• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime Of 2019

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:48 am Reply with quote
Kinda disappointed the Mega Poll got cut this year.

Anyway, my top 5 is:

Honorable mentions: Fruits Basket, The Promised Neverland, O maidens in your savage season, Given, and Sarazanmai.

5.Demon Slayer

4. Carole and Tuesday

3. Dr Stone

2. Vinland Saga

1. Kaguya-sama Love is War.

As for movies:

Honorable mentions: Frozen II, Into the Spiderverse.

3. Weathering with You

2. Promare

1. Violet Evergarden: Side Story

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
My top 5 anime would be (in no particular order):

1. Mob Psycho S2
2. Dororo
3. Vinland Saga
4. BSD S3
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba

Top 5 characters (also in no particular order):
1. Hyakkimaru
2. Dororo
3. Inosuke (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
4. Legosi (Beastars)
5. Suika (Dr. Stone)

Honourable mentions:
1. My Roommate is a Cat
2. The Promised Neverland
3. Dr. Stone
4. Boogiepop and Others (specifically the adaptation of Boogiepop at Dawn)
5. Hitoribocchi
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
I forgot the characters from my last post, but here they are:

Hagoromo Lala, Amamiya Elena (Star Twinkle Precure)
Kiseki Raki (Aikatsu on Parade!)
Legosi (Beastars)
Null (Null Peta)
Yoshida Yuuko (Machikado Mazoku)
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Demon Slayer? Really? I watched 8 episodes and it's the most generic mediocre shounen action I can imagine. Has great animation though not so good art. Basically what a "Marvel anime" would look like.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It's fine, but it's a show with A++ animation and a C+ story. I was also not thrilled about how it stuffed its female lead in a box for 95% of the show despite her being the indisputably strongest fighter. (And when she wasn't in the box she was unconscious)

As for my favorite of the year, hmm, there was a lot I loved but no show that rose above the rest for me. Mob season 2 was excellent, I loved the Fruits Basket remake, Ascendance of a Bookworm wormed its way into my heart. Dr. Stone is fun, and Attack on Titan is always solid. Vinland Saga is probably the one that'll stand the test of time though.

The biggest disappointment though was definitely Fire Force. It had all the ingredients of a smash hit, but it could never quite pull its characters and story together enough to get most people invested. Pity, because those firefighter outfits were ripe for casual cosplay.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Created By the Horror of Late Stage Capitalism

Quote:
I do know what gluten is. Gluten's a vague term. It's something that's used to categorize things that are bad, you know? Calories, that's a gluten. Fat, that's a gluten... Gluten means bad shit, man, and I'm not eating it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Kinda disappointed the Mega Poll got cut this year.

It's still coming!
Raiyou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Come on now, this is ANN, of course their favorite character of the year has to be...

Tamaki of Fire Force

Laughing
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
1. The Promised Neverland
2. Attack on Titan S3
3. Vinland Saga
4. Demon Slayer
5. Dr. Stone
6. Kanata no Astra
7. Fruit Baskets
8. Dororo
9. Fairy Gone
10. Honorary mention: Kemurikusa (weird, but good!)
11. Fire force.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Galactic Mermaid is truly a song for our times. Its sentiments can be applied in so many different situations, all those times you feel the most appropriate response is to sing that song at the top of your voice.

A work of genius.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Everyone knows the best moment of the year was the five minutes of collective shock and disbelief everyone experienced when it turned out that W'z was not a stand-alone show, but a f*cking sequel to the infamous Hand Shakers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I think Steve Jones may be my favorite reviewer here now. Smile We agreed on 3 out of 5 of the top series (and I sure wasn't expecting Kemurikusa to be one of them), and if Stars Align had been finished, it would've been 4 out of 5, but I couldn't clear that hurdle yet.

I'm also in a toss-up between his choice for Best Moment from Given and the sublime koto performance our kids gave at the qualifying round in episode 25 of Kono Oto Tomare!. Enjoy the OST version. It's slightly different from the tv version (which I prefer), but without any voice overs.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Best 5 animes for me are:
1. Fruits Basket remake
2. Mob Psycho 100 season 2
3. O Maidens in Your Savage Season
4. The Promised Neverland
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.
An honorable mentions: Dr. Stone, Given, SAO Alicization - War of Underworld, Chihayafuru season 3, Teasing Master Takagi-San season 2, Sarazanmai, and (yup) One Punch Man season 2.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Everyone knows the best moment of the year was the five minutes of collective shock and disbelief everyone experienced when it turned out that W'z was not a stand-alone show, but a f*cking sequel to the infamous Hand Shakers.

“No, it can’t be... Holy crap, they’re really doing it! Why?!”

I won’t forget the terrible realization that I got duped into watching the first episode of a sequel to Hand Shakers anytime soon, but my favorite moment of 2019 was the end of Carole & Tuesday episode 16. Carole singing “Give You the World” while her idol Flora watched from the audience was tremendous.
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
[Isekai Quartet] doesn't miss any opportunity for an excellent joke, conflict, or meeting of the minds borne from characters of different series interacting...

... except an encounter between Emilia and Megumin, with Takahashi Rie doing both voices alternately in real time. Comedy gold, lying on the ADR booth floor.

I hold on to hope for the second season.
Nosferatox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Javergara05 wrote:
Best anime of 2019 is Demon Slayer with its incredible animation and great characters backstory it had the best fight and level up of the year by far the best, honor mention to Dr Stone with its great story

Ditto. I don't think anything else comes anywhere close to be huge phenomenon Demon Slayer was this year. Boosted the manga sales like crazy and the anime itself pretty much topped the charts and sales everywhere in it's own right. Easily the breakout show this year.

I mean no matter how you look at it there were better written shows this year. Demon Slayer is a by the book shonen with a basic premise and mostly predictable plot and great visuals, nothing wrong with that though. However Mob Psycho S2 had even crazier production values, episode 5 and 11 easily beat episode 19 of Demon Slayer. (and before you say anything go to sakugabooru, compare the entries of both shows and prove yourself wrong, even mundane actions were animated by some of industry's best animators) Yes, Demon Slayer was indeed a phenomenon, but so was DBS, so I don't think you should take that into account. But to each their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13