• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So uh, rather than just telling Hose that she loves Joro (something that Pansy had no issue with saying to other people at the start of this series) instead Pansy decides to have an agreement to date the guy who had no issue with trying to rape her.

This show's second half just got worse and worse.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I still feel like this series wants to be both a riff on love comedy and still wants to have Joro maintain his lovely girls harem thing so I am a little worried about how itll frame the end of the series. Because in the end Joro wants to do what Hose has done. He wants to keep being with all the girls while also getting his girlfriend.

This is my biggest problem with the show because it doesn't truly excel at either. The best comedy came from the first few episodes when Joro was trying to help Cosmos and Himawari get with Sun because their efforts were utterly inept. By this last episode, the plot has turned into harem vs harem. When looking at Hose and Joro, it is clear to me that Joro is actually the one who is most generic, rather than Hose. The only distinguishing differnece between Joro and most harem leads is that Joro wants a harem. There are examples of harems where the main character is an asshole or the female characters all voice their love for the main and become love rivals. I cannot think of any examples of harems where the MC is focused on one character while the others try to get the two together.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
[quoteCryten wrote:
I still feel like this series wants to be both a riff on love comedy and still wants to have Joro maintain his lovely girls harem thing so I am a little worried about how itll frame the end of the series. Because in the end Joro wants to do what Hose has done. He wants to keep being with all the girls while also getting his girlfriend.[/quote]

I think you're missing the point & not reading Jouro well enough. ORESUKI is trying to subvert the Harem category. Yes, when we start Jouro just wants his own harem (a la Ise from DxD, other romcoms) and he's willing to do anything including been a horrible friend and 2-face to his 2 princesses to get with them. It all came crashing down when Bench-kun showed up though. Add Pansy stalker (& maybe sadistic) behavior towards him and his all but done with his wishes for now. But that isn't true evolution so Pansy is pushing him to be better and not be another Hose that just plays with other girls feelings (she knew long ago that Cosmos &Himawari liked him with really knowing it... Hence the referee stalking). Pansy isn't a chicken either and she wants a decision (JouroxPansy) but not at the expense of their friends so Pansy is pushing them all to be honest with themselves and go all out to not have any regrets and hopefully remain friends afterwards. But, remember that this is a LN series and it's to the benefit of the investors to keep the story going. So my guess is that we'll see 2 regional/national baseball games (current & next year) to properly reject/accept everyone's feelings. So the Harem/Pansy are there to move the plot. Pansy is already sure of what she wants and she's going to Force everyone along for the ride.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So uh, rather than just telling Hose that she loves Joro (something that Pansy had no issue with saying to other people at the start of this series) instead Pansy decides to have an agreement to date the guy who had no issue with trying to rape her.

This show's second half just got worse and worse.

Because Pansy is such a great girl and literally wants to help Hose and the other 2 girls too. She's literally pushing everyone to be honest about what they want and to fight for it like she's doing (PansyxJouro). Also, if she just tells Hose that she loves/likes Jouro, Hose id's going to continue to stick around to support her. She doesn't want that. She wants Hose to understand that she's rejecting him and never giving him a chance and in turn for him to either accept/reject the other 2 girls and move on with their lives.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Yay I would like to reiterate that pansy is very much acting in character right now. She absolutely would pull this big elaborate plan to push joro and everyone else to be honest with their feelings. Now to be fair I think sun got off to easily as well, but that is the thing about forgiveness, it's better for everyone to move on and not hold onto that anger. Pansy can easily control sun and she knows it, so for better or worse she doesn't see him as a threat.

Hose on the other hand is another matter. there are two major problems for why she has a hard time dealing with him outside of what is Majorly stated in the review.
First off he is acting like some autistics who fall in love with someone in their friend group, and got rejected. but can't/won't understand that I don't want to go out with you, means don't push that button again, especially if the person is going out with someone.

Second everyone in her middle school was more loyal to her hose then her. so she didn't have her own group of people to counter act what hose and his friends where doing and work with to solve the situation.

The solution to the problem is also very obvious but we will have to wait to see if it is entertaining to see.

PS AND YES WELCOME TO ANIPLEX is joro incarnate, and this is why it can be entertaining from the side lines. Joro, sun, and pansy are not actually good people.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Several of you have far more faith in the series then I do. I hope your faith is repaid because so far Joro's treatment of the girls has been exactly like hoses minus the creepy pushing his love. I like that Joro has far more respect for his girls wills then Hose seems to have. However I see no difference between this nirvana idea of wanting to seek their own love while keeping being friends and the actions of the other girls.

