• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime Of 2019

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I’ll echo James’s comments on Carole & Tuesday, which was also my favorite show of the year. I honestly think it could have been an international phenomenon if people all over the world were allowed to stream it legally while it aired weekly in Japan, instead of having to wait three months after each half of the show finished airing over there. Netflix’s binge-viewing model really doesn’t work for some shows, in my opinion.

Eh, lack of legal availability has never stopped an anime from being popular. It certainly didn't hinder Beastars, which hasn't even been released on Netflix yet. C&T didn't have any real buzz or discussion when it was airing so it seems like a show only a specific niche audience would be into.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Jefcat wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
A small errata: the main character of Vinland Saga is based on Thorfinn Karlsefni Thordarson, not Thorfinn Snoresson (Karlsefni's father was Thord Snorrasson).

Karlsefni is a byname rather than a surname. Like a nickname - Scandinavians didn’t really use surnames as we know them at that time.

Yes, I know, but Karlsefni is the name he's best known by. His father's byname was Horsehead. Smile My point was that his patronym was not "Snoresson," but Thordarson, since his father was Thord (Snorri was Thorfinn's grandfather). If James had just said he was based on Thorfinn Karlsefni, without any patronym, that would've been fine.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
5. Kaguya-sama - Out of my seasonal runners-up and honorable mentions, I find myself thinking about Kaguya the most, even though it aired all the way back in the winter. It was also the one that I am most excited about seeing more. I might even go so far as to say it was one of the best comedies of the decade, though probably not the best. At least it won't be much longer until the second season is out.

4. Chihayafuru - While I was sad to see the (more or less) titular character pass on the queen qualifiers, it has been great to see this series return.

3. AoT 3 Part 2 - Along with Part 1, it was the most consistently well animated season of the series and I was really interested by where they took Eren's character.

2. Vinland Saga - A epic, well animated, historical fiction that had a phenomenal ending. I can only hope that we get more some day.

1. Mob Psycho 100 II - While I thought the first season was great, the second season elevated the series to near or at the top of my best anime of the decade, let alone year, and I am far from alone in that sentiment. Mob Psycho's more consistently high level and inventive animation puts it over Vinland Saga for me.

Honorable Mentions: O Maidens, Demon Slayer, Symphogear XV, F/GO: Babylonia, Slime

Films
5. Konosuba: Legend of Crimson
4. I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
3. Sound Euphonium: Oath's Finale
2. Penguin Highway
1. Promare
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Iruma-kun get a mention. It's no anime of the year but it certainly deserves more eyeballs on it. It's just plain fun.
Javergara05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Javergara05 wrote:
Best anime of 2019 is Demon Slayer with its incredible animation and great characters backstory it had the best fight and level up of the year by far the best, honor mention to Dr Stone with its Greta story
I forgot about promised never land which would definitely be my number two.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Demon Slayer? Really? I watched 8 episodes and it's the most generic mediocre shounen action I can imagine. Has great animation though not so good art. Basically what a "Marvel anime" would look like.

Anime of the year was Granbelm for me. Followed by Promised Neverland. Although among continuing series I would think the 2nd part of the 3rd season of Attack on Titan was truly the most memorable thing I watched from this year so far. Another great shows I watched from 2019 were Dr. Stone, and the Rise of the Shield Hero, which is perhaps the best Isekai I ever watched. Also the second half of JoJo Golden Wind that aired this year, though I found it a bit weaker than previous arcs of JoJo. Overall, a good year but weaker than 2017-2018, specially in terms of slice of life stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: Most shows this year did not pique my interest in the slightest including about every one the reviewers said were best, so I vote only one best show Rising of the Shield Hero. Though it seems a little early, Runner Up was Ascendence of a Bookworm Almost second runner-up was Dr. Stone but since I've heard so much good about Promised Neverland I'd say that is the second runner-up best though I only watched a few episodes (just didn't "float my boat").

