• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Franchise Gets New Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Dōkōkai TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
This announcement comes as a surprise to no one, I'd imagine. The fact that Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS posits the PDP girls as equals to μ's and Aqours kind of begged the question "so when do they get their own anime?"

Speaking of… editorial nitpick here:
Quote:
The franchise's staff introduced the members of Nijigasaki Academy's Idol Appreciation Club in 2017 as part of the game's "Perfect Dream Project" (PDP).

It's unclear what "the game" refers to here, since no game is mentioned in the lead paragraph or the headline, and Love Live isn't thought of primarily as a game franchise.

BelayaPanthera wrote:
Post Removed

If you look at disc sales stats on someanithing.com, you'll see Love Live! in the 2010s is outselling Gundam by a factor of anywhere from 5:1 to 10:1. For example, in 2014, Reconguista in G sold 9,012 (which is great!), but Love Live S2 sold 67,366. If we're going to second guess what Sunrise "should do", we can't blame them for going after where the money is.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
This announcement comes as a surprise to no one, I'd imagine. The fact that Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS posits the PDP girls as equals to μ's and Aqours kind of begged the question "so when do they get their own anime?"

I wonder if it's going follow the All Stars storyline where both μ's and Aqours are active at the same time? Considering it's more of a tie in to the game than either previous series, it might well go that route. Although early Sunshine really suffered from being fixated on μ's too much.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I wonder if it's going follow the All Stars storyline where both μ's and Aqours are active at the same time? Considering it's more of a tie in to the game than either previous series, it might well go that route. Although early Sunshine really suffered from being fixated on μ's too much.

The game is non-canon. I think it would be virtually impossible to link the story lines directly in that manner without time travel since Sunshine takes place several year after the original series.
BSW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
They COULD alter the timeline for an All Stars, but really I think it's not going to happen.
I think their best choice would be to start everything anew, without Muse or Aqours being a thing. The new artstyle also seems to suggest that.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
Something to note that the first Love Live series got dubbed by Bang Zoom!, and then Sunshine gets dubbed by FUNimation. I wonder if this third series will get a different dub studio just to keep the coincidental pattern.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
If the girls have some personality, I'll give it a shot. I enjoyed the first Love Live, I just can't do another Love Live Sunshine where I could only identify them based on their personal shtick or painful catchphrase/verbal tick.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yesssss, finally!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quite a bit of idol fare for 2020, it makes up for this year, which was bad for anime, even the anime of Lapis Re:Lights is getting released next year.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Between this, Bang Dream, Lapis Re:LIGHTS and Heyakyan, it's lookin like I'm gonna be well fed in 2020
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
why the fck one of the girls have her face hidden with that tablet thing? thats soo stupid, whats the point of her been an idol if she hides her face like that? :/
loveliver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Something to note that the first Love Live series got dubbed by Bang Zoom!, and then Sunshine gets dubbed by FUNimation. I wonder if this third series will get a different dub studio just to keep the coincidental pattern.

I feel like it's gonna be licensed and dubbed by Funimation anyway.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Spooky Blades wrote:
why the fck one of the girls have her face hidden with that tablet thing? thats soo stupid, whats the point of her been an idol if she hides her face like that? :/

Seems more creepy than stupid. It's been the hardest thing to get past with the new girls.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Spooky Blades wrote:

She's probably based on ClariS, the duo (one who even retired and got replaced) who have done live performances and interviews yet still remain completely anonymous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I was literally waiting for this announce for very long time. (Since the Sunshine movie basically). Now my sunday got better with this notice.
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Spooky Blades wrote:

Her character trait is supposed to be that she doesn't express her emotions, so she uses either drawings in a notepad (for everyday use) or the digital board (when on stage) to display expressions of emotion. (Whether it'll work in the actual anime, obviously, remains to be seen; since the characters were created as just game characters, there was probably less expectation that the quirks had to make sense.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2