that, since to my knowledge, Japan is pretty big on keeping the VAs the same for a character (excluding scandal/health/death reasons, of course). I still remember a couple years back when people were mad that they replaced one of the VAs for a Jewelpet character, although that was a messed up situation iirc.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is a similar situation where they replaced the main Sonic voice for a celebrity or "bigger" name.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Probably did it to be cheap. The Simpsons Movie did the same thing of replaces VAs and I think only Sailor Moon from Sailor Moon Crystal got to keep her character.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Digimon Adventure Tri also replaced all the VAs for the human characters and Fruits Basket 2019 did a full recast.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Digimon Adventure Tri also replaced all the VAs for the human characters and Fruits Basket 2019 did a full recast.

Fruits Baskets was recast at the request of the mangaka. She didn't want anything from the old anime and demanded all new seiyu.

It's entirely possible Sega did it for budgeting reasons, but there's also the fact it's the live-action version so they could have decided to separate the two like how the English VA is also changed. Could have been a request from the film studio as well.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Digimon Adventure Tri replaced the cast because they're older and they wanted voices to reflect that (though in so many other cases ageing didn't stop female VAs from voicing a male character)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1