• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
There were panty shots? Were those extremely loose pluffy shorts they were wearing under the skirt supposed to be their panties? That has be the least erotic panty shot I've seen in anime if that's the case.
GodWhomIsMike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
This show turned into a massive disappointment.
MC: "Didn't I Say to Make My Anime Average in the Next Life?!"
Producer: "Say no more fam."
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm seeing an ongoing source of Average Abilities' issues is that it can't muster the non-Mile members of the Crimson Vow to do interesting things on their own, rather than acting as an entourage.

One significant element that was highlighted in the light novels but seemingly got lost in translation is precisely that the other three members were able to accomplish as much as they did on their own, without relying on Mile. I was surprised, in fact, that they didn't have to work out how to get the rock lizard carcass back to town without Mile's storage ability. Nevertheless, the episode showed implicitly that the others have grown as hunters, even if they are better off supporting their resident "average" catastrophe.

Edit to add: Hurrah for the thumbnail on the article lede. Yankee Pauline was one of the funniest bits all season.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
I would have loved this episode were it not for the eight or so instances of the boob envy joke. Why is this show so confident in this one shitty recurrent joke? Even if the content of it weren't crap it has been overdone so much all over the medium that I doubt ot can garner a chuckle anymore.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I would have loved this episode were it not for the eight or so instances of the boob envy joke. Why is this show so confident in this one shitty recurrent joke? Even if the content of it weren't crap it has been overdone so much all over the medium that I doubt ot can garner a chuckle anymore.

Ah, but you see, instead of using the hundreds of actually funny jokes from the LN, the anime subverts your expectations by replacing them with yet another tired anime-original boob joke! Truly the peak of comedy, this adaption is.

For real though, watching this show is painful as a fan of the source material. It's basically a mix of poorly abridged original content and straight up fanfiction, with most of that fanfiction consisting of boob jokes and even the bits that were there originally have been made worse by replacing actually funny stuff with even more boob jokes. Sure, the light novels do have some boob jokes in them, but they're just a drop in an ocean of varied comedy while with the anime you'd struggle to keep a "minutes since last boob joke" counter from reaching double digits...
HannoX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Another episode that illustrates that the LNs are much better than the anime.
michizure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
In a very real sense, light novels are written by a single author but adapted to anime by committee. It shows.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
That was all over the place. A test to prove the three of them right after an episode where they did exactly that, then the tester cancels the test and THEN the consequences show up.
That was a weird pace.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, Mile dealing with the beast-kin was considerably more subtle in using her abilities (and funnier), if still as thorough a trouncing in the end.

I have not been a fan of how the anime has rushed through some of the more thoughtful things Mile has done. She's not stupid -- presumably, her native intelligence is as "average" as her other abilities, though she doesn't seem to notice much of a difference from before she was reincarnated. She's just clueless sometimes, for a variety of well-justified reasons. In the novels, she spends a lot of effort to find slick and sneaky ways of dealing with problems when time permits. This has been largely abandoned in the anime.

I see that we were not able to get through an episode without at least one boob joke, though this one was at Pauline's expense.
michizure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The part of the fight that actually involves fighting could have stood to be a little less static though, in my opinion. As-is it plays out at a surprisingly turn-based clip, ...

I think this was a casualty of sticking close to the novels for the ruins setting, more than a lack of resources. The chamber they were in was barely big enough for three elder dragons, much less a lot of dynamic action and maneuvering. Fixing that would have required a much different space.

There is also the complacency of the elder dragons -- compare how they stay put and just try to overpower Mile with the way her friends were desperately dancing around fighting the first one. If they had taken Mile seriously and spread out to attack, she probably couldn't have handled them all. As such, the lack of tactics was necessary to the narrative outcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3