• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
^Well, if you find that I "sound" confrontational or angry, please let me know as I can assure that is not what I am and I'll correct it. Also, I hope you and others see that I try not to take the position that "I'm right and you're wrong regardless" as some do and I look forward to reasoned discourse.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I just want the human combustion to turn out to be the reverse rapture so bad
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
JB wrote:
...that has to be building to something, right?
If this were a show like some where every detail has relevance you might be right and it would be interesting to see how. FF doesn't seem like that though, guess we'll see...
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
JB wrote:
If this were a show like some where every detail has relevance you might be right and it would be interesting to see how. FF doesn't seem like that though, guess we'll see...

Actually a lot of the details do have relevance, but unless the series gets more seasons they aren't gonna mean much.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
JB wrote:

Actually a lot of the details do have relevance, but unless the series gets more seasons they aren't gonna mean much.

The first 2 cours will end at a certain point that will be the partial lifting of the veil. If it continues at the same pace for the next 2 cours, they will probably end with a cliffhanger. In-between, there will be more clarity and relevance of the many bits scattered around in this first part.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
JB wrote:

The first 2 cours will end at a certain point that will be the partial lifting of the veil. If it continues at the same pace for the next 2 cours, they will probably end with a cliffhanger. In-between, there will be more clarity and relevance of the many bits scattered around in this first part.

Yeah you're right about that. I couldn't remember if 24 more episodes was confirmed to be true or not that's why I said what I did.
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
I loved the science/science fiction exposition from the recent episode. Usually authors don't care to at least ATTEMPT rationalization of fantastic abilities. This can lead to callous combat mechanics and by extension narrative problems that make it difficult for suspension of disbelief. On a personal note some authors can also ignore how interesting and scary science can be so that's notable to me, even if it breaks up fluid combat and if again the exposition leans heavily on science fiction. Lich having a mental breakdown and looking like a typical mad scientist attempting to make sense of it all is hilarious so hopefully that made the exposition a bit more bearable for viewers who don't find particle physics interesting lol.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
I loved the science/science fiction exposition from the recent episode. Usually authors don't care to at least ATTEMPT rationalization of fantastic abilities. This can lead to callous combat mechanics and by extension narrative problems that make it difficult for suspension of disbelief. On a personal note some authors can also ignore how interesting and scary science can be so that's notable to me, even if it breaks up fluid combat and if again the exposition leans heavily on science fiction. Lich having a mental breakdown and looking like a typical mad scientist attempting to make sense of it all is hilarious so hopefully that made the exposition a bit more bearable for viewers who don't find particle physics interesting lol.

I do have to give Fire Force credit. Anytime some strange new power leaves me wondering how it would relate to manipulating heat, it comes up with an explanation that works. Shinra and Sho manipulating time, but coming at it from essentially opposite methods was pretty cool.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
I loved the science/science fiction exposition from the recent episode. ...hopefully that made the exposition a bit more bearable for viewers who don't find particle physics interesting lol.
As a physicist the only thing I can give the author is they know more terms than average and they have heard some very "out-there" speculation, otherwise the explanation is nonsense. Not that I'll fault them too much, it still boils down to magic because the "science" is so far off-base. Not sure if I prefer leaving it as just magic or trying to tie in science-words..

Ep23- Is that a sword sticking out of your chest or are you just happy to see Sho? I think I liked the show better when they weren't so serious because it seems to be making less sense as time goes on...
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
For all those who are uncertain, Funimation confirmed Season 2 is coming in 2020.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/12/27/fire-force-season-2-2020-anime-funimation/
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, this show ends on a bit of a mixed note for me. On one hand we have an emotionally charged final episode that includes a gorgeously animated fight between Shinra and Captain Burns and a revelation that really got to me. But... then it ends with a post credits scene that reminds me how much I REALLY don't like this shows sense of humor and how half the cast actually annoys the hell out of me. It feels like Okuba's comedy and character writing hasn't improved at all since his Soul Eater days (which is another series whose comedy I find aggressively unfunny). So yeah, mixed emotions towards this show. I don't regret finishing it but I still can't help but feel like it could have been so much better if only it hadn't been so choked full of crap that almost forced me drop it.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She's just been in the background

That’s like every character not named Shinra or Aurther though....
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What was Bench-kun doing in episode 24? Shocked

jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This show was awesome! Great humor, though I agree that the whole 'whoops I'm falling out of my clothes with my boobs in your face' thing is just boring cliche that is thankfully minimal. Sexy funny stuff can still be done right if you don't get so lazy.

Action was awesome. Great visual direction, outstanding use of cuts and backgrounds taking a page from SHAFT's style. Good characters, great sense of intrigue. One of the best shows of the year with a refreshing spin on the shounen genre.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
I think it's kind of an unintentional blessing that Tamaki was increasingly moved into the background. Expecting a strong character arc seems like it's asking too much; hiding her in the background is about as good as can be expected, insofar as it seems to explain the much reduced rate of LLL uses later in the season.

I do think Fire Force deserved a second season, despite its many problems, so I'm glad to see it got extended. I hope whichever characters they choose to focus on are handled with a little more substance going forward. It's a very pretty show --- just needs a bit more effort on the main cast's personalities, motivations, & development to make it quite good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 17