Not surprisingly, Best Characters are Naofumi, Raphtalia and Myne mostly for how realized they are and how much they grow.
Márcio Voltz Jardim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Vinland Saga
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr.Stone
The Promised Neverland
Blade
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
I'm still trying to catch up with some shows this late, but as of now, in no particular order:

Star Twinkle Precure
Kaguya-sama
Given
Machikado Mazoku
Beastars
Null Peta

Yep, that's 6 shows; Null Peta is a short however, but I think it's a damn good one, so it deserves a mention.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
Vinland Saga
Machikado Mazoku
The Promised Neverland
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Mix
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Best: Mob psycho 100

Then in no particular order: Kaguya-sama, Shield Hero, Demon Slayer and Vinland Saga.

Honorable mentions: Welcome to Demon school, How heavy are your dumbbells, Beastars and MHA S4.

Best character: A tie between Clara and Asmodeus (Both from Demon school)
Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
Attack on Titan and Vinland Saga.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:27 am Reply with quote
My top 5 anime of the year, in order:

#1 Star Twinkle Precure Movie ~Hoshi no Uta ni Omoi wo Komete~
This is easily my favorite anime (and anime film) of all year, but with a big caveat: One needs to be familiar with the TV series and its main characters in order to fully appreciate this movie. The biggest strength of this movie lies in how it is able to effectively tell a simple yet touching story of how Lala and Hikaru encounter an alien and interact with it and learn to respect what it really thinks, within 70 minutes. The movie essentially completes Lala's character arc, who in my opinion is one of the best written characters of this year. In a surprising twist, spoiler[the ending does not feature any boss fight but rather is a 10-minute long dance sequence], which is really fresh in my opinion. This is a movie that is perfect for both children and adults to watch on a Sunday, teaching the former some valuable life lessons while being a great nostalgic trip for the latter.

#2 Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel Episode 2: Lost Butterfly
Again, one would need to familiarize himself/herself with UBW as well as the first episode of HF to be able to understand this movie. That aside though, this has to be the most beautifully crafted work Ufotable has ever made, and I am pretty much including Demon Slayer. Shirou's character development as well as spoiler[Sakura's fall into darkness] are compelling, and I am very looking forward to how Episode 3 can continue from there.

#3 Violet Evergarden Gaiden
The Kyoto Animation tragedy was not something that anyone could have ever expected, and condolences to the wonderful talents who were involved in this painful disaster. Yet amidst all of this, Kyoto Animation was able to churn out this marvelous beauty of a work, showing the world that the company can still stand strong. Even if the tragedy had never happened, I would still be compelled to offer a spot to this work in my top anime of the year, because it is that good. The drama, the character writing, the music, and the animation are all gorgeous, and it also has one of the most beautifully choreographed sequence in all of anime history.

#4 Vinland Saga
Wit Studio made it big this year with two great productions: this, as well as the climatic conclusion to AoT's penultimate season. The former, however, is the better out of two in my opinion, with its more original setting and great character writing. Of course, any character would not be complete without its voice actor, and props to the excellent cast who gave the most marvelous performance this year, especially that of Askeladd's.

#5 Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Of course, any top anime list would require a comedy entry, and Kaguya-sama fits that perfectly, as the funniest anime of the year. On the surface, this looks like a traditional shoujo love comedy, but is actually brilliantly written, subverting the usual tropes with its witty dialogue. The direction and sound work complement the script excellently, and I was constantly at the edge of my seat expecting a funny twist to come up any time.

Honorable mentions, in order of the season they aired in:
Winter - Manaria Friends, Mob Psycho 100 II
Spring - Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu, AoT Season 3 Part 2, Fruits Basket Season 1
Summer - Joshikousei no Mudazukai, Dr. Stone, The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II, Granbelm, Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2
Fall - Beastars
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:13 am Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
4. My Roommate is a Cat - A touching heartwarming piece about introverted writer who finds his way to re-connecting with people and the outside world as a result of caring for a stray cat. This one avoids the cliches and really pulls the viewer in. I really wish this had a second season.

Actually, this anime has one common cliche. spoiler[The cat's human owner doesn't have a parents and he's an orphan. I'll admit, I'm disappointed to see another orphan character, because that an orphan trope is an overused and I think that killing off his parents in light-hearted anime is unnecesarry.]
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Best of 2019 is 3 days this year, with the final installment going up on Wednesday. Thursday we'll have Best of Fall 2019, Friday will be Most Anticipated Winter 2020, and then Saturday we'll begin Winter 2020 Preview Guide.

Thanks for all your quality content ANN, this sounds remarkably busy and time consuming for this time of year! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13