• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Residents Near Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio Building Raise Concerns about Proposal for Mem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hey when the fudge is the guy in hospital gonna be arrested? If he can speak can't they interrogate him in the hospital?
Reyias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the fence about this whole thing.

On one hand, a memorial park to respect those who were lost due to this tragedy is morally right. It was an awful nightmare for those involved, and was a devastating blow to the anime community. A memorial is a good idea...on paper.

But looking at the reality of the situation makes me side with the neighborhood. They want to avoid having this whole situation continue to be relevant, because it directly impacts their own living. I certainly wouldn't want people coming into my neighborhood, even if it's to pay respects. Why? Because not everyone is the respectful type. There are those who will pester the residents of the area about it, people who might deface the memorial or people's homes nearby, or even the fear of a copycat coming and destroying the memorial violently.

The amount of possible complications would scare me if I lived around there. No matter what, people will still go there to pay their respects. But if I were a resident, I would want this whole thing to disappear sooner rather than drawing it out. Not because of disrespect to those who passed, but because the resident's life is now disrupted from something outside of their control.

Call it selfish if you want...but none of us live there. The cultural difference along with the complete disconnect of what those residents have to face...and you've got two very different opinions on the subject. I believe the residents of that area should have priority. They live there, they will be the ones that have to deal with whatever things come out of this. Other options should be considered instead of internal fighting, otherwise we're just making the whole situation worse for everyone instead of healing.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
When I first visited Hiroshima the realisation hit me that some of the older people there would have at least known what the city looked like before it was rebuilt. That realisation made me more respectful of such people.

After seeing the dome, the peace museum, and the fuel hall, I wondered where the actual ground zero was. In small writing it was marked on a map and at the site is a monument occupying a space less than 2 metres wide, high and deep in front of a building. It was clean, and there was nothing placed near it, and I was the only visitor at the time.

A small monument and a garden would be fitting for a memorial on the Kyoto Animation building site and as someone has already suggested, a museum at another location would be appropriate.
MoonStar9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
In my humble opinion, this "cultural differences" excuse can't be used to pardon every flippant reaction from people in other countries. Honestly, I don't even think I've seen it used to defend many countries besides the people of Japan. I think this request is rude, selfish, and heartless. I don't see how one could defend it.

Imagine 36 people being murdered and your response is how this might inconvenience you. Yes, you may have to put up with hundreds more people around your neighbourhood trying to pay their respects, but guess what - 36 people were burned alive! Even if it wasn't KyoAni the place they lost their lives deserves to be honoured.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
Part of the problem might be the demographics, in this case meaning older populace.
Japan has long had issues when trying to establish new daycare centers, as pushback from neighborhood associations have been overwhelming over perceived noise issues. In a way it's understandable when it concerns older people. But if every urban/suburban populace belongs in that category, which, unfortunately, is starting to come true in Japan, it becomes an issue about where the heck to build one still within city limits. If anything, it doesn't help make the demographics any younger. People have started to lose their tolerance of normal everyday living sounds, of which children are definitely a part of. Or should be... Confused
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
MoonStar9 wrote:
In my humble opinion, this "cultural differences" excuse can't be used to pardon every flippant reaction from people in other countries. Honestly, I don't even think I've seen it used to defend many countries besides the people of Japan. I think this request is rude, selfish, and heartless. I don't see how one could defend it.

Imagine 36 people being murdered and your response is how this might inconvenience you. Yes, you may have to put up with hundreds more people around your neighbourhood trying to pay their respects, but guess what - 36 people were burned alive! Even if it wasn't KyoAni the place they lost their lives deserves to be honoured.

Agreed.
What really confuses me about the "cultural difference regarding respect" argument is this: doesn't "respect" go both ways? Surely KyoAni wants to be respectful towards their neighbors. But at the same time, don't those neighbors also owe respect to the victims of the arson, their friends and families? Demanding that no memorial be built doesn't sound very respectful to me; quite the opposite, actually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3