• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassins Pride

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
At this point, I'd rather read the manga, (if it would be picked up by someone stateside, fantastic) then continue watching an adaptation whose quality is deteriorating episode by episode.

The manga is quite enjoyable so I hope it and/or the LN get licensed at some point. Due to the anime rushing through the source material, all we see is the skeletal framework of the series. It doesn't do the series justice as a result when you cut away everything that fleshes out the characters and the world.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Light novel readers, enlighten me please. Was there really no way for Kufa to teach Rosetti how to control her vampiric urges like how he presumably can instead of brainwashing her again? Because that whole segment really left a nasty taste in my mouth.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Light novel readers, enlighten me please. Was there really no way for Kufa to teach Rosetti how to control her vampiric urges like how he presumably can instead of brainwashing her again? Because that whole segment really left a nasty taste in my mouth.

spoiler[It's primarily since his guild will kill her if her memories aren't suppressed. They can't have the risk of people finding out about two half vampires.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
Magical being turns into giant spider monster, has spider monsterlings and has to be stamped out by the good guys to its last evil iota to make sure its reoccuring evil is no longer reoccuring.

This is more It than It Chapter 2.

I really did like the shift though, from vampires and shapeshifters to a fifteen foot tall spider that had no foreshadowing or explanation why it was suddenly there. Here There Be Monsters indeed. I like it. Still, I wasn't a 100% sold on Rosetti's story, not that it couldn't be controlled or her mana be hidden but the fact that she called the boy she knew suddenly accepted into her family "onee-chan". Yeah, that made my eyes roll...

Come on, Japan, you're better that that. We both you're not but please, try next time.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
The full truth about Kufa has finally come out: he's a half-lancanthrope

Huh? He literally already said that back when he first did his bargain bin vampire transformation in episode 3.

[Edit: Just went back and checked to make sure I was remembering things right, and it's spelled out really clearly. That wasn't just me reading between the lines of some subtle dialogue.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:
The full truth about Kufa has finally come out: he's a half-lancanthrope

Huh? He literally already said that back when he first did his bargain bin vampire transformation in episode 3.

[Edit: Just went back and checked to make sure I was remembering things right, and it's spelled out really clearly. That wasn't just me reading between the lines of some subtle dialogue.]
You'll have to forgive Theron, I think we were all shocked when Kufa Vampyr turned out to secretly be a Vampire. You have to really read between the lines to see how the author weaved that big reveal throughout the narrative of all that came before.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^ You're evil. Twisted Evil

Quote:
Hence a cabal of nobles has taken it upon themselves to eliminate Melida before any whiff of a scandal can break out.

I thought the plan was to drag the scandal out into the light to ultimately oust the Duke? Is there more than one cabal? Could be!

Quote:
But how did they know to go there and that the two girls would be in trouble?

Because they were at the meeting and were in on the plot?

I heartily agree that the "guardian" ghosts are pretty counterproductive. If they want to protect the library's contents they should just be poltergeisting around hiding the sought after books or something, instead of initiating battles that wreck both the collection and the infrastructure.

Nitpick: If Goat means “greatest of all time” it's an acronym, not an anagram. But I think "goat" just means goat. A Vibria is a female dragon, breasts and all, referenced in the Catalan Bestiary (now I wonder if the cat-eye (dragon-eye?) uniform bodice is some obscure reference to a Vibria) . So I imagine a Vibria Goat would be some sort of hybrid dragon-goat beast created for this universe. They probably chose goats since they're tied into all sorts of magical and ritual lore.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
People switched sides so much in this episode it was like watching a tennis match. I was still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for its ongoing silly entertainment value until they stopped in the middle of their timed quest against ghosts and puzzles to have a friendly boob groping session. Rolling Eyes I've grown so weary of that trope that it's an automatic 2 star deduction for any episode the uses it. And if boobs are "wrapping around [your] fingers," I say run away, girl! Shocked Those are tentacles, not breasts!
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
shouldn't it be season finale? even if it doesnt get more adapted, it still has more content.and the novel is ongoing.
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
That last paragraph for ep 12 basically sums up the series unfortunately. If the animation quality was a tad better and the story adjusted a bit it could have been a decent series.

I enjoyed it despite the wonky story, but the weird faces and mediocre fight scene choreography was a disappointment. I was at least hoping the final battle to have a bit of style to it but it was also very generic-ish. Oh well...
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The most disappointing series I followed this Fall, especially after that very good first episode. It was a slow dearth march of animation quality and story. A pity. I'd read the manga, though....hint, hint....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2