The very thing that most of these romcoms struggle with is that choosing your own love will hurt people. And it needs to be done to help people find new paths. Paths that lead them away from where they are now. And that is where I am worried this series is going to cop out like most rom coms do. Its this understanding that another series that reported to treat with this issue OreGairu spent 2 seasons lyrically dancing around without addressing. Their crushes need to be given a room to die before they can maintain a longer lasting friendship.

Personally I've only seen this handled well in Toradora, Gamers!' original ending (the novel went the wrong way), and a rare few others.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Several of you have far more faith in the series then I do. Personally I've only seen this handled well in Toradora, Gamers!' original ending (the novel went the wrong way), and a rare few others.

well it does help that an OVA (assuming that is what we are getting) would just get us enough time to do an ending that would give an (obvious) ending that actively supports what the series has said. obvious cheap business tactics asside that would be the best place to end the anime and just imply what happens afterword rather actually going into it.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Several of you have far more faith in the series then I do. I hope your faith is repaid because so far Joro's treatment of the girls has been exactly like hoses minus the creepy pushing his love. I like that Joro has far more respect for his girls wills then Hose seems to have. However I see no difference between this nirvana idea of wanting to seek their own love while keeping being friends and the actions of the other girls.

The very thing that most of these romcoms struggle with is that choosing your own love will hurt people. And it needs to be done to help people find new paths. Paths that lead them away from where they are now. And that is where I am worried this series is going to cop out like most rom coms do. Its this understanding that another series that reported to treat with this issue OreGairu spent 2 seasons lyrically dancing around without addressing. Their crushes need to be given a room to die before they can maintain a longer lasting friendship.

Personally I've only seen this handled well in Toradora, Gamers!' original ending (the novel went the wrong way), and a rare few others.

Well that's just it; the second a girl in a harem is rejected, their fans will inevitably stop reading the series because they lost their primary emotional investment. It's why most series end after the main couple get together because the primary hook of the series is resolved.

The last thing authors want is for people to stop reading their series, hence why they have to create these scenarios where the characters are stuck in an emotional limbo. It gives both the harem (and the audience) continued hope and therefore, they'll keep buying the series.

I'm not gonna say this series has genius writing or anything, but I feel it has some merit in calling that situation out and how it can be emotionally damaging to everyone. To that end, I feel setting up the generic harem scenarios that led to this finale justifies it.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Toradora is one of those series that I can't get into. It takes way to long for me to like Taiga to keep it up. I turned it off when I realized the only ending I wanted for her was to stand in for Megumi in the finale of Shiki. I've reached my lifetime limit of 'punch first, ask never' Tsycho Tsundere characters.
bennyl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
"ostrichsized" of being similar size to a large flightless bird.

Last edited by bennyl on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
So what did everyone think of the evil Jose? Personally the most surprising thing to me was that cherry and the other girl just where not phased at all by jose.

I saw the ending (post bet) to be a parody of VN/Harrem endings where supposedly it's fine for there to be multiple relationships. With the undercut being that PANSY DOESN'T WANT A BOYFRIEND, atleast not at the expense of the friends she has right now. So the idea of them not getting together now but later on when the baggage is dealt with/not as big a weight on her makes sense.

If people want to see it as a legit gay ending, more power to you have with your Sun X Joro ending.
michizure

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
I infer from this that Cherry and Tsukimi saw the book when it fell, recognized it (maybe after looking inside) as belonging to Pansy, and deliberately messed it up.

Called it.

Quote:
Let me also note for the record just how unusual for a harem rom-com Tsubaki, trap or not, has turned out to be. She has been friendly and helpful to the protagonist, Joro, and his friends, without apparently falling for him or looking for anything in return. The hijinks surrounding her are conspicuous by their absence. My expectations have been thoroughly subverted.

Also true to the end, and worth repeating.
Ryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewer was a bit harsh with the finale. To me the challenge itself was entertaining nonsense, but ultimately had the best conclusion with Pansy's decision being the only thing that mattered. I hope we get another season.

Evil Hose seemed rather unnecessary, but did make his loss more satisfying.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ryw wrote:
I think the reviewer was a bit harsh with the finale. To me the challenge itself was entertaining nonsense, but ultimately had the best conclusion with Pansy's decision being the only thing that mattered.

I think it is very fair to say the series peaked in its first volume. Hose makes sense for a final villain I think and worked as a good foil to joro if nothing else but to show how far he came.
This ova could have easily been half the length though I think.

I would have actually been really upset with the writing of the show if anyone but pansys opinion ended up mattering though in the end. The whole story would have turned sour for me if anyone else saved/forced her in the situation. Yes she wanted to date joro and keep her friends but she needed to be the one who said that.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
Im guessing the LN goes past all this

because the manga ended this week and its diff from this OVA lol..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10