• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Step Up 2 Da Shelf

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! Those shelves are full of cuteness.

Were there any inserts in the original Gunslinger Girl releases? EDIT: Nevermind. Hm, but there were reversible covers on the originals...

Gah! Still need to get Simoun, but not sure if I should wait for any news on a box. I like art boxes... Razz

Last edited by Asrialys on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
I dunno. Should you really be that graphic on your "Step Up" review? There are kids on here, after all...Yeah, they probably already know what's up, but I imagine they expect you to cover the series in a
way which can be read without them getting caught by their parents and teachers. Just sayin... Wink
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, those shelves look awful hard to get to the DVDs with all the figures on them. But it's so cute and fluffy! So much pink Smile Adorable!

Simoun is good you say? Smile I'll have to check that out! Thanks!
Yoshball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Looking at those shelves got me thinking: If even girls' anime shelves are filled with figurines and dolls of anime girls, just how many male figurines (or should I say "action figures") are even made? Does anyone even buy dudes?

PS Call me a feminist, but I don't think I'd ever have a picture of one girl grabbing another girl's chest (Haruhi poster), even if I were a lesbian. It's just so much....male pandering.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:
Looking at those shelves got me thinking: If even girls' anime shelves are filled with figurines and dolls of anime girls, just how many male figurines (or should I say "action figures") are even made? Does anyone even buy dudes?

I have a Vash The Stampede and umm... a Claus from Last Exile and ....that's.... about it! There's a couple other male characters I'd be interested in owning, but have never seen decent figures.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
Princess Tutu figurine and Sailor Moon box set DVDs; that's my kind of kindred shoujo fan Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
YoshL Now that I think about it, I'm surprised there aren't many bishonen/yaoi figurines.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:

Just look at domestic magazines where popular men's magazines like FHM and Maxim have women on them and popular women's magazines like Seventeen and Cosmopolitan also have women on them. There is a difference on how these two categories of women are dressed. Likewise Rayna's figure collection definitely comes across as a very girly collection especially considering how much flesh can be seen on many figures these days. I also believe that Haruhi image is one of those free pencil boards that came with the DVD and not a poster that was purchased.

In regards to gender and figures I find it sad that 15 of the 17 Gundam Seed Rah DXs are women. Poor Kira doesn't even have a figure, yet Flay has two of them! I understand Lacus getting 3 figures, but do we really need 3 Lunamarias? I would expect a higher female figure ratio, but still find many big holes in this line due to the high demand for female figures.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:

I buy dudes. I have a fair amount of male figures, ranging from your Shinjis and Narutos to your Kenshins and Clouds. Of course, I buy a lot of female figures, too, but they tend to be either cute or sexy, while the dudes (minus Shinji) tend to be bad-ass.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
It's not common to see American fans of ElectromagneticWave, let alone a female one. She even has all three fairy tale picture books. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote
Oh man! I'm falling behind on Mushishi. I own both 3 and 4, but haven't watched them yet. Volume 5 is at the store waiting for me to buy it. I need to get busy...

Those are some awesome shelves! It does look like it may be a small chore to retrieve a DVD from the shelf, but ultimately worth it because it looks so cool. I need a bigger living space Sad
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
You know, I read "her friends claim Akihabara exploded all over her dorm room" and my first thought was, "hyeah, I bet THAT'S an exaggeration."
Then I clicked the pictures.
Yes. Yes it did indeed.
Yay! She has so many adorable Moetan figures and all the Moetan books; my sister is so jealous, she wants those so badly. (she only has one figure and one book) SO many cute figures. Looks like there's more girls who love moe than I thought! Very Happy
And the 'Hermes' number-plate is priceless!

As for male figures vs female figures...well, lets be honest. Female figures are much nicer to look at. They generally have nicer clothes, often with frills, which look awesome when the figure is made really well. Unless they got heaps of details like buckles and buttons and stuff, (ie, Vash the Stampede) clothing on male figures often doesnt look all that interesting. Anyway, the only male figures I currently own are Allen (D.Gray-man) Fai (Tsubasa) Syaoran (Tsubasa) and the Reindeer L nenderoid.
I'm considering sending a photo soon...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Man, Simoun is getting quite a good reception here for the ANN staff! Is this the first, more recent sub-only title that actually made it to Shelf Worthy? Shocked
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Man, Simoun is getting quite a good reception here for the ANN staff! Is this the first, more recent sub-only title that actually made it to Shelf Worthy? Shocked

I really enjoyed the first volume. One thing I noticed is the really good use of color. The two tone eye colors is a real neat effect. I still find it funny that there is a menu screen for language options which doesn't have ANY options. I assume that originally they were going to have a subs on or off button that they forgot to put on the page.

I believe Bamboo also praised IATV's recently released sub only Cat's Eye.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
My shelves have a fair few male figures...just not anime ones. Mainly GW Inquisitor figures as you can actually paint, convert and model those really nicely while anime figures tend to be static or soft springy plastic so they don't take well to cutting, re gluing, pinning...actually that could work as long as a decent rod was used... and they always come painted!

Simoun IS good, it does tend to fall back into a rut a few times (Stupid Neveril!) but in general it is a good show, very enjoyable to watch just with a rather...incomplete ending, things are 'explained' but badly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4